Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Justice League’ Trailer • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 23, 2016.

1. simonbelmont

Regular

The humor issue was brought up and beat to death countless times after this movie was released by critics and movie goers.

I feel like you're issues with his films are credible based on your perspective, but where you see characters with no weight I see a complex, world weary Bruce Wayne describing himself as a criminal for being a vindictive vigilante with little to no remorse after years of trying to clean up Gotham.

Same goes with Superman coming to grips with collateral damage and possibly never truly being seen as a beacon of hope as his symbol would suggest.

I just don't see the emptiness you see in characters or in story based upon what I wrote and what was presented in the film. Different strokes.

A lot of my post was frustration with critics and their takes on this film...at least where I live the majority left with a mostly positive take on this film.

The ones who did leave with negative perceptions left with eerily similar views as the critics who saw it before it was released and cobbled poorly written, early reviews together, it felt an awful lot like opinions were made up by articles being read before even seeing the film and judging it on what it presents.

As far as ultimate edition and run time is concerned I will bet you bottom dollar that what was left on cutting room floor was prompted by the studio to reach a certain run time, and the film that was presented in theaters I thought stood up fine albeit flawed.

I thought overall as was released in theaters was good, not great. Ultimate edition made up for that for me.

As far as JL trailer goes I like what was presented I just hope they don't turn Batman into a joke machine based on the opinions of a few critics. That is absolutely not how Batman should be presented.

Letterbomb31 and Jason Tate like this.
  2. simonbelmont

Regular

I also couldn't disagree with you more on Watchmen having read the graphic novel I was mostly pleased with it's cinematic counterpart....but that's a topic for another day.

But I also couldn't agree with you more on Sucker Punch and to an extent 300 you didn't mention it but I'm assuming you don't have much love for it, and I don't either.

I feel like with those two films your complaints about empty stories and characters ring completely true.

3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I personally loved Man of Steel

Aaron Mook, Letterbomb31 and Davjs like this.
  4. Oskarr

Needled 24/7

I'm feeling a little weird about Ben in this trailer, but I can't really put my finger on why. Hopefully my intuition is unfounded though because he was the best part of BvS for me - looking forward to seeing more of him.

Jason and Ezra look promising too.

5. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Great trailer, hopefully the movie is just as good...

6. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

While I don't want this to derail the thread, fundamentally my problem with the world he's built so far is that at no point do I feel inspired by anyone on the screen. I get what he was trying to do with Batman, but in his usual way, he took it way too over the top for my taste. Subtlety is just not his strong suit. Superman...I will never comprehend how he took the guy who's supposed to be the best of us and turned him into a resentful god with parents who give him incredibly off-putting advice.

I just re-watched the Dark Knight trilogy for the first time in a couple of years. As flawed as the third one is, I'm pretty sure that nothing Zack Snyder presents on a character level will ever make my spirit lift the way it did when Bruce makes the climb out of the pit and lights the Batman symbol on that bridge, giving everyone hope again.

Anyway, I've never liked being the dude on movie blogs who ruins everyone else's enjoyment, so I certainly won't start here.

7. Peachfuzz

I'll be with you the whole way.

I find this quite bad, and I can't feel the Snyder touch...

8. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I like Ezra Miller but I really don't like him as the Flash.

9. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

Why should I bother seeing this movie in the theater if I have to wait for the ultimate dvd release for the story line to make sense? That's my biggest complaint.

Snyder gets all the complaints and issues, but it's the writers who are truly at fault. A convoluted story was set to fail, which sets up this movie to be only interesting because of the characters, not because of the plot. JL looks like a 2 hour recruitment movie. How exciting.

I don't need the humor and slap stick things marvel has, but there is an element of witty humor that is needed. Something which we will probably see in Suicide Squad, even before re-shoots to make it more "humorous".

The darker themes and struggles are what separates DC from Marvel and DC needs to embrace it but the version they send to the theaters needs to be coherent and draw interest in future films. Something BvS didn't really do in my opinion and among many of my friends. They are excited to see what's next because they are fans, but not because the movie left them wanting more. That's where the difference lays.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  10. simonbelmont

Regular

You're definitely not ruining anyone's enjoyment. Nor anyone else in here for that matter. A good discussion about films we love or hate should not change how we feel about them.

I put Nolan's films completely out of mind for Snyder's take on Batman. Nolan's films as we all know carried a Batman more grounded in reality and Ben's Batman will take it's cues from the comics, not saying Nolan didn't find inspiration there just never felt like a comic book character with him.

I'm happy a more unrealistic Batman is back with more a comic feel. The third Nolan film really soured my taste towards that style of Batman film, and it certainly wasn't Nolan's fault. RIP Heath Ledger.

11. simonbelmont

Regular

I thought storyline made sense just felt like pacing was off due to studio ordered editing.

12. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

both of these trailers are incredible, and I don't even necessarily like these types of movies

13. selfreliable

Regular

I feel like DC new films get a lot of hate because they arent presented the same way as Marvel's are. People complain that they aren't as funny, uplifting, colorful as the MCU and say that is how comic book movies should be. People need to realize that they are two different companies, with two totally different ways of telling stories. DC is known for being darker, less hopeful and overall more God like characters. I dont understand why the DCEU keeps getting compared to the MCU, especially when the MCU wasnt constantly compared to the Nolan Trilogy when that was first starting out.

simonbelmont and mattylikesfilms like this.
  14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

If there's anyone in this thread that hasn't watched the Ultimate Cut of BvS yet- go watch it.

I loved MoS personally, minus the overuse of city destruction in the third act. When I went to see BvS at the LA premiere 6 days before release, everyone was stoked in the theater including me so I looked past the flaws. Once reviews came out, I was shocked, so I went to see the film again and started to notice some of these blatant issues. I would give the theatrical cut a 6.5/10

The UC? 8.5/10 hell maybe even a 9. It cleans up a lot of plot holes, shows character motivations, cool Easter eggs, shows Superman being more like.. Superman, and the overall tone is different and much better.

It's the film Snyder intended to release but WB got cold feet at the thought of a 3 hour film. Which sucks because all the reviews I read on it, even from people who HATED the theater cut, admits it's at the very least better. I know people will say "shouldn't have to be 3 hours" but it honestly didn't phase me watching it. It wasn't 3 hours bad like The Dark Knight Rises. Ugh. That's a bad Batman film there guys.

simonbelmont likes this.
  15. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

TDKR is my favorite hahah

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  16. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

studio editing also removed steppenwolf and the writing didn't really tease the mother boxes enough where they could equate the infinity stones of the Marvel universe. The editing also removed pivotal scenes that helped clarify or solidify points being made in the story. DVD releases are suppose to add extra content and extend scenes, not clarify the overall story that's being told.

simonbelmont likes this.
  17. simonbelmont

Regular

You bring up an excellent point about the mother boxes, but I feel as though that was something they were leaving JL to explore more of at the time....now after it's reception (critically and otherwise) who knows.

As far as editing is concerned...WB dropped the ball big time, but I stand by my belief that the film still stands as just good as it was presented, not the shit show most claimed it to be. Just my opinion.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but TDKR had enough plot holes to sink Florida. I watched the film like 15 times now to make sure I hate it and man.. I do haha.

Davjs likes this.
  19. transrebel59

Regular

This was a horrible trailer. Looks comically bad.

20. Davjs

Trusted

Real filmmaking talent LOL! Yeah.......he's not incredibly talented or anything. I think his only real miss so far has been BvS, but that has incredible script issues.

21. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

The movie wasn't a shit show and saying it's a "good" movie is a fair assessment. It wasn't a great movie. I didn't bother seeing it more than once in theaters, not because I didn't enjoy it, or didn't want to see it again to possibly look for things I might have missed, but because they announced well in advance there would be an R rated dvd which would have material that would make the story be more coherent. Bad marketing.

There was nothing in the theatrical version to make me believe we will see any of the mother boxes in JL. It's a recruitment movie where Batman has to convince Aquaman and Cyborg that he's not a delusional, crazy individual about the visions/dreams he's been having. A modern chicken little superhero story.

I fully plan on seeing this and am looking forward to it because I'm a fan of the characters, not because of the story set up so far. There is only one story line aspect that actually intrigues me going forward The death of Clark Kent, I have never known Superman to not have his alter ego. which means no connection to the Daily Planet asides from Lane or him blending in with society to get changed in the nearest phone booth. We all know Superman is coming back, but you can't bring back Clark Kent. Which means Superman no longer has a human secret identity.
    A few changes have been made with Terrio being the only individual listed as the writer of the screenplay and there have been plenty of rumors that Affleck also is helping behind the scenes as well.

22. RiseAgainst379

Regular

Go watch part 1 and part 2 of The Dark Knight Returns. It's animated and quite probably the best feature length batman story released in the last decade.

aoftbsten likes this.
  23. NotBruce

Regular

Same here. This looks great, really excited for the DC stuff at this point.

24. TobiasSc

Life is a gift. Remember this.

I think this looks WAY better than anything i saw at BvS or the last DC movies i watched.
    Still not sure if I'm gonna watch it in movie theatre...

25. Will Montei

Trailers can be deceiving. After BvS I will never trust Zach Snyder again. It will take a miracle. #neverforget