Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Black Mirror: Bandersnatch’ Trailer Released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Ska Senanake

Trusted

This is so cool. 5+ hours of footage. I'll probably end up watching all the alternative paths. I used to love those "select your own adventure" books as a kid so it's great to see the idea being brought to the big screen. Imagine if this catches on and you go to the movies and as a theater vote on the path you want to go down. Could make for a very interesting movie experience.

Serenity Now and Chase Tremaine like this.
  3. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

As far as I can tell they haven't officially confirmed that this is the choose your own adventure film, but all signs certainly do point to it.

4. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

This looks cool.

According to imdb: A Black Mirror film, in which the viewer can chose a plot direction several times. The amount of footage that was filmed is reported to be close to 5 hours. The actual running time of the film is 90 minutes.

atticusfinch likes this.
  5. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

That's under trivia, though. I really don't think Netflix has officially confirmed it.

6. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Larry David likes this.
  7. I've been thinking about this idea for years. It would've fixed EVERYONE's problems with The Last Jedi! hahahah

Except me. I loved the movie as-is.

coleslawed and backbynewyears like this.
  8. chcougar1

Trusted

This is why I think games by Quantic Dream like Heavy Rain and Detroit Become Human are awesome.

I don’t know how I feel about it for a show for some reason though. We will see.

Youarcade and Matt504 like this.
  9. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I'm very curious to see how it turns out. Ultimately I don't think that the medium will catch on in a big way just because of the immense costs involved with shooting 5+ hours of footage to what some people will only ever see as a 90 minute movie.

However, the very concept could influence viewers to return and watch it multiple times to discover every adventure and I've long been an advocate for viewers further engaging with the creations they enjoy.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It’s cool concept that I remember from the books when I was younger. The problem always was though, the books kinda sucked.

I think in life you don’t interrupt great storytellers. If someone has your attention and can hold it was a 5 minute story, a 1 hour show, a 2 hour film or a 300 page book then they’ve done their job.

Can you imagine watching Game of Thrones and picking the outcome of major events or what decision characters should make? It’s more fun to be on a well planned ride.

I get it’s novel. I’m glad someone like Netflix is trying this. In the real world we all
    Have to make a lot of decisions. Do we really want more? Plus audiences will most likely pick the same 2-3 options people are people and they seem to that all the time anyway.

Novel is cool once, but we don’t need another 3D movie style trend.

TJ Wells likes this.
  11. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Random, loosely related thought:

Didn't Terrence Malick wanna do something similar w/ a Tree of Life rerelease, but instead of choosing your path, the movie would randomly pick a path for you so every watch would be different? I guess the technology to make the blu ray run seamlessly wasn't quite there.

Whether on streaming or however, I'd love to see Malick fully realize something like that while he's still working.

coleslawed and Larry David like this.
  12. chcougar1

Trusted

I need to watch tree of life again. Seeing it in theaters was something with all of the haters haha

Larry David likes this.