Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ Teaser Trailer • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Yeah, I love TLJ and know quite a few people who do.

2. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Ironically most of my friends hated it. We went opening night with a large group of 20, two showings back to back. The general consensus was "wtf did I just watch?" Even with my critiques, I didn't personally hate it, but yeah, most of them didn't care for it and said it made them like force awakens more.

3. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I don't know anyone who says it's their favorite, and most people like TFA more. But among the folks I've talked to, almost no one hates it. People had issues (I do too - it's also not my favorite), but overall, a handful of issues in a Star Wars movie is just not enough to write it off.

Honestly, I've wondered how Empire would be received in the internet age. Like, imagine if in 2017, a New Hope is released, and then, in 2019, we watch a movie that contradicts basic, core information about main characters that we all knew for the last couple years (Vader as Luke's father/not dead), which makes another main character and hero a liar (Ben), and then the film ends with everyone's favorite being captured and imprisoned by pig people (Han), with the main protagonist maimed, with no answers to any pressing questions at all. I dare say that folks in this day and age would freak the absolute fuck out about Empire in 2019, in the worst way. We can all argue about Luke's character development, and what we see of the force with Leia until we're blue in the face, but that's nothing compared to the curveballs thrown at us by the unquestioned 'best' of the group.

Which is to say: every Star Wars movie has issues, continuity errors, and goofy, campy stuff that falls flat for some and is the highlight for others. If people hate TLJ, okay. But I think it's incorrect to pretend like it's some outlier in the Star Wars universe.

(Also, maybe there's some history I'm unaware of with some people because there are some really tense comments in this thread. I don't know about any of that, and just enjoy talking about Star Wars, so no offense to anyone is intended at all).

coleslawed, macbethfan and Jonathan like this.
  4. I agree, especially with your final point about it not being an outlier. Also... my favourite SW movie is TLJ (despite being cognizant of some of the flaws), so now you've met one!

5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I legit loved both of these moments w/ my first viewing, still do, & am so surprised when I find even fellow lovers of the film (which, yeah, as others have said, extends way beyond this site) not care for those moments.

The whole Leia thing especially blows my mind. So many people echo that whole dumbass "Mary Poppins" critique, again even people who like the movie. But, like, I have genuinely loved that sequence every single time I've watched it. I find it so beautiful & appropriately fantastical, especially alongside the original 1977 Star Wars, 1980 The Empire Strikes Back, & 1983 Return of the Jedi.

Oh well.

coleslawed, BigMouth and AshlandATeam like this.
  6. currytheword

Trusted

Not one friend of mine loved that movie. “It was good” is honestly the most positive response I’ve heard outside of this site.

Jonathan likes this.
  7. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

TLJ 4ever

coleslawed and BigMouth like this.
  8. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Look I will say one thing - the lightsaber battle in Snoke's throne room woth the red guard dudes was pretty fucking sick. One of my fav lightsaber battles in all of Star Wars.

Jonathan likes this.
  9. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

wat

Cool.

10. currytheword

Trusted

11. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

where do you see people who liked The Last Jedi hating on Palpatine’s laugh? the most I’ve seen is people being unsure about how to feel about it, which seems fair. lol at Johnson Javelins.

I only know one person IRL who actively dislikes TLJ, but he’s been rewriting versions of all 7 movies before it in his for the last 20 years, soooo, I think he just needs to write his own space opera instead of waiting for Star Wars to be what he wants it to be.