Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Avatar’ Starts Production on Four Consecutive Sequels • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

If I were going to guess while Avatar hasn't really made a stamp on culture in the US, there's a strong possibility that its insanely popular in places like China. They're probably the ones who will eat this thing up.

I'd imagine the lines for any new attraction in Disney are always pretty long, especially in Animal Kingdom which doesn't have that many rides to begin with when compared to some of the other areas. This could also fall into what I said above though.

2. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Avatar's still the highest grossing film ever and it was still a pretty good film (even if it was more of a 3D spectacle) so idk why people are acting like no one cares. It's been 10 years so ofc hype has faded. It'll still dominate the box office and you'll all still go watch it.

Gotta have faith in James Cameron.

3. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

You'll all still go watch them. I can't see myself investing 10 hours of my time and $100 of my money for these, especially considering the last of the 4 will presumably be out 8-10 years from now.

Raku, coleslawed and fenway89 like this.
  4. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I know this was one of the top grossing movies of all time but wasn't it because the effects were incredible? I still haven't seen it and I forgot to see it in theaters when it came back for a week (last year was it?)

5. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

This.

Raku likes this.
  6. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Actually I do have to say Avatar had a massive cultural impact. It single-handedly took 3D movies from a gimmick to being pretty much the standard for big blockbusters (even though I hate 3D).

But the actual film itself - the plot, world, characters? Yea I don't know anyone who remembers anything more than big blue people, Pangea, and that it follows the plotline of Pocahantos.

Raku likes this.
  7. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

The universe just isn’t that cool

Raku and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  8. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Well that can only be a good thing! You have to pursue what you love. However, i don't have high hopes here...

9. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I'd imagine the lines for any new attraction in Disney are always pretty long, especially in Animal Kingdom which doesn't have that many rides to begin with when compared to some of the other areas. This could also fall into what I said above though.[/QUOTE]
    I'm not sure about that. It being at Animal Kingdom surely makes a difference, but from what I've been told by my brother in law (who's a VIP tour guide and pretty plugged into the company because it's his job to either answer questions accurately or be able to believably make something up that will satisfy families paying $600 an hour for his services), this was something different than ordinary 'new rides.' It isn't just rides; it's an entire area, with interactive special effects and unique food areas and shows and all sorts of stuff. Toy Story and Star Wars will get similar treatment in the next couple years, but from what I gathered, it was a roughly like when Universal opened up Harry Potter World as far as crowds and the level of business.

I think there's a greater cultural impact for Avatar than, say, Pirates of the Carribean, which made all the money ever for two or three movies.

Raku likes this.
  10. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

i still don’t think i’ve ever made it all the way through this movie.

Raku likes this.
  11. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

pretty much what I was going to say. Also, this isn't even news as WAY before the land was to open I googled it because I was surprised and thought the land was random. I saw that they had many releases planned but I guess they still haven't started!

Anyway, yes the success at disney world is going to have a huge impact on the success of the future films and the franchise as a whole I'm sure.

Also, I've never even seen Avatar. I don't find it to be a much-talked about film with a crazy following. I thought the land was an odd choice for disney when it was announced, and I still do. However, it's seeing success and I've heard great things about the land in animal kingdom.

Raku likes this.
  12. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I do remember how blown away some people were by this in 3D, which really was the first 3D blockbuster that showcased the technology and in that moment at least suggested 3D had arrived and would impact the industry. But skip ahead 10 years, 3D movies didn't take off (nor did the TVs - funny how they've disappeared quietly never to be spoken about again), and it'll be interesting to see how the public responds when it doesn't have the 3D hook it did then to lure in casual viewers.

Raku and CMilliken like this.
  13. CMilliken

Trusted

This. 3D movies are dead and I couldn’t be happier the studios are moving on from it.

fenway89 and Raku like this.