Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Google and Facebook to Ban Fake News Sites From Ad Networks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Facebook and Google have decided to ban fake news sites from using their advertising networks. Again, this seems like something that would have been useful a few months ago, but it’s a good step in the right direction.

Google kicked off the action on Monday afternoon when the Silicon Valley search giant said it would ban websites that peddle fake news from using its online advertising service. Hours later, Facebook, the social network, updated the language in its Facebook Audience Network policy, which already says it will not display ads in sites that show misleading or illegal content, to include fake news sites.

2. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

So they're banning Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, and 75% of the Internet when it comes to "news"? Pretty cool

coleslawed likes this.
  3. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Does this include sites like the Onion or just sites that are deliberately attempting to mislead readers?

4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I wish Chorus would ban fake news. C'mon, is this really news?

amorningofsleep likes this.
  5. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

too little too late, it seems

6. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

What kind of world do we live in where shit like this only takes effect after the horrifying result of a Presidential election?

7. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

You're so edgy!

Robk, dylan, Luroda and 1 other person like this.
  8. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

lol, yeah go get the "REAL" news from Alex Jones!

Good god..

9. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I mean, any form of censorship is a good form of censorship, amiright??

Raku likes this.
  10. This isn't censorship.

Robk, Mr. Serotonin, Luroda and 2 others like this.
  11. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I never even hinted at that. If you get your news from him then that's your business. I think he's a joke, no offense.

12. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

You're so edgy for using the word edgy. 2x edgy

Davjs likes this.
  13. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I don't think the Onion is trying to "deliberately mislead readers". I think it's purely comedy.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Which is why I said "or" to make a distinction. I can understand facebook trying to wipe out sites that are actively trying to trick readers. I'm not ok with them getting rid of sites like the Onion that provide satire. My concern is that the line between those two things could end up being hard to see if fake news sites start trying to claim they're satire.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  15. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Missed that, it's early. Carry on.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  16. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I doubt this includes satire. I personally have never seen The Onion or Clickhole trend on the news feed. The distinction is obvious to a majority of people, but Poe's Law isn't going anywhere unfortunately.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.