Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Game of Thrones’ Creators to Write and Produce a New Series of ‘Star Wars’ Films • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 6, 2018.

1. AshlandATeam

Trusted

It's a good bar to shoot for - Marvel is the most successful (financially speaking) anything out there. If you can repeat that, that'd be great (from Disney's perspective at least).

fenway89 likes this.
  2. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Yep

fenway89 likes this.
  3. skoopy

Regular

Any confidence I had in their ability to create a compelling story of their own was lost after the last season of thrones but without a doubt they have a knack for producing outstanding spectacle so we'll see how it translates.

4. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

You get a Star Wars. You get a Star Wars

kpatrickwood likes this.
  5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'm not very into more white dudes being tapped to develop more Star Wars. Why not get Ava DuVernay to develop a new Star Wars film/series? I wanna see her perspective.

Especially since Star Wars is so wide open right now. It's frustrating enough with superhero adaptations (which still have no excuse), but like, what would a WOC bring to this universe without having to work from someone else's established characters?

Granted, as someone who sees all these superhero films, I'll also probably see these films. And, there's still the possibility of these guys bringing in some marginalized voices to help develop whatever these films are. But, that doesn't mean I can't wish for something more.

6. Oh, brilliant. I misread our discourse completely.

To clarify my original comment, I didn't mean to insinuate that I think Benioff and Weiss are anything special. I don't think anything about them at all, since I don't watch GoT. I simply meant that SW is picking up some of the biggest names behind the most acclaimed TV shows.

But I too loved TLJ. Not sure where it stands in terms of overall rankings, but there's actually a chance it's my #1.

Sorry for being sassy.

coleslawed and Jason Tate like this.
  7. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

8. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Disney should hire whomever they think will execute the project(s) successfully.

9. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Yup and that person should be a woman for once, thanks for playing!

fenway89, St. Nate and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  10. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

Care to elaborate why? Is there a particular female director who has been clamoring to direct a star wars and not been given a chance? Has star wars failed to connect with a female audience because of constantly being directed by men? Are there toxic attitudes present in the films that need to be corrected? Is it just time that a woman got such a prestigious directing job to break the status quo?

11. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I think this is a bit harsh. The show became huge and with that, an increase in star power for all the actors. I'm sure there's a demand for everyone time and they've had to rush toward the finish line to free up time for other projects. Since they're ahead of the books, they're really flying blind and honestly, it's not like it's a simple neat story where all the bows can be tied together before the sun sets. I agree that season 7 is the weakest yet, but it was still entertaining and I absolutely don't believe it's indicative of what they would do with their own show/movie elsewhere.

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  12. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

I’m on board.

13. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Star Wars is in a strange place.

On the one hand, due to the fact of predominant female characters in the last three films, as well as the fact that Lucasfilm's president and most important decision maker is a woman, alt-right asshole dudes are now taking to tearing apart anything and everything the franchise does. Because, to them, it's too much about women. On the other hand, this isn't the only place I've seen people express concern that Star Wars isn't giving enough of a voice or role to women.

So, to review: the most famous franchise in the world, which is essentially run by a woman, is somehow seen as giving women too prominent a role, and not enough of a role, at the same time, by different people. And essentially no one is happy.

I don't know what to say about that. I don't know if it's funny or sad or ironic or none of the above. But it's certainly something.

coleslawed, fenway89 and Mrplum5089 like this.
  14. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Tom DeLonge will be directing a Star War before we know it

15. Ska Senanake

Trusted

This is a dumb argument. 1) d.b. weiss wasn't involved 2) it was before thrones and they clearly hit the ball out of the park with the ice and fire series, even with running out of source material.

I hope whatever they put together is dark as fuck and isnt as predictable as the average at best trilogy we are currently getting

16. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

In his mind, he already is.

17. transrebel59

Regular

While I agree with going with a woman, I'd really like to see Jordan Peele, Ryan Coogler, or Aaron Mcgruder have a shot. I understand why a lot of people would rather them give a woman a chance, though.

kaylasananjou and Chase Tremaine like this.
  18. lol.

There's zero chance you predicted what happened in TLJ.

19. AshlandATeam likes this.
  20. Rumors are out there that she's already in talks for a Star Wars film, but I'm opposed to it (or rather, saving my judgement concerning it) until we see Wrinkle. Those trailers look bad, in my opinion. Thankfully, they're just trailers.

21. I was just talking to someone else about how amazing it would be to follow up Solo with a Lando film directed by Coogler.

22. personalmaps

Ryan Coogler Star Wars would be so so cool.

Chase Tremaine and AshlandATeam like this.
  23. personalmaps

Women are systematically excluded from high-level jobs in Hollywood. Yes, it’s absoltely time to give a woman an opportunity like this. It’s quite common for prestigious male indie directors to be handed franchises based on artistic merit, whereas women are asked to be supreme artists and make millions of dollars before being offered the same chances.

fenway89 likes this.
  24. transrebel59

Regular

I didn't even think about that but now I really wish that's what we were getting in May. Incredibly cool idea.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  25. atticusfinch

Together We'll Fight the Long Defeat Supporter

Interesting, really? I couldn’t be more hyped for Wrinkle. Looks insanely good to me. But to each their own.