Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘The Batman’ Coming in 2021

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Batman is scheduled for 2021:

Warner Bros. is dating their next rendition of Batman for June 25, 2021. This is the one that Matt Reeves has been attached to as writer and director. Ben Affleck, we hear, will not be donning the Dark Knight’s tights after playing the Caped Crusader in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad and Justice League and that’s because this movie will focus on a younger Bruce Wayne.

2. BradBradley

Regular

The Batman - now even darker and grittier!

3. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Coincidentally watched Justice League for the first time last night. And like BvS before it, totally missed the mark on what makes Batman such a cool and compelling hero - not to mention the film more broadly was visually the worst superhero movie I've seen in a decade, way too similar to the Marvel universe regarding plot, and incredibly inconsistent in tone.

All that to say, I look forward to hopefully a better Batman film in 2021.

4. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

This might be cliché to say at this point, but it’s hard to imagine any Batman film topping The Dark Knight.

Love Matt Reeves though so I’m excited either way.

5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Give me the blue & gray costume, please and thank you. Like, that Hush-era look alone would make me like this more than Burton & Nolan's films, tbh.

Christian Romero likes this.
  6. :sly:

contra11mundum likes this.
  7. Tim

Not trying to "hot take" or anything. Those movies are wonderful at what they're going for. But, for my personal taste as far as Batman is concerned, the joy of a fully realized classic comic-book-y version on the big screen would be something really special.

8. I can't think of any way to do that better than Batman Begins.

9. nothing will ever be better in the Batman canon than the Nolan films - I just rewatched Begins the other day and I'm still floored by it - it feels severely underrated

coleslawed and contra11mundum like this.
  10. Tim

*shrug* I dunno. There's a certain feeling that my favorite Batman stuff gives me that I don't get from that movie. A certain charm that I get out of, for example, The Animated Series and Tom King's current run. No live action version has captured that for me without exaggerating it. But, in the current comic book movie climate, I've gotta believe something bridging the gap between Adam West & Christopher Nolan can exist and work.

11. It seems we ... agree on Spider-Man ... and very much disagree on Batman. Heh.

Christian Romero likes this.
  12. Tim

We talk Spider-Man so much that it's easy to forget all the areas that we disagree. *cough*Logan*cough*

At least Infinity War brought our Marvel Studios opinions closer together.

13. Heh. True. And Logan remains one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen.

Zach likes this.
  14. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

What???? I literally just watched that movie last night and remembered how incredible it was. What don't you like about it?

15. Everything. Heh. I’ve typed it all out somewhere before, but the basics: from tone to message to execution to acting to directing to script to continuity to absolutely hating watching kids violently murder people as entertainment, I despise that movie.

16. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

You're the first person I've heard of that dislikes Logan, but I get it. I absolutely despise Thor: Ragnarok and everyone else I know loves it. I hate when someone brings it up because I know it's going to be everyone else against me every time.

17. And that's the only Thor movie I like!

That's why it's in spoiler tags so hopefully no one sees and I don't have to talk about it. :rotfl:

18. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Agreed on all points. By no way am I a "Nolan fanboy", but I think what Nolan did in TDN series can't be matched.

19. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I fell asleep during Rogue One and I’m a pariah now.

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. I enjoyed Venom!

Haha, all my takes exposed. :fire:

Tim likes this.
  21. BradBradley

Regular

22. seimagery

instagram.com/thekissingglow/

Unite pariahs.

I'm always interested in anything Batman, but getting something as great as Burton's or Nolan's is going to be a hard task. No matter what you do with the character and the universe the comparisons will be there.

23. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I enjoyed the heck out of Venom. I created a lesson plan about symbiosis so I could show it to my biology class as a treat before Christmas. My supervisor came for an unannounced observation and she LOVED it.

Jason Tate likes this.
  24. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Although one student won’t stop calling me “a turd in the wind” now.

25. Tim

I don't think it's that hard, as long as they let it find its own identity instead of imitating Nolan. Batman is a very broad property that's equally Adam West & Frank Miller. You'll have dummies who can't resist comparing, but classic comic book characters are incredibly dynamic, ripe for repeated reinterpretation.