Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New Rogue One Trailer is Released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

coleslawed likes this.
  2. So many chills.

3. Beholdtheriver

Regular

:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  4. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

This is everything I hoped it would be. Chills.

5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Also can we all just appreciate the gorgeous Cinematography? The shot of Mads when the empire comes for him? Vader walking in? Gorgeoussssss

6. No kidding. The immediate-classic feel of these shots have had me sold since the original teaser. The whole look of this film seems prepared to trump all previous Star Wars films. Initially, I was only hoping for something better than Edwards' Godzilla, but I'm getting more and more confident that we are in store for something far greater indeed.

Now if we can just get an Episode VIII that's as good or better than The Brothers Bloom and Looper, then we'll reeaaalllly be in business.

7. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Vader

8. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Vader is going to kill everyone

9. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

DUUUUUUDE

I know. I love Rian Johnson so much. Did you ever see his debut Brick? Amazing. I have no doubt in my mind he will deliver the best of the trilogy. Just like Empire.

Back to Rogue One; I always loved the premise but man was I let down by Godzilla. The trailers had me so hyped and the first 15 minutes are fantastic but then it just goes down from there for me. Once I heard Edwards comparing Rogue One to Saving Private Ryan, I was stoked as hell, then re shoot horror stories came out and I was worried Disney was watering it down. They probably did too. However, if this trailer is any indication- this film will be great. The look and feel of this and Force Awakens (a film I enjoyed but ultimately was a tad let down by due to its beat by beat copy of the original) is 100% what a modern day Star Wars film should be. The future looks bright!

coleslawed and Chase Tremaine like this.
  10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

11. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I am trying so hard to keep my expectations at a reasonable level for this, but the trailers keep getting better and better.

12. I appear to have liked both Godzilla and TFA a bit more that you did. Definitely didn't love either from a first viewing, but a second watch of TFA helped me make sense of all the problems I had with the plot. And my perspective on the Episode IV rip-off issue that I share with everyone is that I think everyone involved very purposefully gave us a familiar, comfortable plot so that they could focus on what really mattered: the characters. We now know and love Rey and Finn, so, mission accomplished! Now the filmmakers will be able to head off into brand new territory plot-wise, with the leading characters having been firmly established.

mattylikesfilms and fluxyjoe like this.
  13. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Totally. I agree with you on why they did what they did to ease people in. I'm mixed on it but either way- I love the characters and now that their set we can get into the good stuff! I definitely enjoyed TFA muchhhhh more than Godzilla too so I'm not worried at all about the trilogy and this trailer for Rogue One put my worries to rest as well.

14. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

At least this has more balls than Abram's TFA soft-reboot does. Exploring new territory whilst remaining true to the Star Wars artform.

15. save the rebellion save the dream

16. Davjs

Trusted

Brick is incredible. Godzilla was super disappointing. I won't hold that against him though, this looks incredible.

TFA is so good still, holds up on repeat viewings. Only flaw is that it isn't longer. So much to be explored.

mattylikesfilms and aoftbsten like this.
  17. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

@Davjs Seconded on Brick. That movie is fantastic. Plus Looper is one of my favorites from the last few years. I remember watching that and thinking I hope they get this guy to direct one of the new Star Wars movies.

mattylikesfilms and theagentcoma like this.
  18. Davjs

Trusted

Yes, Looper was soooooo good and I hope getting Star Wars opens up doors for him to do whatever projects he wants since Looper didn't do too well ( I don't think).

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  19. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Nah it did made a good profit. $30 million budget, $176.5 million in revenue.

20. Davjs

Trusted

Oh cool, I don't know why I didn't think it did well. Maybe because it seems like it came and went with not a lot of buzz.

Only 30 mil huh? Seems like it doesn't take 150 mil to make a good movie :-)

21. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

DARTH VADER :heart:

22. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I think it was only about $60 million domestic, the rest being international. But yea, $30 does seem like a small budget for a sci-fi film these days, especially considering the big names involved with the movie.

mattylikesfilms and Davjs like this.
  23. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Agree with pretty much all of this.

Yeah about wishing Rian would do a SW film when Lucas sold the rights. I remember being floored when news came he signed on. I did not see it coming at all and I can't wait to see his film.

Looper is pretty damn amazing but the third act could use a little work. Also, Brothers Bloom is criminally underrated. The finale in that film with Brody pulled over on the side of the road made me shed a tear.

Davjs likes this.
  24. Davjs

Trusted

Agreed. It all seemed to just wrap up really quickly and convenient. I also would have loved to have seen dialog and the fight between Bridges and Willis instead of it happening off screen. It wasn't enough to hurt the film overall IMO though.

25. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Agreed on the Brothers Bloom, but I'd still put Looper and Brick above it. All three are fantastic films though, the man can flat out write and direct. Let's not forget he directed two of the best Breaking Bad episodes too.

mattylikesfilms and Davjs like this.