Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘The Last Jedi’ Has Massive Opening Weekend

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

BoxOfficeMojo:

With an estimated $220 million, Star Wars: The Last Jedi delivered the second largest opening weekend ever behind only Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which debuted with $247.9 million back in 2015. Last Jedi got off to a strong start on Thursday night with the second largest preview gross ever of $45 million and became only the second film to ever gross over $100 million on opening day resulting in the second largest opening day ever, second largest single day, second largest Friday and joins Force Awakens as the fastest films to reach $100 million.

2. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Unfortunately it was unwatchable.

3. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Damn. I owe myself $5 for that bet I made with myself that we would get at least 3 posts in before the hottakes started.

I should have known better than to bet with myself. I always lose.

4. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I had a blast with this. Loved the Battlestar Galactica ~vibe, loved porgs, loved watching all the angry fanboys combust while realizing things aren't just for them anymore.

5. All of this.

6. personalmaps

Also I would die for Laura Dern.

7. Unwatchable Scott.

Aaron Mook and Davjs like this.
  8. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Gotta admit I did like 2/3 of these things, never seen BG though

9. Why am I on Amazon looking at porgs Kayla, WHY AM I DOING THIS?

kaylasananjou likes this.
  10. Guilherme Brandao

Regular

I enjoyed it overall. Super Leia and some of the humor made me cringe in what should've been emotional scenes (I'm looking at you: Luke throwing the damm lightsaber, and that f-ing lame cleaning the shoulder afther Ren's attack in the end). But the movie had great character development, and some insane visuals.

I'll probably watch it again in the theaters.

11. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I want every single Porg toy in existence. My wife thinks I have issues. I'm right in wanting these, right?!

12. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

We're going to see it tonight I'm so excited

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. aniafc

Trusted

I agree with all of this, especially your first point.

14. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Porgs did literally nothing in the film. Thought they'd take one and name it to be a companion for Chewie (as Han's supposed replacement). But there was just a whole spawn of them on-board the Falcon.

Actually, I'm feeling sorry for Chewie. Now Luke and Leia are dead too (going into ep 9). He must be lonely af.

15. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I predict a "heroic sacrifice" for him in the next film. Maybe he jumps in front of a resurrected Phasma blaster bolt to save the little porg babies. Then he can be sold in a set with them.

I wonder if we will keep seeing numbers like this 5, 10 years down the road.

Frank Lapidus and emeryk3 like this.
  16. personalmaps

A more important question: why do all the plushies on the market right now look like GARBAGE? This is a slam dunk Disney make me a fucking porg toy that is soft and doesn’t look like a mashed potato.

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. Professor Plumbob Dec 18, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 18, 2017)
    Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I wonder how long it'll be after IX before rumblings of X,XI,XII. Rian Johnson's spinoff trilogy will obviously lenghten that gap but I really want Driver,Ridley,Boyega, and Isaac to return for three more.

EDIT: thought I was in the main thread, better safe than sorry.

18. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Do we think his new trilogy will be known as episodes X, XI, & XII? I could see them disassociating with the episode trend and being all new movies.

heymattrick likes this.
  19. personalmaps

Okay listen, it’s all on Hulu. It’s so good. Honestly tho I recommend skipping the prequel mini series. First watch through I didn’t know it existed and it was a much better viewing experience than my second watch through where I did. Just a lot of mysteries spoiled right away that kind of takes away from the show imo. (BSG fans, feel free to disagree)

Bryan Diem likes this.
  20. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Johnson's? No I don't see his first movie being titled episode X.

21. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Maybe that will be the case if they move away from the Skywalker lineage.

22. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Movie was really fun but wasnt as good as rogue one.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  23. CMilliken

Trusted

Honestly really enjoyed this one. I really don’t get why all the fanboys are hating on it so bad. I get it had some unnecessary jokes but is that really enough to ruin a movie for people?

Eric Wilson likes this.
  24. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Loved it. For 2 hours and 40 minutes, I was lost in a galaxy far far away. I laughed, I had a huge smile on my face a majority of the time, I got chills, what else can I ask for?