Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘What If Amazon.com Actually…Is A Horrible Website?’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Katie Notopoulos, writing for BuzzFeed News:

Amazon is cutting edge in so many ways — it magically drummed up a yearlong publicity cycle for an office opening in the two most obvious cities (New York and DC); it honed an expert precision tool for destroying brick-and-mortar retail businesses; it created a great place to work if you don’t mind peeing in bottles; it built a labor force of retirees living in RVs; it’s even a pioneer for shitting in people’s driveways. So many innovations.

And yet, somehow Amazon’s website, the place where it sells a gazillion things that make a gazillion dollars…sucks? The experience of shopping on the site itself fails in spectacularly stupid ways.

Raku and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  2. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

I wondered if anyone else felt this way... I always chalked it up to when you offer everything, you want to show it all and it created a jumbled mess.

Articles goes on about more then just that, but headline caught my eye.

3. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

development of the internet has pretty much just been an accelerated version of the development of the west and I'm p sure we're in the Rockefeller/Carnegie days right now. At least it's not the wild west days where I needed three antivirus programs just to go on it to feel safe and had to pray to the computer gods if I dared download a song off limewire.

4. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

there was once a time I'd post something like this on a myspace bulletin for clout though and I don't really have a parallel for that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. Drew Beringer Nov 22, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 23, 2018)
    also fuck Jeff Bezos

6. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

The Video app is putrid.

7. Raku

Regular

It's insane to see how far Amazon has fallen from grace these days in public perception. Amazon was beloved in its early days (and even just a few years ago), and they had an aura of goodwill around them. I even saw an interview with Bezos from the 90s/early 2000s where he seemed like a nice guy. Although nowadays I would tend to agree with critics (even though I too was a fan) when it comes to how the company is being ran. Working conditions, ineptitude when it comes to privacy concerns (like that Amazon key seemed/looks like a sketchy idea), and just general arrogance when it comes to everything really.

Just some observations I'm pointing out. Doesn't cover everything because then I would just have a long post ranting about Amazon.

8. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

Amazon is still really trusted by the average American. I don't have a link handy, but there was a survey recently that had them ranked higher than almost everything else in the country (as the top company, and ahead of most government entities).