Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Trailer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Christian Romero likes this.
  2. It's soooooo goooood

3. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

They didn't explain how this version of Spider-Man got his powers though. I really think they should have focused on that again.

4. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

So...casual fan here...but I don't get it. It looks like a good movie, i'll probably go see it, but why recreate the same spiderman movie with a different story line so many times? How many spiderman movies have we had in the last 15 years? The point of this one just looks to bring Tony Stark in so we can expect some huge mega movie in the future combining all the Marvel characters.

5. I don't think we need another big origin story. I mean we've seen it twice now in the last like 13 years. I think they're purposely trying to barely touch on it for that reason

6. TFT87

Regular

most unnecessary reboot ever?

7. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

I feel like he was being sarcastic lol

8. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

At first glance it seems annoyingly similar to the other Spidey films we've seen.

9. crowntownguy Dec 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 10, 2016)
    crowntownguy

I think I'm growing into someone you can trust

This is the first Spiderman movie that will be a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the same universe that Iron Man (obviously) and the rest of the Marvel characters exist in. Sony has and still owns the movie rights to Spiderman (and the X-Men universe EDIT: nope, that's FOX. Sorry! ) from when Marvel almost went bankrupt and sold off a lot of its intellectual property rights. A few years ago, Marvel and Sony worked out a deal that allows Sony to still own Spiderman and make a ton of money, but lets Marvel lead creative decisions and put Spiderman inside of their universe.

So yes, this is a reboot. Yes, there's been a lot of them (you can blame Sony for that). But it looks like Marvel is going to skip Spidey's origin story (since it has been told twice in the past 15 years) and let us see what happens after Civil War.

10. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

I honestly think Spider-Man would work better as a serialized tv show.

atticusfinch likes this.
  11. Cheek

How are they making another Spider-Man and not including Venom or carnage!?

12. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

this is an excellent explanation, but for this. Fox owns the Xmen, not Sony.

13. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

It's crazy how 16 years later that's all Fox has left. They dropped the ball on F4 twice, and X-Men is taking a turn for the worse now as well (Deadpool excluded). I can almost hear Kevin Feige cracking his knuckles.

14. crowntownguy

Dang it. I know that too. Gotta turn in my nerd-card now...

15. ctigers92

Not enthused about this one. Don't need multiple superheroes in each movie to keep me entertained. Loved Andrew Garfield's Spiderman though.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  16. Question: what evidence do we have that this Spider-Man film will forego the origin story aside from the fact that they didn't allude to it in the first two minute trailer?

17. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I wonder what'll happen with F4 and X-Men, because per the contractual film rights, Fox has to be actively pursuant of developing films for both franchises. If not, those rights revert to Marvel.

18. crowntownguy

Seen reports on places like CBR and Screenrant that since the character was introduced in Civil War, Homecoming will pick up just after. I guess they could start six months earlier to when Peter first gets bitten, but they've also said the focus of the movie is a "coming of age, John Hughes-type" movie so I don't think they'll waste a whole lot of time on this origins.

19. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Casual fan here...can someone clue me in on what "Homecoming" means for this type of reboot?

20. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

F4 almost seems like a certainty that at some point it will go back to Marvel. Last I read, Simon Kinberg and Fox had dropped the pretext that they were still pursuing a sequel to Trank's film, and I really don't see them trying anything with the property again. X-Men will for sure stay there for a long time. I think Logan must count towards the X-Men brand, and just this past week I read something about them moving forward with the next team film.

Story-wise, I think the homecoming dance plays a huge role in the events of the film. Title-wise, most people seem to agree it's a play on words regarding Spidey finally getting to join the Marvel universe.

coleslawed and Chris Prindle like this.
  21. crowntownguy

In addition to what Carlos said, Homecoming is also the name of a popular Spiderman story arc in the comics. I don't think that means they'll be borrowing any story elements from it, but it is a nice deep-cut nod to the source material.

carlosonthedrums likes this.