Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Game of Thrones’ Creators to Write and Produce a New Series of ‘Star Wars’ Films

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Star Wars:

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

2. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Nah, I’m good.

y2jayjk and Dog with a Blog like this.
  3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

sounds amazing, I literally just wrote would love if they did this

coleslawed and Chase Tremaine like this.
  4. Lucasfilm is methodically picking up the greatest minds of modern television for new Star Wars films. Such an interesting move.

5. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

The guys who just had the idea for a modern slavery show?

Geniuses, for sure.

6. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Despite your sarcasm they absolutely are.

DesireToPlease likes this.
  7. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Joe4th and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  8. Pointing out one movie one of the two people co-wrote is a weird argument. Especially given the rest of the filmography.

9. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

so, if we assume "series" means "trilogy" here, we currently have at least 8 Star Wars films in some stage of production.

10. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I mean I can keep going. Stay, The Kite Runner, the last two seasons of Thrones, Troy...

11. I mean, if you don't think those are well written, uh ... ok ... but you just naming things isn't an argument.

coleslawed, fenway89 and teebs41 like this.
  12. star wars will never end. pro and con.

fenway89 and Adrian Villagomez like this.
  13. Shrek

any saltiness i have towards this announcement is due to the fact that Disney thinks all these stories need to be films as opposed to treating one as a video game or something. fucking EA, man.

fenway89 and Ken like this.
  14. Honestly? Zero clue what you're referring to.

15. Wait wait wait lemme guess, you hated The Last Jedi?

fenway89 likes this.
  16. leahcimbackword

Newbie Prestigious

Is GRRM gonna write it and they adapt it, cause without the source material they’ve been lost

MrAirplane and Youarcade like this.
  17. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Y a w n.

hire a woman. Thx.

Contender, Shakriel, Joe4th and 9 others like this.
  18. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Shrek likes this.
  19. Shrek

i mean a series is more than one and rarely ends at two so i would assume three is a minimum lol

20. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I loved the Last Jedi. It's my second favorite Star Wars film after A New Hope. Benioff and Weiss are not Rian Johnson.

21. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I wasn't thinking about it from that perspective (though that makes sense). I interpreted it to mean it could be stand alones linked by common themes. Similar idea to shows like Black Mirror, except as movies in this case.

Shrek likes this.
  22. Shrek

sounds great. to be clear - im not against another trilogy. its just interesting to me that Star Wars is the next franchise to attempt something akin to Marvel, albeit without any sort of Avengers to tie them together. Marvel has nearly a century of stories to draw from in adapting their characters, curious to see how Star Wars pulls it off with almost exclusively original stories

23. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

No worries, I'm right there with you. I prefer the trilogy one year, stand alone the next trade off model they're going with right now, but I'm absolutely fine with two trilogies alternating as well.

24. AshlandATeam

Trusted

The last project these guys were working on was, in fact, a show that asked the question, 'what if the Confederate won the Civil War and suddenly slavery still existed'? Add in the uneven writing of season 7 of GOT (I liked the season, but the writing was by far the weakest part of it) and this isn't something that makes me super happy. I'm happy for so much Star Wars, and I'm happy for multiple trilogies aside from the Skywalker series. But these two weren't on the top of my list.

The good news is Disney has shown they treat Star Wars with the respect and creativity it deserves - Rebels, Rogue One, TFA, TLJ, the comics, the novels - they've all be really, REALLY top notch since Disney bought the franchise. This is a choice that definitely gives me pause, but I'll give Disney the benefit of the doubt here.

25. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

It’s like they’re trying to out-Marvel themselves.

JRGComedy and Turkeylegz like this.