Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Call of Duty’ Gaming Community Points to ‘Swatting’ in Deadly Wichita Police Shooting • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 29, 2017.

1. AgainstMe182

I come here for the music recommendations, not for debate or discussion. I’m almost 30 years old and it’s New Year’s Eve. I can’t tell you how few shits I give that some random thinks I’m dumb. Btw, I’m on your side in regards to police violence, but if you wanna act like a douche, that’s cool too I guess.

Helloelloallo likes this.
  2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Until the "good" police officers are on the streets joining blm protests, speaking out against police brutality, and calling out their fellow officers then they're part of the problem too. They are part of the system that executes innocent people and then protects those executioners. I believe there should be better training. How many hours goes into conflict resolution and deescalating situations? I'm guessing not many. But as it was said before, if officers are fearing for their lives so badly that it's not uncommon for civilians to be murdered, maybe those weapons they fear should not be so easily accessible.

But also the officer believed there were hostages!!! Who shoots blindly at someone when u think there are hostages and u have not assessed the situation to determine if the person opening the door is a hostage or not. If the officer reacts like that they should not be trusted anywhere near tense situations with any sort of power of authority or weapon.

3. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I love when antagonistic people tell other people not to be a douche.

Anyway, there is no simple solution to the police system and the justice system in general. But coming into a thread where a police officer very clearly misjudged a situation in a very indefensible way, and claiming people should think of the officers probably isn’t the most appropriate time or place. You honestly can’t be that shocked it didn’t go well received.

beachdude42 and skogsraet like this.
  4. Imagine defending murderers and calling someone else a prick.

5. Raku

Regular

Having unfortunately followed many swatting cases on youtube over the years (I might have missed a few (or a lot of) cases), and I knew this was inevitable. Although, I didn't think of it from this angle. I though for sure some gun-nut gamer (or a gamer that was swatted, who had a gun-nut in their household) would try to fight the swat-team and get shot... I didn't think anything like this would happen, it's horrifying, and makes me nervous... Seriously, the fact that someone would be so callous to not only call in a swat, but for someone to give a poor random person's address to be swatted? Overall is messed up.

Now even though I'm a gamer, I tend to not play offline, but thanks to these fools, one has to wonder if a swat team would come barging into our homes becomes some random fool though it would be funny to give a fake address to a swatter.

My view on the matter:

1) Swatter - Should go to jail/prison for life (throw away the key while at it).
    2) The person that gave the fake address should get some jail time to (a good chunk of it).
    3) The middle-man (that contacted the swatter) should also get some jail time. Not sure if he should get the same as person 2, (more, or less) but I'm leaning less.
    4) Killer Cop should be fired, and career ruined. They should be lucky if they can shine shoes as a job. Also keep this dangerous individual from guns. Wouldn't want them shooting a family member because they got a twitchy trigger finger. Not sure if he should get jail time or not (hot take, I'm leaning towards no, but like I said... Career should be destroyed, and banned from getting weapons).

I know people might not like drama on youtube, but Keemstar (of dramaalert) covered this topic very well in two videos. In one video he actually interviewed the swatter, and the other one he updated the story (and fixed wrong info he gave), and interviewed one of the people involved in the COD match that ended in tragedy. I'd post links, but my pc/internet is being odd today.

That being said though, I really hope the government finally cracks down on this "joke" because death was inevitable. If changes do occur, it's a damn shame that this had to happen before swatting was finally being taken care of, but if it doesn't? Well then I will be deeply disappointed, and fearful for my life because like I said earlier. This was some random guy that wasn't a gamer, and he was still swatted.

I know often internet "celebs" and real celeb

6. Raku

Regular

Actually I got youtube to work for me...

Here is the interview with the swatter. Ignore the wrong information on how the two COD idiots were on different teams. They were both sore losers, and got someone (indirectly killed) over $1.50.

Thankfully the guy was caught, and a member the COD team (with the two idiots) was interviewed about his side on the situation.

7. TedSchmosby

Trusted

That interview he got is insane. Wow

8. ttmessick

Unbelievable.

9. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Lol fuck off. None of us care if there are a couple of good cops out there. A couple of good cops haven't managed to do shit. Hold all the inhuman pieces of shit accountable first then we'll chat about 'good cops'.

10. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

I have family in the military who have told me numerous times about all of the things you're supposed to do before you even let the thought of shooting someone cross your mind and how even when you're dealing with terrorists, it's supposed to be an absolute last resort. None of them have senselessly murdered anyone. So why is it so fucking hard for all these random ass cops to avoid getting all trigger happy over someone having their hands near their waistband? Have they never had to pull up their pants in their life?

Regardless of... that, this entire situation was stupid, completely avoidable, and tragic. Fucking imbeciles like those ruin gaming. And calling a SWAT team is never going to be a "funny" """""prank"""""

Raku and tyramail like this.
  11. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

What would your solution be here that does not oversimplify the issue? I don't deny that police are overly aggressive, but it's also an unfortunate effect of having the 2nd amendment, and the fact that these awful violent things do happen in our culture, and on a pretty frequent basis. The police can't just ignore something that is unfortunately a real possibility. If you are led to believe someone is armed, (and legally could very well be), I have some sympathies (depending on the situation) when lethal force is used. My partial solution would be action against police when the force can't be justified, training to prevent the same mistake from being made again, and full prosecution of the idiots who put the police and the victim into the situation in the 1st place. However, it does not involve scaling back the police response unless a hoax can be 100% verified.

12. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Wowww, that guy is scary detached from reality in that interview.

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

holy fucking shit. I've said it before, launch this guy into the fucking sun.

14. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

sadly there are loads of gamers in that same mindset, doing it for the memes. super toxic

Turkeylegz likes this.
  15. farva2

Regular

Glad to see some nice mature responses! I know I’m the dissenting voice here so I’ll just say this and I’m out. I’m not saying that cops who shoot unarmed shouldn’t be punished accordingly, they absolutely should be in accordance to the circumstances involved. But you’ll never solve the problem of these shootings by simply going after the individual officers. It’s the same reason that laws and punishment doesn’t stop crime. You need to attack the root cause of the problem. More training, raise hiring standards and increase salary to draw better candidates, increase community relations etc.
    i know you guys are angry and you have every right to be but so many here are so hateful that it’s just counter intuitive. Want to know why the blue wall of silence is a thing and there’s this good old boys system in place in policing? Most of the comments here just about sum it up. Police feel that society resent them and as a result the relationship between the two will Be contentious. That’s not to say you should love all cops no matter what but Recognize the systemic issues and combat those and we will see improvement.

16. Philll

Trusted

There's an awful lot to unpack there

17. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Maybe people resent and hate cops because they shoot innocent people and uphold the oppression of various groups of people.

18. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Lmao

19. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Insane logic here. Cops cover for each other killing people, planting evidence, doing brutality, because people resent them, apparently. Not for one second did this guy think hey...maybe the reason people resent them...is because they cover for each other killing people, planting evidence, and doing brutality...

20. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

"Chicken, then the egg...or is it the egg first...uh, I stand by my ridiculous opinion based in zero fact."

[​IMG]

21. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Ugh I didn’t want to come back in this messy ass thread but cops act badly because of resentment?? Under a news post about a cop killing a man?? Come on, that’s just willful stupidity

22. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Even if your logic upheld, why would that in any way excuse the cop who abused his power or didn’t do what he should have done in a situation in his position? So because people resent him, he couldn’t have acted like a decent human being?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

yeah it's pretty justifiable for people to be upset that members of the police force are repeatedly killing unarmed citizens, not really sure how that's ever unclear to anyone

Mr. Serotonin and Aaron Mook like this.