Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Venom’ Trailer • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 24, 2018.

1. The comic book version of jobs, whispers, aren’t based on real life cause it’s a comic book.

fenway89 and Matt504 like this.
  2. zerotimeseleven

Excuse me while I go make a Batman movie without Bruce Wayne.

3. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Rethink this

coleslawed and slimfenix182 like this.
  4. 1) They totally should, there's been some fantastic Batman stories without Bruce.

2) Do you not know who Eddie Brock is .. ? I'm confused.

Davjs and fenway89 like this.
  5. Bass0820

I mean this looks exactly like the first Hulk movie. Very unoriginal. Not exactly holding my breath with this one.

zerotimeseleven likes this.
  6. zerotimeseleven

Actually that's a fair point. I'm a big fan of Batman Beyond (even though a lot of the stories have Bruce to some degree)

I meant it more like "Let me take away an essential part of what makes Batman interesting" like taking away Spider-Man from Venom. I'm not saying it can't be done, but from the looks of this trailer, I don't have high hopes.

7. We don't know they have. We don't know the story. But I'd argue some of the best Venom stories do not involve Spider-Man at all. I think @Tim (resident fellow Spider-nerd) would agree with that too. For example, I really liked Venom: The Enemy Within and the best stories don't have any Spider-Man.

GetUpAndrew, kielhauck and Tim like this.
  8. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

I dunno, I think doing it this way is going to do way more justice to Venom's character than putting him in another Spider-Man film. Plus, I don't thinks Spider-Man is what makes Venom an interesting character.

9. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Venom's antagonist relationship with Spider-Man was cool in a lot of ways, particularly with the lack of spider-sense. But, like, literally one year before the first appearance of Venom, Marvel did the whole villain-obsessed-with-Spider-Man-in-a-dark-story thing WAY better with "Kraven's Last Hunt." And, two years after Venom, Todd McFarlane channeled his larger-than-life violent nonsense better with "Torment."

Venom became way more interesting when his obsession with Spider-Man died down and he became instead defined by the tension between Eddie Brock and symbiote/Klyntar. Leaning into that from the start and forcing the character to have an identity outside of Spidey is the best thing that could happen to the character.

10. zerotimeseleven

That's actually really cool. I'm going to have to check those things out! Thanks and pardon my ignorance!

coleslawed likes this.
  11. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Man, every time you talk about Torment, I salivate. I need to read it.

12. Oskarr

Needled 24/7

Holding off judgment. Could go either way for me.

13. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

WE HAVE TO GO BACK. WE WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO LEAVE.

coleslawed and oldjersey like this.