Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Nondescript Pop Punk Band Dropkicks a Girl Off Stage’ • Page 9

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 12, 2016.

1. bptky

check out Musica - Akron's best live music venue

And to think that she's somebody's daughter!

...which Parker clearly gives zero f*ks about anyway. We've seen plenty of issues with their label, now I'm pretty much done with this band too.

2. JackOnDrums

The girl's response:
    [​IMG]

3. Glad to hear she's okay, but I really hate that she feels like she deserved it.

fame, Mokena, Serh and 6 others like this.
  4. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, regardless of what she thinks, it would be nice for Parker to just man the fuck up and apologise for assaulting a fan. I like their music but I'm sure not going to feel good about seeing them live if this is how he treats his fans.

Also, this feels like she just doesn't want to get her idols in trouble to me.

lightning13, kelly and ghostxvapor like this.
  5. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

like whatever your position on taking selfies on stage/stage diving/moshing/etc is how tf do you go from "don't do this" to "you deserve to be hit in the back with a flying kick for this"

6. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

+1

It's a huge relief she's okay and Im glad she is. But, going along with how terrible it is she felt she deserved it, now people are going to look at this situation and use what she said to just sweep it under the rug - "Oh, she's okay so there's nothing else to be upset about". And once again Parker and the band will go on with very little consequences. Glad she's okay, but I hope people don't take her response as a reason to brush this all aside.

7. Come on man, I love punk shows and I love when people move around but there's a very very very clear line between a mosh pit where everyone's a willing participant and dropkicking a girl from behind. I get bummed out when I go to a show and everyone just stands still too, but that's not what this is about at all.

And sure, punk was always supposed to be for the misfits and about equality and all that, but when we have incidents like this on a monthly basis, how inclusive is it really?

8. The main issue is that your perspective on the matter is counter to women, poc, and lbgt+ speaking about their experiences in the music world. I don't doubt that this is your perspective, but I believe it's important to also take into account the voices that directly counter this line of thinking and the stories they are telling. The idealized world you've created in your mind was created mostly because many were quiet about the experiences they had or did not have the means by which to be heard or distribute their complaints. The advent of the internet did not create these issues, it simply turned the light on.

So the stories from women about being felt up, groped, and harassed in the mosh pit are of no relevance? The stories of homophobia inspired violence are myths? You've described a world I, as someone that lived through this same period, don't think matches up with reality. I think it just appears that way because of localization and a lack of information dissemination. But I know these same kinds of stories were spread by word of mouth in my community. We all knew what was going on even before the internet, but it was with sideways glances and hushed rumors in the bathroom stalls.

Again, we're not talking about that though, in this specific instance, we're talking about one case - one clear case. What this reads like to me is "my enjoyment is more important than someone's safety" — if I'm honest, I don't think many people are gonna be that upset if you don't want to go to shows with that mentality.

My opinion is kicking people in the back off a stage is wrong, your opinion is that it's not. If your entire argument boils down to it's "just an opinion" when it comes to these sorts of acts, I must point out that we have legal, civil, moral, and social constructs that say otherwise. Having such an opinion does not make it immune from criticism or on equal footing as another. Just as having and holding an opinion from the 60's doesn't make it right by way of longevity. Ideas and opinions are still subject to scrutiny, discussion, and debate, and they can still be factually wrong.

Aaron Mook, fame, Mokena and 10 others like this.
  9. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

@JackOnDrums

Can't be 100% for sure certain that is indeed her. Could be anyone to be honest.

10. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

To try and claim that "punk" shows were a beacon of equality is a joke. Just claiming equality doesn't make it a safe place.

11. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

Revelation Records 25th anniversary shows were barricade-less.

12. :clap:

13. kelly

When will this band go away WHAT WILL IT TAKE

kaylasananjou likes this.
  14. bcapps

Newbie Supporter

At this point it's time load up good ol' crater chest into a [parker] canon and shoot him off into the sunset.

jlinitz, AelNire and kelly like this.
  15. rst

Regular

Probably because it's not really joking subject matter.

16. A gif of this made it to Reddit and they reacted just as you'd expect.

17. well reddit is a garbage site so yeah

Mokena, incognitojones and kelly like this.
  18. Jacob Davidson

Regular

You're right. Sorry about that. Deleted.

19. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I just wanted to share a positive experience that involved the same scenario. I was recently watching letlive perform during a stop on their tour with The Wonder Years. A fan jumped on stage to take a selfie with Jason and Jason actually embraced the fan for the selfie and proceeded to hug the fan for the rest of the song. Jason followed that up by going on a little speech about how much he loves the fans of the band. He also talked about how the stage is not just for him and the rest of the band but also for fans. It honestly made me smile to see something like that happen especially with all the stuff that happened before with how other bands reacted.

20. ryan.conde

Who is Ryan? Prestigious

Fucking gross

21. Jonathan Apr 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 12, 2016)
    Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

eh, probably nitpicking, but I feel this may better describe a site like 4chan. Are there garbage users on Reddit creating garbage subreddits and comments? Certainly, but there's garbage users all over the internet. I've read lots of feel good stories that originated on Reddit as well, so applying a sweeping generalization just feels weird. /two cents.

22. Jonathan Gunasingham

Newbie Prestigious

23. tomber

Let me start with a baseline statement – kicking someone is wrong. Hopefully, as Jason mentioned, that’s not something we need to discuss.

Instead, I’m interested to hear others’ thoughts on how people who listen to, and enjoy, TSSF’s music should feel about this incident. I bring this up because I’ve been following this thread all day and there are a lot of comments along the lines of “band that makes shitty music doing shitty things”.

Why does (your opinion) of the quality of music they make affect the discussion of their actions? It seems as if these refrains are used to make it easier to dismiss Parker’s actions offhand, instead of struggling with them, as I am – I love TSSF’s music, and it has influenced my life in a very positive way, but I think Parker acted extremely inappropriately. So how am I supposed to process that dissonance and respond? Because yes, it’s easy to theoretically say that we shouldn’t listen to music that is created by people whose actions we disagree with. But I know that in practice I would struggle to give up my attachment to TSSF. And on that note, I have tickets to a show on this Canadian tour, something I’ve been looking forward to since purchasing them months ago. Do I boycott the show as a result of these actions? What does that achieve for any of the parties involved – especially, as some have mentioned, it’s unlikely that this incident will have any long term implications for the band.

I’ve been sitting here reading this and I feel bad for liking their music as everyone trashes it, and not only that, but seems to imply that anyone enjoying it must be blind to the larger implications of their lyrics and actions (which I try not to be). I get frustrated seeing how people group their opinion on the band’s actions in with their opinion on the band's music and as a fan I feel like I’m getting caught in the crossfire.

24. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  25. Honestly, it's something you have to come to terms with on your own. Everyone has their own line, and it's up to you to decide what yours is. Many of us have grappled with a similar issue for years with regards to sexism in Kanye's lyrics (although Kanye has never dropkicked a girl, so not quite the same). For some, maybe it's too much to continue listening; for others, they continue listening but don't support the artist with purchasing albums/merch/tour tickets, etc. There's no one real answer, and it's a complicated issue. Many bad people have produced (and will continue to produce) great things.