Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Say Anything is an American rock band from Los Angeles, California. The band was formed in 2000 by Max Bemis and four of his friends. Within two years, they self-released two EPs, Junior Varsity and In Your Dreams, and the full-length Baseball: An Album by Sayanything.

In 2003, the band signed with their first label, Doghouse Records. A year later, they released ...Is a Real Boy. To support the album, they picked up new members and began touring; however, despite rapidly growing critical and fan acclaim, Bemis' health problems, including bipolar disorder and drug addictions, sidelined the band in 2005 as five band members left during the year.

Say Anything signed with J Records in 2005 and, following Bemis' successful rehabilitation, re-released ...Is a Real Boy on J Records. They went on co-headlining tours with Saves the Day in 2006 and Hellogoodbye in 2007. On October 23, 2007, the band released their third full-length album, In Defense of the Genre. In 2008, Say Anything went on a headlining tour across the US and UK and appeared on every date of Warped Tour. Their fourth album, entitled Say Anything, was released on November 3, 2009.

2. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Well, shit.

I didn't want to be the one to break the thread in, but since it's still without replies, I might as well. I'm curious, because I know a lot of you folks around here don't exactly love IDTII or for some of you, any of Max's recent output, what would you like to see the band do in the future?

Personally, I loved the return to a strong concept that Hebrews had and would love Max to return to that style of songwriting. Although I think he limits himself in terms of subject matter, I do believe he's a good storyteller, and should pretty much just do concept albums from now on (although I'm a sucker for them). I actually really liked the anything goes nature of the latest, and enjoyed that album about as much, if not more than Hebrews, but I think Max could really step up and release another album on the level of ...Is a Real Boy, if only he allowed himself to.

3. CitizenSnips

Say Anything fan since forever here,

I grew up feeling like I knew Max Bemis through his music. We're roughly the same age so each album spoke to me like no other musician could at the time. ...Is A Real Boy was literally the reason why I picked up a guitar and started learning to play music, it's just an incredibly inspiring record for any teen going through shit. I can't really describe just how much impact Max's songwriting has had on my life.

That being said I've grown up now, yet can still listen to any album before the self-titled all the way through without a skip, and for some reason now that Max and the band are more active than ever I know fewer and fewer people who talk about Say Anything or even know they exist anymore. With the release of I Don't Think It Is, I've finally accepted that Max is never going back to the same passionate anti-anti hero I know him as, and if you've watched the newest music video for "Give A Damn" it really feels like he is just mocking his older fan-base.

I get it, musicians grow up and change just like everyone else, but I think Max has gotta accept that people fell in love with Junior Varsity and ...Is A Real Boy because it has so much damn heart. Within every freaking song on those records you can hear and feel Max's emotion, his frustrations and longing, it's just so fucking powerful. I don't feel that passion or emotion anywhere in Hebrews, and especially IDTII. As an older fan I feel dis-heartened with the new releases, but that'll never change the fact that Max Bemis is still one of my heroes.

4. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

No passion in IDTII? I'd say it's one of the most passionate records I've ever heard.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  5. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Thank you for making a Say Anything thread that was not attached to I Don't Think It Is. haha I love Say Anything, I'm one of the few people on here who likes Anarchy and Hebrews, but IDTII is the worst album I've ever heard by a band I love. I'm really hopeful for an In Defense tour, and maybe repress (since I missed the SRC one) next year.

Aaron Mook and SpyKi like this.
  6. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Still love Hebrews and I'm excited for whatever he does next despite hating IDTII.

7. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Hebrews is so good. I'm really just hoping IDTII was just it's own thing and the next album will be good. I just hope he returns to his more story based/personal writing as opposed to the cringey political/hate for people who don't like his new music that's on IDTII.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  8. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

I enjoyed IDTII, but I totally agree that Max's strength lies in personable songwriting and storytelling. I hope that's where the next album goes. I don't think Hebrews was his most consistent album on a song-by-song basis, but I really like the structure of it. If we could get an album of lyrics ala "John McClane" or "Cemetery," I'd be thrilled.

Dan O'Neill and angrycandy like this.
  9. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I'm late to the party but I really love IDTII. Its the perfect gym album and for me a return to form for Bemis. It's the raw unbridled catharsis I got from listening to this band when I was in Jr. High all over again.

10. Aaron Mook Jun 4, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2017)
    I'm happy to see some positivity in this thread :-)I'll always be intrigued by Max and give his new releases a listen

angrycandy likes this.
  11. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I'm glad there are people who like IDTII, but since it's released it seems like outside of the couple people who enjoy the album, the general opinion of Say Anything is more negative then ever. So I'm really glad there's a little positivity to be had here. I really do love everything outside of the newest record, Anarchy and In Defense helped me through one of the worst years of my life. (I literally just snapped, lost my mind, and was disconnected from reality for about a year)

Aaron Mook likes this.
  12. chewbacca110

Still love IDTII. It's such a "fuck it, I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do" album. I have nothing but respect for that.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  13. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I have respect for IDTII and generally like it more than Hebrews but I really don't like either of those albums.

But I'm in the same boat of the first three still meaning a lot to me and I'll always listen to whatever Max does.

14. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Hopefully whatever he does next isn't so far out that it alienates even more of his fanbase. I wanna like everything he does, he's just been making it hard the last few records

15. Dan O'Neill

Regular

I love IDTII. Absolutely love it. I wouldn't mind another album in the style of Hebrews though.

I've been listening since Is A Real Boy, and it's been fascinating to see Max go from a troubled dude with a guitar to a husband/father/comic book writer. He's got his shit together these days. :)

16. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Does he though? He hasn't been looking too good on stage these days.

Edit: actually, ignore this, I really don't want to be speculating on something publicly that I know nothing about

17. chewbacca110

I can agree with this. Lyrically "Hebrews" is VERY specific to his life and if you don't know Max Bemis' history a lot of it may be confusing and as mentioned: "alienating". As a huge Bemis fan I found the album fascinating and soul-bearing. IDTII is off putting for just being raw and gross sounding. I love when Max gets weird but I wouldn't mind a little bit more of a straight forward record next time just to keep us on our toes.

Dan O'Neill and angrycandy like this.
  18. Dan O'Neill

Regular

I saw them in Philly last month. Max looks great. He's got his belly back, but whatever. :)

19. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Fuck, have you guys seen Coby lately? He seems to have gone insane after falling way too far down the exercise hole.

20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Huh?

21. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

This is Coby now.

And then he tweets shit like this.

22. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Holy shit you weren't lying.

23. chewbacca110

He looks like a ball of fun now.

24. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

holy shit lol

25. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I have had him on Facebook for years now and he is completely out of his fucking mind now. All he talks about is how everyone but him is eating wrong.