Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

10 Favorite Movies • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by timcsheehan, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I completely disagree, respectfully.

I actually don't rewatch even my favorite films all too often. Maybe once every 2 to 3 years on average for only the films that Im most connected to. I can think of 4 or 5

2. Davjs

Trusted

I dunno, I think with everyone having their own personal preference that isn't correct. No matter how much I listen to Thrice on a weekly basis or watch Kung Fu Panda all the time with my kid, I still love the hell of it. You write really well thought out thoughts @Morrissey but I think you try claims facts on topics that are purely subjective.

3. Morrissey

Trusted

This whole thread is people's opinions.

4. Morrissey

Trusted

Two to three years is an appropriate amount of time, allowing you to re-examine a work with the growth you have had as a person and as a consumer of films. There was someone in the old forum who had seen Star Wars 7 something like fifteen times in a three month period, and at that point you are just wearing out the whole thing.

5. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Kind of what I was getting at.

But I have also had There Will Be Blood, Barry Lyndon, or 2001 play in the background many a time to look at beautiful images or to passively admire while I spend my day doing something else, having already dissected their themes in prior viewings. Maybe there are those who would skewer me for that.

6. fronkensteen

Trusted

I watch 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford at least once a year, if not once every 6 months or so.

7. Lucas27

Trusted

+2 on the Holes love. Even though it's not in my personal favorite movie list, it's such an underrated movie that it makes my heart full when someone recognizes how great it is.

And dang. I forgot Lord of the Rings entirely. The series would be in my top 5 without a single doubt.

Also, There Will Be Blood, Pan's Labyrinth, and Children of Men might as well be in my top films as well. All incredible movies that I missed on my list.

8. Lucas27

Trusted

I feel like I appreciate 2001: A Space Odyssey a lot more than I actually enjoy it. I recognize the brilliance of it, but it's not enjoyable to watch for me.

9. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Yeah I like how Holes sets up a lot of things and ties everything together. The onions and peaches, the Yelnats/Zeroni relations, Kate Barlow, the warden and her relationship with all of this, shoes are consistently mentioned, all of that stuff is tied together so well imo, even if the logical part of me goes "really, the warden just so happens to run this camp that Stanley just so happens to get sent to and just so happens to have his family treasure and it just so happens to have madam zeronis great grandson?" But w/e it's a movie I can suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy it

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Holes the book is dope as hell, never watched the movie

11. CoffeeEyes17

Yeah the book is great. Check out the movie for sure. It's a good adaptation.

The book shows Stanley's relationship with the other campers better and goes into more detail about the curse and what not. But overall it's a real good adaptation

12. fronkensteen

Trusted

I know what you mean, but with this movie, I can't separate it's brilliance from my appreciation and sheer awe of what he did with it.

It transcends film in general to me.

Lucas27 likes this.
  13. CoffeeEyes17

That's how I feel about Apocalypse Now. I recognize its a masterpiece and a brilliant story/screenplay and all that, but it's not something I enjoy watching or want to watch often

14. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

alphabetically

Jurassic Park
    The Lion King
    Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
    Scream
    Star Wars Ep VII: The Force Awakens

That's all I can think of right now

15. Your Milkshake Sep 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 21, 2016)
    Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

There is more relevant ideas to a character like Colonel Kurtz than most. He is at once the victim and proprietor of the historical will to conquest and assimilate conflicting culture and ideaology. When he goes rogue to enjoy his plunder this makes the idea more personal, singular, and primal to the viewer instead of being removed from just another conflict of nations narrative.

16. Liz

Ew, David

The Princess Bride
    Moonrise Kingdom
    Her
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (the Rooney Mara version)
    The Blair Witch Project
    Carol
    Charade
    Big Fish
    Coraline
    Hocus Pocus

17. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Fuck I forgot The Lion King! What a film.

oakhurst likes this.
  18. michael_gatto

Trusted

Gonna give this a go, I have a hard time picking favorites.

Empire Strikes Back
    Evil Dead 2
    Drive
    The Social Network
    Cloverfield
    Shaun of The Dead
    In Bruges
    Galaxy Quest
    The Monster Squad
    Heathers

zach regan likes this.
  19. mad

I was right. Prestigious

The Social Network
    Dazed and Confused
    The Orphanage

For some reason I can only think of those three

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

no particular order
    1.Almost Famous
    2.High Fidelity
    3. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    4. Zoolander
    5. The Royal Tenenbaums
    6. Anchorman
    7. Mean Girls
    8. Legally Blonde
    9. Clueless
    10. Pleasantville

I have the worst taste

SpyKi likes this.
  21. Morrissey

Trusted

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  22. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Pleasantville's a good one. A lot of cool moments, and heart.

23. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Looks great to me.

24. mad

I was right. Prestigious

It's probably one of the best book-to-movie adaptations I've seen. Plus you get this musical treat:

25. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I like all those movies a lot. Particularly Mean Girls, I wish Tina Fey was doing more film writing post-30 Rock. High Fidelity is the only one I'm not sure would hold up if I saw it again, but it's worth it for the Springsteen cameo alone.