Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Yahoo Confirms 500 Million User Accounts Breached

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Yahoo has confirmed a breach of over 500 million user accounts:

Based on the ongoing investigation, Yahoo believes that information associated with at least 500 million user accounts was stolen and the investigation has found no evidence that the state-sponsored actor is currently in Yahoo’s network. Yahoo is working closely with law enforcement on this matter.

2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Perhaps this would explain how my credit card got hacked multiple times this year...

3. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

500 million people use Yahoo? Wow

4. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Yahoo! have been around for a very long time. I don't know why people still use the "people still use this email service?" joke. It's just e-mail. It's not a social network. Also a lot of people don't find it convenient to switch email addresses for literally no reason other than to apparently "catch up with the times" or whatever. Again, it's not MySpace vs Facebook.

Gmail and Outlook have been hacked multiple times as well. So-called relevance doesn't mean anything when it comes to security.

Sorry, that always bothers me haha.

5. Will P

Rock Music from Ann Arbor

I agree with the moderator. The people that run the security of these emails are being quickly out-learned by the hackers and whatnot. One thing about technology, is that it changes so fast...so if you don't keep up with the pace, others will take advantage of your ignorance.

6. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

I use it for fantasy sports as it's still superior. Luckily I change my password often.

7. trevorshmevor Sep 22, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 22, 2016)
    Almost any variable of crap like "blah blah blah in the year 2016" bothers me haha, so I'm right there with you. I know it's not directly what you're saying, but you having a small somewhat related tangent hit that nerve hah.

lightning13 likes this.
  8. Will Montei

folks are always bother me about using pigeons, but i reckon pigeons don't get hacked

Raku likes this.
  9. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Guess I'm changing passwords on my email again.....

Chorus.fm: your go to source to know when places get hacked. -me.

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Hackers, like most other people, have forgotten about the existence of Hotmail (so I'm good)

11. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

It's not just about catching up with the times though, Gmail is more popular because it's pretty much better in every conceivable way. Syncs better with mobile devices than Yahoo ever does (and I've used at least 5 different devices with gmail and yahoo accounts), the website is much much smoother and it filters out spam better. I'm not defending the joke cause millions of people clearly do still use Yahoo, just pointing out that there's more to it than what's trendy.

PandaBear! likes this.
  12. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I obviously know all of this haha. But it pretty much begins and ends at sending and receiving for many people. And I imagine not every one of those 500 million accounts are regularly active anyhow.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. Tata Toothy

Regular

I bet half of that is just for fantasy sports.

St. Nate likes this.
  14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Can I blame two of my fantasy teams being 0-2 on the Yahoo Hack?

15. therookielot

Punk, Absolute Prestigious

I can't remember my password anyway

16. delvec19

Trusted

Yahoo was my very first email that I made in middle school around 1998. Still use it for non-important emails (Gmail for important ones). But yes still on Yahoo every day for Fantasy sports. Still the best platform around.

17. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Doesn't look like this is your issue:

18. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Hotmail hasn't been forgotten—it's been replaced (along with live.com and msn.com) and rolled up into outlook.com. Microsoft is probably just as targeted or more targeted than Yahoo.
    I agree completely. Yahoo sync is simply not good (unless things have changed recently). Gmail and outlook.com (Microsoft's free email, my preferred platform) sync perfectly across all platforms.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  19. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I never said Yahoo was good, heh. I go between Gmail and Outlook as well.