Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Myst’ Creator Interviewed by The A.V. Club

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The A.V. Club interviewed the creator of one of my favorite computer games growing up, Myst, and the entire thing is good, but I loved this quote:

AVC: If you could go back 23, 24 years, and tell yourself one thing while you were making Myst, what would it be?

RM: Oh my gosh. Okay, honestly—this is some deep stuff—but I’m older now, and a lot of what happened with Myst, I now realize a lot of it, a majority of it, had to do with luck. And I think that’s how the world works. I think a lot of people work very hard, and they don’t get lucky. I think I would have told myself, “Don’t confuse luck with any sort of elevated view of yourself. You were in the right place at the right time and did a lot of hard work, but a lot of people do hard work. It worked for you, be grateful, and don’t think too much of yourself.”

JRGComedy, Essie, Zilla and 2 others like this.
  2. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I have fond memories of checking this game out of the library several times but never getting past the first little area.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  3. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

Wow wow wow I didn't even realize Obduction was a thing that existed, much less is being released so soon. Myst was a really big game in my family. My dad used to play Myst with my brothers and me before we were old enough to even understand what was going on in it, lol. Lots of fond memories there.

What a good interview. It's cool to think that someone's job is to think up puzzles all day - especially given that he's that good at it. I don't play many video games anymore, but might have to give Obduction a shot.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

@Jason Tate since you like Myst. Have you played The Witness?
    Never played Myst myself but loved The Witness and since it's the same creator you may enjoy it. Be warned it gets difficult quick!

ReiAndCoke likes this.
  5. Bought that game on a whim when I was a kid, had never heard of it. Got stuck in like a half hour or something and I don't think I never went back hahah.

6. ReiAndCoke

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but The Witness is made by Jonathan Blow (and his team)... who had nothing to do with Myst.

Nonetheless, I agree about how good it is. The Witness is the best game I have played this generation. Everything about it is outstanding.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  7. marceting

Trusted

That's such a great quote.

8. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Love that quote you posted from the article for real @Jason Tate . Real pearl of wisdom right there.

Jason Tate and crunchprank like this.
  9. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Haha disregard I'm an idiot for some reason Braid and Myst were one in the same in my mind. Wow I'm a dummy:speakno:

Edit: okay so I wasn't completely idiotic...The Witness is Myst inspired with the puzzles and abandoned island stuff going on. That must be why I related the 2. Either way The Witness should still be played by all!

ReiAndCoke likes this.
  10. BigMouth Sep 13, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 13, 2016)
    I'm an avid Myst fan... this interview is awesome! Also, if you're looking for an actual spiritual successor to Myst, look no further than Obduction which is made by Cyan Worlds (the company that made Myst), is out now, and getting rave reviews. They're still killing it. I've heard very mixed things about The Witness.

Edit: I know this article is mainly about Obduction but I'm just reiterating for people who just read the quote

11. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Such a great quote. Myst always creeped me out because of the lack of other characters or speech. Plus, unlike Ron Swanson, I'm not puzzle guy.

12. I never have. I'll have to look it up, never even heard of it.