Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Why Billie Joe Armstrong Hates the Phrase “Pop-Punk”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day talked to Kerrang about why he was on a mission to “destroy the phrase pop-punk” – NME has the quote:

“I come from a scene where every band was different from the others; it was all so diverse,” Armstrong continued. “No two bands sounded the same. No-one was jumping on one particular sound. We were all different. Every good band was into what other good band were doing, and it didn’t matter that these bands were very different from one another. In fact, it was important that we were different from one another.”

“And now we have pop-punk. And I hate that phrase. It lacks diversity.”

But “defend diverse music” doesn’t sell as many TV shirts.

2. I see his point, but I don't think the problem is diversity. I think the problem is that "punk" was supposed to be the opposite of popular. Once punk became pop, something about punk's origins died a little bit. Punk ceased to be a cause or a statement or an ethos or an ethic and became, well, a music genre: one with tropes, standards, cliches, fans, fan expectations, and imitators. But that's the music business, and I'd argue it's better that we have diluted versions of punk or distant cousins of punk rather than no punk at all. Authentic punk though? That existed for a time, it served its purpose, but that mindset matched with that style of music will never exist in the same exact way again.

Raku, popdisaster00 and smowashere like this.
  3. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

[​IMG] [​IMG] ...but the punk scene, where he comes from, wasn't all about this? [​IMG]

4. AshlandATeam

Trusted

He isn't wrong.

Audrey Horne likes this.
  5. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Remember when Green Day were good?

Raku likes this.
  6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

I heard their newest album, yeah

7. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

You're acting like Revolution Radio dropped 20 years ago.

8. duritzfan13

all we have is time

Gotta say I agree. I really don't like what the term has come to represent in recent years. A lot of the scene sounds exactly the same. Seems like vocalists think that in order to be "pop-punk" you have to imitate your heroes.

Raku and Audrey Horne like this.
  9. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Yuck.

Raku likes this.
  10. kidinthebushes

Trusted

He sounds like a grumpy old man. Let the kids enjoy their pop punk.

SteveD likes this.
  11. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

I've always hated that phrase.

12. Mudkip!

SteveD likes this.
  13. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Don't know why people feel the need to make comments like this

Penguin and AshlandATeam like this.
  14. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Because they suck now. It's called having an opinion.

Raku likes this.
  15. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

There's no need to express your "opinions" in such trolling, obnoxious ways.

Penguin likes this.
  16. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Go to bed.

Dirty Sanchez, Raku and snaps like this.
  17. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Dirty Sanchez, Davjs and Kyle Max like this.
  18. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

hostility rears its ugly head once again in a Chorus.FM thread.

idk its hard for me to take Billie serious on this stuff when he regularly uses words like "r*tarded" and "f*ggot" and yes i know hes bi that doesnt make it ok.

Raku and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  19. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Thinking he regularly uses those words makes me think you don't listen to them very often

20. CoffeeEyes17

im not referring to just the music

Raku likes this.
  21. clockwise

I don't think he's known to casually throw around either of those words, don't know where you're getting that impression from

22. CoffeeEyes17

interviews, live shows, word of mouth, etc.

and even IF it wasnt regularly, once is enough for me to draw the line. theres also that time they dropped the N word in a song. not cool. but hey, do you.

Raku likes this.
  23. clockwise

As a huge Green Day fan I really think you have the wrong impression about him.

In the context of the lyrics, I completely understand you feeling put off by those words being used.

24. CoffeeEyes17

i dont think billie joe is a bad person AT ALL, nor do i think hes racist or homophobic or anything like that.

but the use of those words, even if he was younger or w/e, just really put me off to their music and to them in general. i dont think less of people that enjoy them, just stating my opinion.

25. clockwise

I completely understand and respect that.

lightning13 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.