Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘The Far Side’ Is Back. Sort Of.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The New York Times:

Just shy of 25 years since its last original installment, the offbeat comic strip “The Far Side” has returned. In a manner of speaking, but please don’t call it a comeback.

“I’m not ‘back,’ at least in the sense I think you’re asking,” said Gary Larson, the cartoonist who created it, via email last week ahead of a website revival. “Returning to the world of deadlines isn’t exactly on my to-do list.”

Beginning Tuesday, the “Far Side” site will provide visitors with “The Daily Dose,” a random selection of past cartoons, along with a weekly set of strips arranged by theme. There will also be a look at doodles from the sketchbooks of Larson, who said: “I’m looking forward to slipping in some new things every so often.” (Previously, there was no content on the site.)

Gary Larsson:

Finally, I also concede I’m a little exhausted. Trying to exert some control over my cartoons has always been an uphill slog, and I’ve sometimes wondered if my absence from the web may have inadvertently fueled someone’s belief my cartoons were up for grabs. They’re not. But it’s always been inherently awkward to chase down a Far Side–festooned website when the person behind it is often simply a fan. (Although not everyone is quite so uncomplicated in their motives; my cartoons have been taken and used to help sell everything from doughnuts to rodent control. At least I offer range.) So I’m hopeful this official website will help temper the impulses of the infringement-inclined. Please, whoever you are, taketh down my cartoons and let this website become your place to stop by for a smile, a laugh, or a good ol’ fashioned recoiling. And I won’t have to release the Krakencow.

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Bummer, wanted new cartoons, but this is still nice.

riotspray likes this.
  3. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

This is excellent.

4. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Agreed, but him getting serious about the web could be the trojan horse we needed to get him interested in drawing regularly again. It sounds like he's already toying around with the idea since he said “I’m looking forward to slipping in some new things every so often.”

OhTheWater likes this.
  5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I just hope he didnt turn alt right

trevorshmevor and Jason Tate like this.
  6. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Oh god it sounds like I'm about to learn something horrible about him but Wikipedia doesn't seem to point out anything awful, can you elaborate?

7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hahaha no, I just saw others hoping the same thing on twitter after what a loser the Dilbert guy turned out to be

8. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Bill Watterson is the GOAT in my opinion, but Gary Larson has always been a close second.

riotspray and Jonathan like this.
  9. delvec19

Trusted

Everyone had a grade school teacher who had the Far Side calendar. Blast from the past for sure.