Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Netflix Adds Offline Mode

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Netflix has finally added an offline mode.

While many members enjoy watching Netflix at home, we’ve often heard they also want to continue their Stranger Things binge while on airplanes and other places where Internet is expensive or limited. Just click the download button on the details page for a film or TV series and you can watch it later without an internet connection.

Raku likes this.
  2. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I love how sudden this was. Every time I heard Hastings talk about the prospect, he sounded very dismissive of it or hinted that if it did happen, it wouldn't be for a while.

Raku likes this.
  3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

:-OThe future is now.

Chase Tremaine and elemenohpe like this.
  4. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Would only use it for flights, but cool nonetheless. I've been on a few flights with free wifi, but they've struggled to play Netflix.

5. Schooner

Trusted

I would use the shit out of this at work. Sorry to my boss in advance

coleslawed and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  6. The addictions shall be all-consuming and unstoppable!!!!

7. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Ugh. I just spend $60 downloading movies on itunes for a couple long flights I have coming up. Oh well this is still great news.

8. Derek Wright

Regular Prestigious

This is dope. My flights are gonna be much more interesting. Stoked!

9. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I'm a big podcast guy, and being able to download those and listen to them anywhere has really changed the way I go about my day. This is going to be huge

Mr. Serotonin and Schooner like this.
  10. This is cool for plane flights, but with T-mobile's unlimited data I could basically do this anyways!

11. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

woooooooo

12. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Like everyone said, this is incredible for flights/train rides. This is also great for people in office jobs where theyre bored out of their mind. Binge on, friends.

13. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

fwiw the article implies that not all titles available on Netflix to stream are available to download, which answers my question of "how on Earth did Netflix secure rights to authorize downloads of its entire streaming library," haha.

14. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

In any case, the cached versions will still be encrypted and useless (at some point) if you cancel your subscription. I bet you have to "renew" your cached versions or at least some part of them at least once every 30 days by being online. So it's not as big of a security concern.