Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ó (Eskimeaux) Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by incognitojones, Mar 31, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

you need to listen to all the associated bands too (told slant, bellows, Frankie cosmos, I can keep going for ages)

2. cwhit

3. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

My merch is gonna feel weird

4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I've long had a problem with the name. I would have loved to have bought a tshirt tonight to support them but I can't wear something branded with that name. I've been wondering for a while how long it would take for it to be challenged. It always felt extremely off, especially coming from a scene so deeply committed to diversity and acceptance. I also feel like I may have more awareness/sensitivity towards the word, as I spent half a year living and working in Nunavut with at least 95% of people being Inuit. I'm glad something's being done.

Just for my own curiousity, is it widely known that "Eskimo" is a derogatory term? Because most people I've encountered who I call up on the term genuinely have no clue of its implication. We've even got a football team that uses the term in their name.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  5. cwhit

it was challenged before, she's made statements about it and the name.

i don't know enough about the culture and the word to have a real opinion on whether it is "wrong" or not.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

From some little research I've done now, the term is used by the peoples in Alaska still, but is widely considered offensive here in Canada. The name was given to the Inuit people by non-Inuit people and apparently translated to "eater of raw meat" or something to that effect.

When I lived in Nunavut, I was basically told by many people that it was the worst thing I could call an Inuit person.

7. cwhit

8. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Weird choice, I assumed she'd just start going by her name

9. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

Really wish she had changed it to something that wasn't a nuisance to type/say.

10. cwhit

pretty easy to say

oh

11. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Hard to look up tho

Updated title tho

cwhit and Kyle is hk like this.
  12. Kyle is hk

Not Kyle Shanahan Prestigious

What if I'm like "You should check out this band 'oh'" and they're like "you mean the witch house guy?? I love Without Your Love"

or, if they're a pleb, and are like "Oh? Like the letter? What?"

cwhit likes this.
  13. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

cool she changed it, also don't care for the new name, also don't care that I don't care because what's in a name

cwhit likes this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

the only issue I know of here is it's used as a catch all for different ethnic groups, I don't know any Inuit but I know Athabaskans which is a completely different ethnicity even though they're both Alaskan

15. brigid

is this thing on Prestigious

i haven't felt comfortable listening to this band since all this was going on and would be interested in hearing the points if you could dm me some sort of lil recap

16. vidiviciveni

Trusted

It's odd to me that she refers to her own adoptive father as an "eskimo" when everyone else, most of whom are neither Tlingit nor Inuit, seems to be extremely offended to the point of discomfort by this term

17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

She is referring to her biological father, isn't she? And she mostly seems to refer to the past tense when she first discovered this so that's probably why

18. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I was incorrect, you're right.

So here we have a half-Tlingit artist, a person of the descent in question who should be offended by this term, and she isn't. But because a bunch of other people are, she has to change her artistic name which holds great importance to her.

OK.

19. cwhit

can we not? she changed it, this doesn't matter anymore.

20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

she's acknowledging that despite the descent, she's not experienced the lives and hardships of the people that name represents. She didn't have to change her name but she chose to bc it's really the right thing/ she'd been thinking about it anyway

21. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Because your feelings on the matter were validated, it doesn't matter anymore?

22. cwhit

i don't know anything about the name being harmful other than what i've heard. i don't see why we should be mad for any reason, just let it go

23. vidiviciveni

Trusted

See kids, this is how people turn into right-wing dumbasses, because too many left-wingers can't articulate their own reasons for feeling offended

24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I mean. There's specifically no one from the demographic in question who can speak to answer your question, and it's not like anyone else should speak for a whole culture if they aren't of it or immersed in it or anything. And she clearly articulated why she changed it besides that so I'm not sure what the issue is rn

25. cwhit

holy shit lol

i was basically asking why you are even questioning people being "offended" when the artist in question already politely changed the name. there is no reason to care about how anyone else felt, the artist in question felt it was a good enough reason to change. all you're doing is making conflict just to do so

i was not offended, since i am also not part of the groups and don't know the connotation involved. i have no standing on this matter. i am glad that if people felt the name was bad she changed it. she did change it. the old name is irrelevant now.

now kindly fuck off