Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Goodbye, Yellowcard (Encore Episode 133) Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

On this week’s episode of Encore I bring in special guest Craig Manning to discuss the final Yellowcard album and say goodbye to the band. Yellowcard have been a part of the formative years of our lives, and on September 30th they will release their last album. We discuss what the band’s meant to us, our favorites in their catalog, and then go track-by-track through the new album to talk about we like, don’t like, and how it stacks up with the rest of their discography. I think it’s safe to say that we’re going to miss this band quite a bit.

Hosts + More

Subscribe

You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Information about sponsoring our podcast can be found on this page, and if you become a member you get episodes a day early along with a bunch of other perks.

2. SweetThye

@sweetthye

Yellowcard will forever be more than just another pop-punk band for me. They were one of the greatest alternative rock bands ever, up there just the same with Anberlin and Jimmy Eat World. They will be deeply missed.

3. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Podcast makes me a little more excited for this album, but my expectations are low based on what i've heard.

Regardless... this was a good listen. I remember 15 years ago blasting yellowcard sitting in front of my computer and reading the lyrics line by line. They'll always be a special band to me.

Best album = WYTTSY
    Best song = Cut me, Mick

4. SmithBerryCrunch Sep 28, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 28, 2016)
    SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Can't think of anything that piano-driven they've done before? :)

Davjs and CMilliken like this.
  5. Hey, I defend Lift a Sail too!

sebastianrcgr and CMilliken like this.
  6. NewSurrender

Regular Prestigious

This band has been my favourite band since 2003, been a fan for 13 years. Pumped for the final tour and album

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Ha, I thought of this song after we were done recording.

8. Neon Light

rage and love

I won't listen to this until after the album is out but I'm excited, especially to hear Craig on the podcast.

Jason Tate and Craig Manning like this.
  9. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Best Song: Rough Draft.

hoodrat and earthlight like this.
  10. SayHello

Regular

I realize what they were trying on Lift A Sail, but I just don't think any of it is good. It's flat and stale. Love everything else in their discography. Very excited for the new album.

11. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

The first time I ever heard pop punk/pop rock music was when I was traveling cross country with my family. We were stopped watching a movie in a big mall in Kansas City, and Ocean Avenue came on...I think I was in 7th grade at the time. I said the lyrics over and over trying to remember them so I could figure out what song it was when I got to a computer. Ended up downloading October nights, and a couple of other songs by them. Then moved to Juliana Theory, and I think Taking Back Sunday, All American Rejects, etc. Anyway, I would've never discovered the genre if it weren't for them, or at least until later on in my life. They sparked my interest in music and i'll always be thankful for that.

12. fearlessdrummer

I know you guys were a bit iffy on Yellowcard adding "Empty Street" onto this album, but I'm ecstatic they did. Out of all the Big If demos, that song was my favorite. I actually wish they would do one more, high production music video, and choose that song for it. It's a very fitting track for the "end."

RoughLandingSully and Kerrbs like this.
  13. Craig Manning

I'm actually glad they included it. I think it fits very well.

fearlessdrummer likes this.
  14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Enjoyed this a lot - thanks, guys!

15. ARo24

Regular

Sad to see them go but they had a heck of a career.

16. inreverie386

Southern Air for the win.

17. Saephon

Regular

I still remember the first time I put in When You're Through Thinking, Say Yes. I'd been a huge Yellowcard fan up through Ocean Avenue, but then they fell off the radar for me. Nothing since then had captivated me the way Ocean did. Then I put that new CD into my car's stereo, and the opening track gave me chills. I knew something had clicked and they were back, and revitalized for many years to come.

I still don't know which of those two is my favorite record from them. One introduced me to the magic that is excellent pop-punk, and the other reassured me that that magic was not dead, and could be felt again even into my 20's.

18. sebastianrcgr

I'm actually curious as to whether this song has been played live before, would go nuts from it

19. church11

Yeah they've played it live several times I've seen them. I actually think I have a good quality video of them doing it from my old iPhone.

20. SoundInTheSignals

@Bake_Wear / soundinthesignals.com

Great podcast. Hate to see the band go, but I guess all good things come to an end. At the end of the day they had a solid career, good comeback, and wrote a lot of quality songs.

Side-note: Anyone else think Craig sounds a lot like Chris Conley from Saves The day?

21. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

7 minutes into the podcast I stopped the podcast to play "Sureshot" and was very disappointed to not see Underdog EP on Spotify.

Fuckkmerunning likes this.
  22. SweetThye

@sweetthye

Listening to the album now. It's a bit of a mixed bag for me.

23. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I really like the different guests you've been having lately @Jason Tate. It would be cool if you got @Craig Ismaili to do an episode about the new Jimmy Eat World album. His JEW setlist was on point earlier this year.

24. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Hey @Jason Tate and @Craig Manning, maybe you noticed already but the distorted vocal part in Got Yours actually is included with the lyrics in the liner notes!

Craig Manning likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

Haha, YES. Mine should be arriving on the doorstep any time now. I always get my mail late on Friday and it sucks.