Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Nondescript Pop Punk Band Dropkicks a Girl Off Stage’ • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Behind the Barricade Apr 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 12, 2016)
    Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

My take: both were wrong for what they did but both could've handled the situation better. If Parker would've taken the pic and then said something to the effect of, "Hey, I don't mind taking selfies but let's do it after the show. There's kids rushing the stage to jump off and stopping to take a selfie is just dangerous". That could've ended that.

2. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

I like their music but that's beyond going too far.

3. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

This is how people that dont suck handle people and their cameras at shows. if you cant beat em, join em. Evan is the man.

4. One person took a photo on stage, one person kicked another human being in the back. Using phrasing like "they're both wrong" is like comparing a paper cut to an atomic bomb and saying they're both destructive. Sure, objectively, we can say both are "wrong" in some sense. But let's at least acknowledge the difference in severity.

5. BelieF

Regular

Alsoo there's a good chance she dropped her phone and if its expensive thats a bummer having to replace that.

6. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

I still think damage to personal property is taking it a bit too far. These people, your fans are there to support you because you and your band, your music, mean something important to them. Taking selfies to commemorate an event is ingrained in society nowadays, especially among this generation. Do I think paying for a ticket entitles you to a selfie on stage? No, I don't, but doing it hardly leads you to deserve either a kick off stage or your phone kicked. But at the same time, the last thing I would ever consider doing is harming a person or potentially destroying their property just because they're a little overexcited. The dialog you suggested would have been an ideal way to handle this case in my opinion.

ChaseTx likes this.
  7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Idk how "don't hurt your fans" doesn't just wrap up this conversation in terms of what he "should have done".

DarkHotline, Raku, alexaanne and 6 others like this.
  8. iamfirebreather

The revolution was a lie.

i never really listened to them except when they came on Pandora, but i have a few thoughts:

really weird scenario it seems like. couldn't imagine drop kicking someone would be my go to move. i'd be interested to see how they go about this situation.

i know i'm probably going to get killed for this, but i thought it was lame how the writer for Noisey trashed their lyrics. i get it. you don't like this band. but it seems like the lyrics the writer quoted, he was a pissed off dood who dated someone cheating. that seems like a reasonable thing to be mad about in my opinion.

by all means go after him for drop kicking a fan, let alone a female fan.

9. bertbro

This hits hard :(

10. farva2

Regular

i can see getting shoved off the stage for snapping a selfie ,but a fuckin drop kick is definitely uncalled for.

Raku likes this.
  11. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

I feel like asking "how is Parker Canon this big of an idiot" but then I look to my facebook feed and see so many people defending this as "being punk" or some shit, because apparently in punk, "not giving a fuck" means "assaulting fans to exercise your hate on towards fangirls" and it's like, this this is actually celebrated? Fuck this shit.

Beyond just being crazy sexist.... like this is just straight up rude. It's degrading, humiliating, and at the end of the day, someone who's trying to capture their admiration of a band walks away ashamed, humiliated and potentially physically hurt, while some singer gets pats on the back for "taking a stand" against fangirls. How does a person find it okay to physically assault a patron who's part of the reason you're able to keep releasing record after record of tepid pop punk? This makes no sense, and unfortunately this won't even dent their popularity.

It's cool that CBC (Canada's national TV/radio station) is picking up the story. I think a few members from here are quoted in it: 'It's not cool. It's not tough': punk singer drop kicked a woman off stage in Toronto

12. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Those lyrics absolutely deserve to be trashed. TSSF have for a long time written some of the most misogynistic lyrics in the genre. They go beyond "just being upset about a break up" to the point where they are vividly and passionately shaming women and girls. It's been a huge issue with the band for a long time.

13. Nah, those songs use sexist language and themes because Cannon was bitter that a woman did not want to be with him anymore. He's mad about her moving on. It's gross.

Drew Beringer likes this.
  14. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Who cares if she was taking a selfie or not? The guy kicked her in the back in reaction to something that is not that big of a deal. That is not a rational reaction to a minor annoyance. If you really have a beef with it, make a point to say something about show etiquette or something. Don't assault the people who support you.

alexaanne and Timmiluvs like this.
  15. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

Well the lyrics tie in because there's a ton of sexist and slut-shaming content in there. And the argument often goes "well y'know it's really just about one girl, not a generalization blah blah singing about someone who did you wrong this has no repercussions in the real world", but then you see a singer kick a girl offstage (this is the second time it's happened I think), and it's really easy to tie the lyrical content with the attitude of the singer, so they're definitely intertwined when assessing a situation like this.

There are definitely several articles about this out there that go out of their way to trash TSSF's lyrics/style/etc, and from a journalistic POV that's obviously not best practice, but the overarching point is "who the fuck do you think you and your band are for kicking someone in the back? You are a band playing in a saturated, past its prime genre, please be respectful to the people who allow you to continue doing this"

Aaron Mook and Timmiluvs like this.
  16. Tata Toothy

Regular

Its still amazing that some bands are so oblivious. In what world is it okay to drop kick a fan (female or male)?

Jumping on the stage is dumb, but you expect to get taken off by a security guard not someone in the band. This is why venues have security, let them do something dumb.

Raku likes this.
  17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The scene in general has to go. The levels of violence and aggression that are so inherent and engrained within this type of music are exactly the reasons why this type of shit happens, regularly apparently, and people are so quick to dismiss it. Just browsing the usual scum platforms that write about this type of music I've seen the NOFX "When did punk rock become so safe" lyric quoted about 10 times. The rest of the comments were some form of "What else did she expect?"

Nah. Nah. When you write off hateful lyrics about women that's one thing, but we have a video of a dude kicking a girl off stage and people are defending the ideals of "punk"? Fuck outta here. And I can't even say that it isn't in the root of most punk, because those concerts were filled with aggression and violence. You watch something like the Decline of Western Civ and hear the way the dudes in the bands are talking about "f****ts" and the like, and you see the way they behave. "It's been accepted for this long and people used to do wayyy worse stuff, so why does this matter?"

Same sort of argument came up with Joyce Manor/stagediving and moshing. We shouldn't let that behavior be tolerated for reasons like this. The only argument pro-that sort of shit is some weird macho hyperaggression bullshit

18. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

stvyung post more i miss you

AelNire likes this.
  19. Jacob Davidson

Regular

This just further cements them as one of the worst bands in the scene.

Raku and CMilliken like this.
  20. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

d'awwww thankx cwhit

I'm still tryna figure out chorus!! i think i'm getting the hang of it. expect more quality content in the coming days

also happy birthy

21. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

ty boo see u 'round

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Until you read the comments and see them saying that Anna's posts are actually hurting feminism

23. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Glad I've never listened to this band. I assume the girl was determined to be ok?

24. here's the thing : this band is full of shitty people who make shitty music - the girl did nothing wrong. If you don't want fans on the stage don't play a barricade-less show or venue. This dude has no IQ by thinking the only way to respond to this was to kick someone! Fuck The Story So Far, fuck Pure Noise, fuck Warped Tour burn it all to the ground.

boohoo you got mad because someone got on stage to take a selfie and the only thing your pea-sized brain could think to do was kick someone. What an incredible overreaction and probably has to do with his blatant misogyny and disrespect for women.

I've been to plenty of hardcore/barricade less shows where fans do actually annoying shit - I've been to Touché Amoré shows where tens of fans jump on stage take the mic from Jeremy and bearhug him/tackle him and he always smiles and takes it in stride.

fuck these dudes so much

25. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

Yeah I mean comment section are gonna do that. I have girls on my facebook arguing in favour of this too, so there are definitely a lot of people who don't see an issue with this. and I mean sure if you hate feminism so much you can even ignore that entire component and zero in on "this is a shitty dangerous completely rude and embarrassing thing to do. also, the person you kicked was a young woman".