Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Ryan Adams Dangled Success. Women Say They Paid a Price.’ • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 13, 2019.

1. prattsy

Regular

Weird that Isbell would contribute to his music then, no? (He's apparently featured on his second upcoming LP)

Also, I suspect that Natalie Prass, Courtney Love, and Parker Posey will add fuel to this fire in the coming weeks.

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Why is it weird? He said he didn't know. Ryan was one of the guys who staged an intervention for Jason 6-7 years back. They are/were good friends, so it makes perfect sense that they would have still made music together up until this news.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  3. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Edited the post to include the initial interaction asking if he or Amanda Shires has known about this, which he didn't. (sorry, should have done that right off the bat.)

They've had their ups and downs for sure (Ryan famously lashed out a couple of years ago when Jason wrote a song about his failed relationship with Mandy Moore), but I think given Jason's own rough past, he's always been pretty forgiving and understanding of shitty, childish, rock star behavior. That said, this is obviously a completely different realm than "shitty, childish, rock star behavior." I'm glad he gave a clear response, and I don't imagine they'll be crossing paths again.

4. somethingwitty Feb 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 13, 2019)
    somethingwitty

Trusted

Bye Ryan, good riddance...also can we put Wes Sheck on the cancelled list too...black twitter and hip hop artists are letting his accusations slip by...hes still got the opening slot on Travis Scott's tour...

jlinitz, Arry and tyramail like this.
  5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Every man is not, that’s why we are shocked and pissed off when we hear stories like this.

And people need to realize that most of this stuff generates by people in a position of power. It’s not exclusive to any part or people in the world and it’s been happening for thousands of years.

They don’t write articles about people who are kind. I’ve never really listened to this guys music before, so I can’t speak directly to him and his music. It’s just be nice if this stuff stopped. Good for people doing journalistic work on this and I feel bad for anyone who’s been victimized. Hopefully do degree of justice exists. I don’t know what that would be, but I can’t get over how often this happens.

Dying_ambiance likes this.
  6. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

You’re reaction is better than blindly defending and victim blaming. It sucks when you hear bad things about someone you like. It’s human nature to think of how it relates to you first.

7. There's no reason to post any kinda "not all men" defense.

8. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Is that for me?

9. xapplexpiex likes this.
  10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

So it’s ok to say every man is a piece of shit?

Dying_ambiance and indigopigment like this.
  11. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Please let's not.

12. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Are we gonna do this in this thread too, or can we turn the focus back on holding up the story of the victims where it belongs?

13. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

the thing is if you're not being a problem, you shouldn't be offended by the statement because you're not the type of people that they're talking about. also it's worth acknowledging that famous men have a tendency to act poorly.

Jonathan likes this.
  14. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Any chance this was all a misunderstanding and it was actually Bryan Adams?

15. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

upload_2019-2-13_20-38-56.png

16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

So everyone else is ok with broad sweeping statements. If we perpetuate that “all men are pieces of shit”, than why would a female ever feel comfortable with the idea of giving a male police officer a statement, or telling a male confidant what happened, like a father or brother.

We can’t stereotype when it’s convenient. Not sure what other thread you fine folks are referencing, but I think I expressed a valid concern on throwing a comment out there like that allows Ryan Adams to sound like it’s normal instead of separating him from a group (males, musicians,people in power), where that shit is not acceptable.

Have a fine evening and I’m sorry if my interpretation of Craig’s comment is different than yours. I don’t think anyone isn’t deeply concerned for his victims or disgusted by what he did.

Dying_ambiance and indigopigment like this.
  17. Shut up and read the articles before posting again. Literally every answer to your questions are right there.

18. When you're sooooooo close to getting it.

19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Thank you for editing your post. I say that with all sincerity.

20. Soundandfury182

Regular

In the guy's defense (the one who responded to Manning), I don't think he's trying to be a reductionist, but was simply responding to Manning's claim that "every man" is a piece of shit. To me, that's different than him reading the NYT article and then saying "Ok, Ryan Adams is a dick, but not EVERY guy is like that." He's taking Manning's hasty generalization and simply pointing out it's an absurd claim.

Dying_ambiance and currytheword like this.
  21. Men doing a stunning job of proving the very point right now. Seriously what are you doing? How do you think this helps anything? This is not about you, stop it, stop it, stop it.

22. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Thank you for your understanding. I may not have communicated it clearly enough for everyone.

23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I absolutely agree with you. I was trying to focus it in on Ryan Adams and not a larger demographic. Obviously I wasn’t successful at doing that. Sorry.

24. prattsy

Regular

I think everyone here can agree this is terrible and within their own understanding and interpretations of comments on a message board, agree that not everyone's a monster.

Jason Tate - thanks for posting those links. I'm admittedly pretty (intentionally) blind to any sort of negativity in the world. I know that's not a great approach, but I love my bubble I'm in and when I hear how much discourse there is, it just bums me out. I did read your links and I actually really understood the rationale. While I know it's not literally all men, I also don't trust any guy in the world if my fiancee was walking down the sidewalk alone at night. I can't imagine how she feels. This is separating from the real story, but for those still reading this - check out the links Jason shared above to get a different side