Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘I Found the Best Burger Place in America. And Then I Killed It.’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Kevin Alexander, writing at Thrillist:

In my office, I have a coffee mug from Stanich’s in Portland, Oregon. Under the restaurant name, it says “Great hamburgers since 1949.” The mug was given to me by Steve Stanich on the day I told him that, after eating 330 burgers during a 30-city search, I was naming Stanich’s cheeseburger the best burger in America. That same day, we filmed a short video to announce my pick. On camera, Stanich cried as he talked about how proud his parents would be. After the shoot, he handed me the mug, visibly moved. “My parents are thanking you from the grave,” he said, shaking my hand vigorously. When I left, I felt light and happy. I’d done a good thing.

Five months later, in a story in The Oregonian, restaurant critic Michael Russell detailed how Stanich’s had been forced to shut down. In the article, Steve Stanich called my burger award a curse, “the worst thing that’s ever happened to us.” He told a story about the country music singer Tim McGraw showing up one day, and not being able to serve him because there was a five hour wait for a burger. On January 2, 2018, Stanich shut down the restaurant for what he called a “two week deep cleaning.” Ten months later, Stanich’s is still closed.

2. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

saw this a little while ago, really great read.

3. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Wow. A lot to think about here.

AndrewSoup likes this.
  4. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Fantastic read. I was too afraid to check the comments section - and there's a certain irony to there being one at all.

5. AndrewRnR

Really interesting read but I feel it is slightly embellished (ironic since the author made it clear he didn't like writing click bait) that author was at fault. Seems there is some inner-family thing at play that keeps the joint closed.

Have been thinking about how this applies to other areas of interest for me, like music. Reminds me of That Thing You Do. Feel like there are numerous other examples of a smaller band that blows up overnight and falls back down fast when the members can't/don't want to keep up with the demands of spotlight.

6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

AndrewSoup likes this.