Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Magic: The Gathering’ Animated Series From Russo Brothers Set at Netflix

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Variety:

A Magic: The Gathering animated series is coming to Netflix, Variety has learned.

Joe and Anthony Russo, Wizards of The Coast, and Hasbro’s Allspark Animation have teamed with Netflix to bring the fantasy game to the screen for the first time in the franchise’s history. The Russos will oversee the creation of an all new storyline and expand on the stories of the Planeswalkers, which are Magic’s magic-wielding heroes and villains.

? “We have been huge fans and players of Magic: The Gathering for as long as it has been around, so being able to help bring these stories to life through animation is a true passion project for us,” the Russos said.

2. SoundwaveUproar

Regular Prestigious

Great, just what we need, another way for Wizards of the Coast to shove Jace down my throat.

3. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Cautiously optimistic about this

4. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

The writing for the lore has been so bad the past several years. I'm not expecting anything great out of this.

5. Davjs

Trusted

I don't know anything about Magic, but how can you not be excited about what the Russo's are doing next?

josh.hofer likes this.
  6. Orla

For all its ups and downs, M:tG has a dense universe crafted over 25 years of printed word (flavor text, comics, and novels) and it’ll be a sure task for anyone to develop a tv series that feels faithful & enriching to the lore, yet still viable as a standalone offering.

Animated over live action is definitely a smart move, and the Russos being huge Magic fans is reassuring, but anyone tackling such a franchise for the screen for the first time is bound to have fans apprehensive.

LightWithoutHeat and Davjs like this.
  7. Davjs

Trusted

Ah, with everything you said they seem to be the perfect pair for this right? They kind of mastered taking a ton of lore and characters and having them play off each other correctly.

8. Orla

I’m hoping! If a series is going to be made, by no means do I believe they’re the wrong people to do it. It’s more a concern about the format itself.

Davjs likes this.
  9. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Wat?