Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

What.cd Shut Down

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

One of the more infamous private music sharing sites, What.cd, has been shut down:

What.cd, an invite-only music torrent website first launched in 2007, has been shut down after a raid by French authorities. The private tracker offered free (and often illegal) access to a massive, deeply thorough collection of music and was popular among audiophiles for its strict rules around quality and file formats. The site was created after the shutdown of another well-known torrent website, Oink, which operated between 2004 and 2007.

2. shea

RIP Supporter

Fuck.

I only got to use one of my FL tokens...

dylan likes this.
  3. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOO

It'll be back up, right? Like TPB is after each raid?

4. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

Glad I got Apple Music. Haven't used that site in a minute.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Not sure how many people here were active users beyond just downloading, but What consisted of the greatest, most knowledgeable audiophile community I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of. This will be missed.

6. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

This is horrible. I'm having PTSD from when OiNK shut down.

First Waffles disappears and now this? Woof...

shea likes this.
  7. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

I've been able to survive without it but rip

Raku likes this.
  8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

whoa.

9. hoodrat

Regular

Waffles and What both gone in the span of a few weeks. Hopefully Waffles makes its way back.

10. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Pretty similar to my first reaction. Sitting at a ref light yelling "Noooooooo" at my phone. Hopefully it will come back up as you mentioned.
    I've got a Music subscription too, but no subscription will ever have nearly the catalog that what.cd had. They had every obscure single, every 7", every international edition of every album, etc. and all in a multitude of high quality audio types. I bet there were well over 100 variations of blink-182's TOYPAJ alone.
    I'm really, really hoping this site pops up somewhere else. Or that the majority of stuff pops up again on another similar site (as was the case with OiNK stuff popping up on what.cd

EDIT: I commented before actually visiting the site. Not a promising message. Dammit.

11. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

What

12. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

Very sad about this. :(

13. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

That is... beyond depressing. What was an archive beyond my imagination. I buy vinyl and subscribe to streaming services and go to every damn show I can manage and support the artists I love. What.CD was.. it was beautiful. The community was great, the standards were insane.

I feel its warranted to be able to have FLAC versions of the albums I own on vinyl without having to rip them myself. I'm sure that's another discussion with differing opinions. Regardless of that, truly bummed.

The Lucky Moose and Daniel182 like this.
  14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Just another nail in the coffin of this fucking stupid year.

dylan likes this.
  15. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

honestly never used or had access to this at all

Raku likes this.
  16. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I would have given you the one invite I had that I will now never get to use. :tear:

17. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

:uhoh: always did wonder what this was all about though... real shame for those who used it a lot.

18. brandon

Regular Prestigious

19. cerealtony

tech-savvy at-risk youth

Lueda from AP.net graciously gave me an invite to what.cd about 7 years ago and I've loved it ever since. So so sad to see it go.

20. fishguts182

Regular

What.cd was awesome for finding rare stuff in FLAC format.

21. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Nick likes this.
  22. razorburn

Trusted

:tear:

23. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

Easily the best torrent tracker ever to exist. I relied on this so much to get good quality rips. Now what do I do?

24. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

haven't used it much since streaming but it was a very important part of me having all high quality well tagged music and plenty of deep cuts, really a bummer

25. josh.hofer

Still can't believe it's gone. We all knew something like this could happen at anytime, but when it does, it really hits you hard. Easily one of the best music communities ever created. Really really going to miss it, discovered so much new music there it's bonkers. Nothing can touch their artist matrix for recommendations!

RIP What.

Daniel182 likes this.