Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Pandora Unveils New Premium Streaming Service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Pandora has unveiled its new on-demand music streaming service dubbed “Pandora Premium.”

It isn’t a secret that Pandora was planning to launch a full-fledged Spotify competitor. The company said as much last year when it bought Rdio, which had filed for bankruptcy. But today, at a lavish event in New York City, Pandora gave a small group of VIPs and reporters a look at the new streaming service. It’s called Pandora Premium, and, as you’d expect, it offers on-demand access to a massive music catalo. And it looks a lot like Rdio, from the brief glance we have seen so far. But Pandora is leveraging the years of information it has about how its users listen to music to provide the all-important recommendations necessary to help people find new songs to listen to.

2. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I think they'll need more than just using your likes to suggest albums to really make a difference in the marketplace. I suppose this is enticing if you currently use Spotify (or Apple Music, Microsoft Groove Music, etc.) and Pandora independently, but if you don't care about the radio aspects, I'm not sure what incentive you have to switch to this.

Personally, I got two years of Microsoft Groove Music for $31.41/yr when they had a sale on pi day (3/14/15), and I find that the catalog is typically sufficient for my needs and that price point can't be beat. Not sure what I'll do when my subscription runs out though.

3. It's always's seemed like Pandora should be sitting on a wealthy lump of information for listener habits and recommendation information, but they've yet to do anything substantial with the data.

Maybe now?

4. thisisacting__

Regular Supporter

First read $31.41/month and was gonna freak out for you.

5. Tater Tot

Spotify already has my money.

6. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Haha no, I'm too cheap for $9.99/mo, but $2.62/mo sounded like the right price. Plus, I bought like 20 of them that I resold on eBay for $55-60, so that ended up more than covering what I paid for it.