Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

All Get Out – Nobody Likes a Quitter

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Sometimes waiting pays off.

It’s now the last quarter of 2016, and we finally have the sophomore effort from All Get Out, Nobody Likes a Quitter. The band’s last full length, The Season, was released all the way back in September of 2011. Now widely considered something of a cult classic, that record was followed up four years later with the Movement EP, an effort meant to reflect the pace and energy of the band’s live show. Now almost a year later, we have All Get Out’s second full length, and it was worth every (im)patient day we waited for it.

Album opener “Room to Talk” serves as a perfect transition from the end of Movement. Listening to Movement and Nobody Likes a Quitter back-to-back, the last chord finishes ringing out on “All My Friends are Dead,” and then picks right up again at the beginning of “Room to Talk” with a powerful full-band punch. This energy lasts all of the first verse, leading the listener to believe they’re about to get a massive chorus, but the band stops short, subverting this expectation and giving the first taste of the introspection that is present throughout the album. “I felt unsure,” frontman Nate Hussey sings, “Like was it me / Am I not normal?” It’s the first hint that we’re getting a less aggressive, more thoughtful, and more calculated version of All Get Out than we’ve heard previously.

Much of this change of pace is the result of Hussey’s collaboration with Andy Hull and Robert McDowell from Manchester Orchestra, who not only produced, but also helped write for this record. “Andy really held me accountable to the meaning of the songs.” Hussey admits, “We’d go over lyrics and he’d ask me, ‘What are you trying to say?’” This meticulous songwriting is on full display during songs such as “Empty Nest” and “ATX,” where themes of self-doubt and personal upheaval are so well conveyed that synesthesia starts to kick in. In “Room to Talk,” the refrain “What do I know” is introduced and shows up again in “Home,” the first of a few lyrical and musical tropes repeated across multiple songs on the album. This kind of connectivity, coupled with the perfectly balanced, consistent production, gives it a real sense of cohesion. While each song stands on it’s own perfectly well (each of the pre-release singles was better than the last), the album is absolutely best consumed as a whole.

Hussey’s lyrics draw influence from so many aspects of life it’s impossible to not relate. Internal monologues, (“Home”) discussions with God, (“Wait List”) even debating the merits of moving from South Carolina to Texas serve as lyrical ammunition. This band’s ability to write hard-hitting songs is nothing short of incredible. Nobody Likes a Quitter is All Get Out’s best offering yet, which is saying something considering just how good The Season and Movement are. It leaves me excited to see just what else Hussey and co. are capable of producing in the future.

2. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Ryan Gardner and Zac Djamoos like this.
  4. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

What Craig said, haha

Ryan Gardner and Aj LaGambina like this.
  5. I think my ranking is still The Season > Movement > Nobody LIkes a Quitter, but I really enjoy all three records. So happy to have All Get Out back!

teebs41 likes this.
  6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

My ranking may be the same personally but I think this record has a much more accessible quality to the average music fan and is a lot more diverse

fenway89 and BigMouth like this.
  7. AshlandATeam

Trusted

In a year in which both Jimmy Eat World and Brian Fallon released basically perfect records, I can't believe I like something better. I don't know if this is better than the Season (which is the album I've listened to more than any other since it came out), but it's a conversation, and I think this is my album of the year.

Serious question that means nothing - when does a band become your favorite band? Is two albums and two EPs enough for a dude in his thirties to definitively say 'I enjoy this band over these other bands I've listened to for years'? Because yeah. I'm pretty sure I'm there with All Get Out (and, as an aside - this band is basically Nathan Hussey and his friends, and his solo record is incredible as well).

8. Leftandleaving

I'd say that's up to you to call. If their music means that much to you, then I'd say hell yeah, call em your favorite band

coleslawed likes this.
  9. Blake Solomon

Mr. Emeritus Prestigious

This is such a fantastic record, with maybe their best song ever - "whatever."

And that's coming from someone who thinks The Season is the best record of this genre/era. I still like season more, but this is in no way a let down. So worth the wait.

teebs41 likes this.
  10. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Seconding that solo record

11. Leftandleaving

There's another on the way ;)

coleslawed and Aj LaGambina like this.
  12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Yea I saw that pretty amped for that

Aj LaGambina and Zac Djamoos like this.
  13. daldalian Nov 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 8, 2016)
    daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

The Season is an absolutely perfect album for me. To humble brag, I was lucky enough to be in a band who opened for AGO a handful of times back in 2008/2009. I'm certain a lot of my love for that album has a lot to do with nostalgia for that time in my life and hanging out with the band, but it has also aged so well and I still love every word.

NLAQ is growing on me with every listen. The production is amazing and Nate is such a fantastic songwriter. I don't think it will top The Season for me, but it's a great listen in its own right. Empty Nest is amazing. My deepest wish is for an AGO/The Wonder Years tour. That would be my everything.

teebs41 likes this.
  14. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

I can't believe how many times I have listened to this album already. I would guess around twenty times. I can't believe how much I love it. I really hope they get the tour around places. I have been wanting to see them for a long time and hope Minnesota/Wisconsin is in the near future.

teebs41 likes this.
  15. snaps

Regular Supporter

Good review Aj.

16. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

Thank you kindly!

17. Brodobaggins34

They fixed your brain when you were young.

Solid review Aj.

I agree with pretty much everyone here - this album is fantastic and I'm a little unsure how to stack it up against the other albums in the discography. The Season is very special to me based on the time it came out, the lyrics, and all the memories of bandmates and I jamming it on long drives on tour...

However, this album, in it's own right, is pretty much perfect. It's one of the few albums I've encountered in my life that I can just listen to on repeat for a whole day and not get tired of it. I also love how it reminds me of Simple Math, which is my favorite Manchester record, without being too overbearing.

Basically... This will be in my top 3-5 by the end of the year.

teebs41 and Aj LaGambina like this.
  18. beckerm6

so good. so so so good.

19. efp722

Regular

Really enjoyed the prerelease tracks. Tried listening to the whole album when it finally came out but it just didn't click. Giving it sometime before giving it another go.