Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 15th Anniversary of the iPod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The iPod turned 15 over the weekend. The Verge has a cool visual history of the icon device:

And while the classic iPod design was finally retired two years ago, and the remaining members of the iPod line are less important to Apple’s strategy today than they were years ago, it’s still an integral part of history, both for the company and the larger tech industry.

So here’s a look back at some highlights in the history of the king of MP3 players, from the physically scrolling plastic wheel of the original iPod to the smooth glass and aluminum of today’s iPod Touch.

And Nobuyuki “Nobi” Hayashi found the 20 CDs that were curated by Steve Jobs to give to journalists along with the iPod to test out the device:

Steve Jobs insisted that Apple has no intention of stealing away the sales of the music industry; remember this was way before iTunes Music Store. What Apple did to keep its word is buying same number of 20 CDs sets and gave it along with the iPod prototypes to the journalists.

It has been 15 years since then, and I thought I have lost them. But recently, as I was moving to a new house, I have found that set (shrink wrapped).

Below you will find the list of those 20 CDs which was carefully selected by Steve Jobs and the original iPod team (lead by Stan Ng). Enjoy!

2. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

My iPod Classic finally took a bath a few months back. Have since migrated over to uploading my library to Google Music. But to be completely honest, I've probably listened to less music because of that.

3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Still use my iPod Classic every single day.

4. LionInMyPocket

I was born in a swamp, born with no clothes on

My ipod classic is the most important piece of technology I own and probably the most personal. Also I loved seeing the album arts that would show up on ads and commercials... I remember seeing Buzzard by Margot & The Nuclear So & So's cover on one of the commercials and though it was so cool!

coleslawed likes this.
  5. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I tremble at the thought of the day when my Classic dies. I bought the final version of the model two years ago, and it is a workhorse.

6. theredline

Trusted Supporter

When I got the U2 edition for Christmas I was so happy! And I still have it somewhere and I think it still works...I can't remember...!

7. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I still use my iPod Classic most days, but I generally use Apple Music for the ease of access. It's typically much easier for me since updating my iPod on my old Macbook can often be a process.

8. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

As someone who's held onto using the Ipod 160 gig classic WAY past its prime, can someone sell me on a streaming/cloud service that would be a good replacement? As much as I'd love to envision it, I can't imagine still using this thing 5-10 years down the road if it's going to become more expensive to buy second hand and the rest of the world is moving on to more convenient technologies.

9. Tylar

I think it was 2007 when I bought the 160gb iPod classic, boy was I so thrilled that I could have my entire music collection on the go. It only lasted maybe 2 years, but it blew my mind that something of that size could hold an insane amount of music(even with 320kb files mind you). I just recently got the 256gb iPhone 7 and its like I'm reliving that feeling again. This wasn't that interesting but yeah the iPod classic was super important to me.

Spencer Rhoton and Dan O'Neill like this.
  10. chris-wrecker

Trusted

I have a newer ipod touch and an apple music account. i just download all the albums i want to take with me on offline mode, works best for me because i dont have the storage on my phone and dont have wifi at my job.

11. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

I want the fucking scroll wheel back!

coleslawed likes this.
  12. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I can remember a time when I'd always have my ipod and razer (phone) in my pocket at the same time . The ipod might be my favorite piece of technology, ever. But man, does the iphone make my pockets feel lighter haha.

13. Dan O'Neill

Regular

I went from a 160 gig classic to Apple Music, and I've never looked back. The music you've purchased on iTunes actually mingles in with the music you've saved from Apple Music, so it's pretty painless to make the switch.

14. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I honestly couldn't tell you what happened to my iPod. Was a great thing to have, especially growing up with the Discman, CD sleeves and holders, batteries, etc.

Streaming is so convenient for the consumer, I couldn't imagine going back to an iPod now. Kids are so lucky these days haha.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  15. pbueddi

Trusted

As do i. I will never not have a dedicated mp3 player.

16. eyeamthu1

Is there actually anything else good on the market which is basically solely an mp3 player, but works with iTunes?

I will need an iPod replacement when mine eventually dies - I have my whole music library on iTunes, and would happily buy an iPod replacement, but the only thing Apple seems to offer is essentially an iPhone minus the phone capability .... you need up spending a lot of money for a lot of stuff you don't need and not enough storage space - when all I want is a classic iPod, solely for playing music.

17. manoverboard679

If you have to ask, you can't afford it

I
    I was the same way, used my classic for prob 10 years. Eventually I got tired of having to carry it and my phone around everywhere since I wouldn't leave it in the car. Tried amazon cloud service which was great but if reception sucked or I was on a plane, etc.. it wasn't reliable enough for the long term. I finally just bought a 256 gb micro sd card and have never looked back. It's worth it just to have bluetooth capability at all times. Of course if you have an iphone this option doesn't work..

18. Dan O'Neill

Regular

Doesn't Amazon Music offer the ability to save your music for offline use? Literally every other music streaming service does. With Apple Music and Spotify, I've never had to worry about reception, because I have dozens of gigs of saved music. :)

And you're right that iPhones don't take SD cards, but they do make 256GB iPhones now. It's crazy to think that phones can have such high capacities now.

19. jorbjorb

7 rings

wish I never broke mine. Had to drop a 70lb Dumbell on it to do the job lol.

20. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Thanks. Just so I'm clear, you might a 256 gb micro sd card for your phone right?

21. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

They're definitely lucky to have the technology that they are used to having.

But, I really feel like growing up in the discman/cd sleeve era helped me create more of an intimacy with music. Sitting on the school bus, shuffling through your sleeve to find the album you wanted to dive into, rather than just hitting shuffle. I would keep the booklets in my sleeve too and read along to the lyrics. Ahhh, the good ole days.

Dan O'Neill and Ryan Garner like this.
  22. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I get it, a lot of it just has to do how you were raised listening to music. You can still keep a "sleeve" on your phone by downloading them for offline use. Incredible how far we've come.

Unrelated, I've seen two discmen this week and it's freaked me out both times.

SEANoftheDEAD and Dan O'Neill like this.
  23. manoverboard679

If you have to ask, you can't afford it

It does but I got tired of having to pre-plan and save certain songs/albums for offline use. I want what I want and when I want it with music lol

Dan O'Neill likes this.