Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Billions’ Star Challenges Emmys Male-Female Acting Categories

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Debra Birnbaum, writing for Variety, on how Billions star Asia Kate Dillon has been talking with the Television Academy about the gender specific classifications for acting categories:

That the star would be a contender for the upcoming Emmy Awards is a given — but when Showtime asked which category Dillon wanted to be submitted under, Dillon had to give it some thought. The performer identifies as gender non-binary, and choosing between “supporting actor” and “supporting actress” sparked a conversation — as well as some homework.

And:

Dillon hopes this sparks a larger conversation about category definitions overall, given that writing and directing aren’t gender-specific. “I can only speak to the world in which I wish to live,” says Dillon. “I think this is a really good place to start a larger conversation about the categories themselves, and what changes are possible and what may or may not be coming. I’m excited to see what other people think, and what they want to say once they become aware of this.”

Billions has been great this year and Asia’s character is a clear standout.

2. lolfpcmlol

Regular

I don't understand this push at all. All it will do is create more divisiveness. I just don't see the need or any benefit from combining male and female categories in any awards show other than to appear progressive while offering nothing of substance.

3. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I get where they are coming from, and on paper it makes sense, but ultimately think it will do way more damage and oppress women more than it will be inclusive of other genders.

Although I just recently got into billions and I was very pleased to see it posted about. Also smug that Jason gave it the stamp of approval cause I think he has good taste.

4. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

My (extremely wise) take: Get rid of award shows altogether!!!