Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘The Last Jedi’ Has Massive Opening Weekend • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

As a smoker who is seeing the movie tonight I REALLY appreciate the heads up on this piece of information about the movie

heymattrick and SEANoftheDEAD like this.
  2. zporter92

Regular

I'm just confused about people complaining about one-liners when the original trilogy is full of them

3. transrebel59

Regular

Overall, I enjoyed it. It had some of the best scenes of the entire series while also having some of the worst.

I think I was just letdown and expected more from Rian Johnson. Breaking Bad is my second favorite show of all time and his episodes are my favorite so I think I just had high expectations.

4. Ska Senanake

Trusted

30 more minutes of Luke milking one of those creatures for the blue milk.

Jonathan and Bryan Diem like this.
  5. Fucking Dustin

Just got home, I liked it a lot

6. circasurviver

Trusted

I got one at Disneyland in October, but I didn’t see any when I was there last weekend. Pretty hot item I guess. I hadn’t seen any of the trailers at that point so I was like “I have no idea what the heck this is, but I need it.”

7. Snuggly?

circasurviver likes this.
  8. circasurviver

Trusted

It’s fur is super soft, but you can feel it’s hard plastic innards if you hug it too tight. Still, it’s a nice companion to have on a long cold winters night

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. I’m ordering 5.

10. Kevin_MI

I liked the movie a lot, but it had some serious pacing and storytelling issues that held it back from greatness.

Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley really delivered in this one.

11. Eml182

Regular

I am fine with how they handled Luke, but this movie wasn’t good. There was a whole lot of circular narrative to serve the plot rather than push the movie forward, and some completely unnecessary decisions to serve up some serious cheese. Rogue One is probably my favorite of the new 3 and one of my favorites overall, but this one was chock full of rehashed drama. For instance, when a ship gets gutted, why is there a levitating rock??????

12. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Let me know how they are in person. I'm still kicking myself for not just buying the one I saw at the Disney Store in New York City. It's the best one I've seen so far. It was black friday and the line was like...down the stairs and out the door, and I assumed they'd have it online. I was wrong and I regret my choices every day.

13. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

haha yeah man, usually i hold my bladder...but I had a few beers before seeing it and had to make a quick run in the middle. couldn't hold it for another hour plus.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  14. Tom Ed

I liked it but as a huge fan of the franchise, there's so much to nitpick about. Why the BB-8/ATST scene again? Chewie did it already and felt better in that sense. Why bring Phasma back for nothing again? Why are Chewie and R2 on screen for 2 minutes? Rose/Finn storyline took me out of the movie. Ackbar being killed off so unceremoniously and early killed me - it should've been him to do the light-speed crash. Some BB8 scenes reminded me of the prequels (the coin scene, AT-ST). Good movie still, but feels like Rian went a little too off the rails. More excited to see what he'll do with a blank slate.

15. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I personally would have liked to see more of Phasma, as I thought she was a pretty interesting character from the get go – I would have liked to have seen more character building. BUT, that quick fight with Finn was definitely super entertaining. Kinda like Boba Fett in the originals, not much to the character, but still pretty engaging. I feel like Rian was trying to bring Star Wars to the next level – everyone loves R2, C3, Chewy, etc…but we can’t always have them. Sure, it’s super nostalgic to see them, but are they really necessary to give big roles at this point? I was fine with the Rose/Finn parts. It helped push Finns story forward, while introducing a new character. Finn showing he would sacrifice himself to save everyone was a huge step forward in his development, especially after Rose says “"That's how we're gonna win. Not fighting what we hate, saving what we love."

16. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

God, that annoyed me more than Leia's Mary Poppins space scene.

17. suppyguppy Dec 19, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 19, 2017)
    suppyguppy

Regular

I’ve made peace with the fact that any Star Wars film made post 1983 will piss a certain percentage of people off. “Force Awakens was too safe.” Last Jedi took too many risks/was too different”. Stop it. It’s a bold new take on Star Wars and just because it’s not what you drew up in your mind ahead of time doesn’t make it bad.

Honestly I’ve found things to enjoy in all 9 films. Even the Prequels had a really solid storyline imo. Had the acting/direction not been so poor at times those films would be on par with the OT.

Also I HIGHLY suggest you see Last Jedi twice before settling on how you judge it. I appreciated the complexity of the characters and chances Rian Johnson took much more on my second go.

CMilliken and Fucking Dustin like this.
  18. Fucking Dustin

It's amazing because it's not like the original trilogy had excellent acting in the first place haha, the prequel acting was just so bad it was near impossible to get past. But I don't hate the prequels either or anything.

19. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

seriously, Mark Hamill is unbearable in A New Hope

CMilliken and Fucking Dustin like this.
  20. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Absolutely. The amazing cast of the new movies in and of itself ensures a pretty high baseline for them because at least the acting will be great.

21. oneeightytwo

Regular

What’s the overall decision on the best place to buy a porg then?

22. Fucking Dustin

Ahch-To

23. oneeightytwo

Regular

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  24. Jonathan Dec 19, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 19, 2017)
    Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I enjoyed it. There was some very minor stuff I took issue with, but it was more from a film/plot device perspective, and less of a Star Wars fanboy perspective. Overall, I liked the film, even after seeing two screenings back to back (the first of which was after an 8 episode marathon at the movie theater.)

While it's revealed that Rey's parents aren't important, I still think her grandparent(s) may be significant, but I won't be disappointed in the slightest if there's no link whatsoever (still think the Kenobi theory would be a great reveal, student becomes the teacher, etc.) Maybe Rey really is an individual who just happens to be strong with the force, but that final scene where the kid uses the force to grab a broom basically established that there's many other force-sensitive folks out there beyond the Skywalker lineage, hence why Luke was not the last jedi. Also, Kylo can't be trusted, he established that when he misled the first order into believing Rey killed Snoke – perhaps he knows more that he hasn't revealed, or perhaps they both don't know yet.

I just have a hard time believing we'll end this trilogy without having full names for Rey or Finn. Overall, I can appreciate the risks Rian Johnson took here, rather than appeal to the fanboys and just recreate the same trilogy over again.

Spencer Rhoton and suppyguppy like this.
  25. ZeoVGM

Regular

Hyperbole of the highest level. Laughable, really.