Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Nondescript Pop Punk Band Dropkicks a Girl Off Stage’ • Page 10

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 12, 2016.

1. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I'd say reddit is worse than 4chan now. There's good, positive subs, but tons of disgusting/toxic ones and anything on the front page is full of pieces of shit being awful. Bad outweighs the good, especially in how the site is viewed from outside perspectives.

Jonathan likes this.
  2. K0ta Apr 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 12, 2016)
    K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I am the type of person who really tries to live my beliefs out. I hold strongly to a lot of core issues, and I try to do what's right for me. For instance, I don't eat Chick-Fil-A because of their anti-LGBT actions. I LOVE their food but I can't justify supporting a company that so blatantly disrespects other human beings, and even acts out against them.

Likewise, I won't go to this bands show, buy their merch, or listen to their music. That has nothing to do with the quality of their music, but to the content of it and to their behavior towards other people. You said this will likely not have long term implications for them, but that's only the reality if this behavior is allowed to go on. It's one thing for us to have this discussion, disagree and maybe even loathe the action Parker took, but then go to their show and sing their music and buy their content anyway.

You're allowed to do that, it's your decision. I don't want to do that, but I also don't have a long term relationship with the band and their music. It's easier for me to protest with these actions. However, there are ways you can do both. I urge you to consider creating a dialogue about it or taking action in a way that may be appropriate for you. You can like their music and still think that some things need to change. Even if it's a tweet at the band saying "Hey guys, what happened at that show isn't right. I love your music but we should be making the scene better for everyone." Tell them you're disappointed. I guarantee there would be a better response to something like that, then to tweeting them "fuck you assholes" (which is what I honestly wanted to do).

I don't think that shitting on the band, their music, or anyone who listens to them is the best way to go. This won't change their behavior or open up a discussion to anyone but with those that agree with us. It's delicate, it's difficult, but all the anger I think that's been boiling up for years in the scene has really become just an echo chamber of one side vs. the other.

Thanks for your post. I know I rambled a bit, but while I typed I thought more and more about the situation and think that maybe a knee-jerk reaction isn't always the best either. I don't know what the appropriate path is to work towards making sure something like this doesn't happen again. I do know, though, that I want to consider how stuff like this could be channeled into more positive things for the scene, like what Warped Tour is doing with Save Our Scene.

Jason Detroit, Luroda, scott and 4 others like this.
  3. jellyfishfossil

Regular

The last "active" band I was in was a hardcore band. I just don't do well with bad vibes. I swing my bass around stomp the stage to get my adrenaline pumped. If a fight breaks out then I stop playing until it stops and if it continues then I pack up. I feel like if I continue playing then it gives opportunties for the negativity to continue so I just end it. It sucks to not finish playing but i'm not going to be playing music that is fueling the person who is punching people and usually when the band stops playing the people fighting don't feel as tough.

Different strokes. I'm a "balcony guy" when it comes to attending shows anyway. If I get hit then that's fine. At some shows (without balconies), you can't help it and you just get hit but Parker definitely thought it through before he let out his kick.

4. Clark

@yttebkralc Prestigious

Because I never even heard about it until this thread. But maybe I just missed it. I retract my question if that's the case.

5. Louie Apr 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 12, 2016)
    Louie

Takes a Bit More

Reading an article now and people are actually defending him in the comments. I have no idea how anyone with a brain can say she deserved it. I saw the video and it wasn't like she was there that long or invasive to the guys playing the show. How is it not common sense that no one deserves to get drop kicked off the stage? Christ.

Does this remind anyone else of that incident with Lamb of God in Poland?

EDIT: Czech Repbulic, sorry

t_papaccio likes this.
  6. kelly

Been sick to my stomach all day reading about people defending his actions. Fuck.

7. CMilliken

Trusted

I had a great experience with The Wonder Years/Motion City Soundtrack similar to this. Knuckle Puck also called a guy out for stage diving in away that was going to hurt people. There's definitely a right way to do this.

Louie likes this.
  8. clucky

Trusted Supporter

I feel like the difference is that 4 chan embraces the fact that its a toxic shithole, while reddit pretends it isn't

Mokena, incognitojones and Jonathan like this.
  9. Louie

Takes a Bit More

MCS are a great group of guys. I had to say it, I'm a huge fanboy.

Just another vent about comments I am reading on this article, people are claiming she was there for a long time. From the time the, admittedly drunk, girl rights herself on stage she is there for approx. 6-7 seconds. The lead singer isn't even facing the crowd when she pulls herself up, he turns around and proceeds to drop kick her having noticed her there for maybe 3 seconds. Keep in mind he had to have decided to kick her, allowed himself room to build up speed. How is this at all a "long time"? How is this in any way warranted? Who acts like this towards the fans who keep you employed and relevant?

I'm only speculating with this part, but given how quickly he reacted it is almost like he had already made the decision to kick the next person he saw on stage off because he was getting pissed off.

I'm deleting them from my discography, hearing them will just annoy me at this point. They really don't deserve fans.

10. CMilliken

Trusted

I enjoy their music and like @scott said it's a personal choice. It's easy for people who hate the band to say how the people in the band are as shitty as the music they make, but for fans of the band it's not so easy. Especially if they impacted a certain moment in your life.

It just depends on where you want to draw the line. Something I think most people struggle with when it comes to things like this. Especially if you're a fan of the artist.

11. CMilliken

Trusted

Yeah I'm a huge MCS fan too. That's what really pissed me off about the whole situation. She's a paying fan! She is a part of a group of people who supports your band and allows you to have a job. I like TSSF's music but I'm not a huge fan of theirs. Had this happened to me while I was seeing a band I truly loved it would kill me and my love for that band. I honestly don't know how that girl was ok with the actions that took place. It's not ok to treat the people who keep you employed like that.

12. permanentann

we'll kick it when I hit the ground

I know it's been discussed in part already, but the implication that violence is expected or normal at these kind of shows is so frustrating (and dangerous). I took a friend to Warped a few years ago to see TSSF's set, and we only lasted about two songs before I made us leave the pit. It was an absolute cesspool, and Parker incited it by throwing the mic into the crowd (which landed on my 4'9" friend's head, causing her to be buried under a dogpile). When I started telling people to gtfo of our way so we could leave, some kid told me that we shouldn't have gotten in the pit in the first place. I was honestly astounded. I think I'd only ever left a pit for safety reasons maybe once before that, and for someone to think that what was happening there was normal? NAH.

The other fucking outrageous thing that happened to me was at a small show in a bar. The whole night had pretty much been a shitshow for a variety of reasons, but two songs into the headliner (Real Friends) like 4 or 5 pop punk bros* decided to clothesline the crowd from the back. The entirety of the first three rows fell face-first onto the like 3-inch stage, one kid landed on the drum set, I was literally laying on top of band members. It was horrific. When we finally were able to get back up, kids were yelling things like, "now THAT'S pop punk!" Are you kidding me? It took me a long time to realize how and where people got the idea that pop punk endorsed that kind of blatant violence, but fast forward to a couple years of introspection and observation later and it makes perfect sense. Fortunately I was able to move on from this segment of the scene with my whole self in tact.

I know that's a lot of words, it's just been boiling under my skin for a long time. I don't know how to successfully get through to these people that this kind of stuff is not okay, nor should it be the norm.

*I shit you not, one of the guys who did it was wearing a TSSF shirt

13. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Worst band, worst people.

It makes me terribly sad to think that the victim in this incident has been conditioned by society and the scene to think that she deserves such appalling treatment. And don't even get me started on those people posting on Twitter who seem to think it would be an honour to have a pop-punk singer kick them in the face...

14. chuwaay

Yikes. He could've handled that better.

15. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

this is actual assault

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  16. jlinitz

John Linitz @jlinitz

What the fuck man. This type of shit makes me want to avoid the whole genre all together. I won't lie I was a pretty big TSSF fan back in the day. Being young angry and dumb after a breakup, it made sense I guess.

But Jesus Christ these guys can't be serious. This band has not matured musically or mentally and this type of behavior is just disturbing.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  17. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Ha, astute observation.

18. dtbjerke

Regular Supporter

I enjoyed their first two LPs quite a bit but I've always gotten the vibe that Parker is probably a complete asshole. This obviously confirms that suspicion. This is certainly not the first time a fan has come on stage and snapped a selfie at a TSSF show, so it boggles my mind why he chose to act like he did. Also can't believe people cheered. I've seen live footage where he playfully nudged a kid off stage who was standing there forever planning out his epic stage dive but this is clearly another level. Glad to that it appears she is okay and there was "no report of injuries".

19. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

So I saw the gif pop up on /r/wtf, and this is certainly a tame reaction to say the least.

20. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Aaron Mook likes this.
  21. Louie

Takes a Bit More

Are you fucking serious right now? He actually said "I shouldn’t have so quickly resorted to violence, but let’s not forget how many hearts that stupid whore has probably broken. Defend pop punk." Holy actual fucking shit.

22. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

....isn't hard times an onion-like site? lol

Jonathan and Aaron Mook like this.
  23. Louie

Takes a Bit More

I certainly hope so.

24. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

It's satire. I thought that was understood; my bad for not clarifying.

25. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

The World Is... have been calling out TSSF and arguing with TSSF's stupid fans for a while now. that's all i expect from a band who's relatively close to the scene/situation - i know a lot of people in bands who do not approve of Cannon's actions but won't say a word because they're friends with him.