Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘That Orange Is the New Black Leak Was Never Going to Pay Off’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 2, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Brian Barrett, writing at Wired:

Although the hack offers a reminder that even the best security can be undone by the so-called “weakest link” — Netflix can’t do much if a vendor is compromised — it provides a bigger lesson in how the internet has largely shifted away from torrenting. If a show lands on The Pirate Bay and nobody watches, did it really stream?

Consider that in 2011, BitTorrent accounted for 23 percent of daily internet traffic in North America, according to network-equipment company Sandvine. By last year, that number sat at under 5 percent. “There’s always going to be the floor of people that are always going to be torrenting,” says Sandvine spokesperson Dan Deeth. That group will surely enjoy whatever Piper’s up to in season five. But the idea that so small a cohort might prompt Netflix to negotiate with hackers seems absurd.

I commented on this when New Found Glory’s new album leaked and there were a bunch of comments in the threads basically saying, “no reason to go hunt for the leak, it’ll be on Spotify soon enough anyway.” I always thought easy and convenient access to music would help curb piracy, but even I didn’t think it would have as big an impact as it has.

2. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I may or may not have used to pirate a lot of music back in the day. But ever since buying a Spotify premium account, I usually just listen to all my music on there. It's rare that I want to listen to something that isn't on Spotify. I still buy CD/s digital music as well. But I for sure never thought I'd be one to shy away from pirating.

3. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Interesting to think about for sure. I used to do my fair share of downloading music in my teens, but I barely get on an actual computer these days and I use Spotify anyway. I do however usually buy vinyl of albums I really want, I don't remember the last time I bought a CD.

coleslawed and Reese's Pieces like this.
  4. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I'm tempted to just start buying digitally only now as using CDs seems sort of pointless. But I think I still buy them moreso for nostalgia purposes because it was always so exciting getting a new CD back in the day. Perhaps I just need a big mp3 player that's not my phone to start using in the car.

5. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

This article posits that the hacker(s) probably knew this extortion scheme wasn't going to pay off, and it was more of a publicity stunt to get the public's attention. Which seems to have worked, if only marginally.

6. devenstonow

Noobie

Think about this all the time. NFG was the first album in awhile that I downloaded the leak. And I only did it because I thought the album was coming out a week earlier than it actually did. The last leak I downloaded was probably Brian Fallon or The 1975. so I have to be super hyped.

Also, the "stream it on pitchfork/npr/entertainment weekly/etc... a week early" does some to curb leaks. But honestly? Even when that happens, I usually end up waiting until the release date.

It really revolves around the way we consume music now. For me, I pretty much exclusively listen on my phone, Chromecast Audio (hooked up to my nice speakers), or vinyl, and most of those streams are a pain in the ass on phones and chromecast (unless they've gotten better, I don't even try). That is all since, after hesitating for months, just going all in and moving on from my 160GB iPod Classic (:brokenheart:).

But, for me, it's also pure laziness. Waiting a week is worth avoid the workflow of:

1. find out if leak is good enough quality
    2. find leak (usually kingdom leaks. RIP it-leaked)
    3. remember my kingdom leaks login info
    4. reset my password when I can't remember
    5. get a mirror of the album that works
    6. unzip on computer/phone
    7. transfer to phone
    8. make sure it's metadata is all tagged neatly
    9. delete it to make sure I have a better quality copy when it's released
    10. remember to delete the zip

It's laziness, but most records I'm not at all hyped enough about to go through all that as opposed to waiting a week, when I acn make do with whatever singles are out

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Being a commuter, if an album isn't available to stream offline (like Spotify has and Rdio did), I rarely bother. Give me something to listen to on a run or in the car that won't eat data and I'm good. Torrenting and all that is usually too much work when you can be patient and not have to do the whole rigmarole.

8. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea I would never bother hunting down a leak. Even when like the Father John Misty album leaked a month early or whatever I never cared enough to go out of my way, and for a band I consider a favorite, I would definitely not want to listen before release date, so I don't see myself ever finding a leak again. I have so much to listen to that I really don't feel the need to listen to leaks of albums that aren't even out yet.

I always thought I would never switch to streaming music (LOL), but then when I got my turntable that completely changed. If I want a physical copy, I buy the vinyl. Everything else I listen to on Apple Music, and at work I use Spotify. CDs won't be sold in stores within 2/3 years, except maybe like Adele.

I certainly can't see watching leaks of tv shows. I just don't see the point.

9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

For a while my digital/CD/vinyl purchasing actually went up after I started streaming since I was listening to way more music. Now I really just buy vinyl and digital of albums I really like, and even then I usually won't even listen to early streams. I like the thought of listening on release day and knowing it's everyone else's first listen too, well ideally at least.

10. bruinrk

I'm still not on the Spotify/Apple Music train...i dunno...i just don't like streaming it and i dont use my phone to listen to music...still have my Ipod Classic. But i still buy digitally and buy CDs when i can. I only seeked out the NFG leak because they are my favorite band, but through pre-order, VIP bundles and concert tickets, i bought the album 4 times over, so to me i didn't feel like i was "stealing".
    As for tv leaks, i don't care for Orange is the New Black so i don't seek it out, but living on the West Coast i hate that the East Coast gets shows 3 hours before me so i may or may not download them 3 hours early so as to avoid spoilers on websites

11. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

I still buy cds and vinyls that are significant to me and that I would like to have as part of my music collection, but for the most part I just use Spotify now. Spotify has essentially eliminated the need for me to download music, legally or otherwise, and at this point in my life I just don't get hyped enough about leaked releases that I can't just wait a few days for it to be released on Spotify.

12. lolfpcmlol

Regular

I just don't understand the logic behind how anyone can morally defend torenting . It's stealing plain and simple, no way around it. It really pisses me off when people don't see that. Creating content costs money, pay for it. I am glad that the number of people who do so are trending downwards.

I don't necessarily know that spotify is the answer long term in the music industry as it seems the payout can be pittances at times, but it's better than getting nothing because are people are okay with being thieves.

13. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

^I'm not saying I ever did >whistles<, but my justification for it, especially when I was a kid in high school, is there was simply no way to afford all the music I wanted to listen to, so it was always kind of a trial for me. And if it was an album I ended up liking, I'd almost always end up buying it, and I'd make up for it by going to live shows. Key word there is "my justification". I'm not saying it was the "right" thing to do, but I don't have guilt about it. The alternative was to not listen to it at all, which doesn't help the artist either.

14. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

This was also my justification. Being 13/14/15 there was no way I could afford to buy all of the albums and songs by bands I liked. I basically saved all of the money I had to go to their shows.

15. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Exactly, and I always felt (whether I was right or wrong, but I suspect with the bands I listened to, I was mostly right), that they'd rather me download it and come to the show than just not download it at all. Sometimes bands even said as much themselves.

I bought as many CDs as I could (up until last year when I got my turntable), but there was only so much I could do.

16. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Back in the day I thought it was silly to call it stealing because it wasn't a finite physical product. I still think it's a weird term to use. Music just existed; if it was free to listen on the radio, what's wrong with listening to it another way? That obviously ignores the economics and associated morality of music production, but such is how young minds think.