Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weezer’s ‘Pinkerton’ Goes Platinum

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

That's cool that it went platinum right at the 20 year mark.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

'Bout time

4. What timing! How crazy. I assume Blue, Green, and Make Believe are already Platinum? I'll go check.

Yup. Welcome to the pack, Pink!

5. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

Awesome, what an album

6. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

goddamn, 20 years?
    glad it's getting the greater respect/sales it deserves. still such an amazing album (despite the creepy asian fetishization River has going on in this record)

SaveTheEarth likes this.
  7. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Honestly surprised this wasn't platinum already

8. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Right on

9. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

This record is so goddamn good. Best Weezer record by a landslide (IMO).

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  10. DooDooBird

Trusted

Across The Sea. Love that song so much.

11. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

How Pinkerton hasn't sold at least 20 billion copies already is beyond me.

12. CMilliken

Trusted

A little surprised it took it this long. But still very cool.

13. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Just curious, do you guys ever consider an album "in season" based on its release date, or just the time you associate that album with? This is a total winter album for me, and I thought it came out closer to December

14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Amazing. One of the greatest albums of all time. So well-deserved. And on the heels of the 20-year anniversary and the release of the band's best album since 1996, no less.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  15. Fox83

Trusted

I feel like I've encountered one million people that claim it's a classic album, so I can't figure out how it took 20 years...

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  16. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Make Believe sold more than Pinkerton? This is why Trump might be president.

17. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

"Beverly Hills" was absolutely massive, plus "Perfect Situation" and "We Are All On Drugs" each got hefty rotation on alternative stations at a time when CDs were still things people bought. Not surprised it went platinum that same year.

18. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yeah "Beverly Hills" was pretty ubiquitous for awhile. Make Believe is the most I ever recall hearing Weezer on the radio or seeing their songs featured on TV shows and stuff. Not at all surprised that one is platinum.

19. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

At the Weezer show this summer, the drunk guys in front of us..... 3/4 of the way thru the show, AFTER they played 'Beverly Hills' afew songs ago.... One of them yells 'Play Beverly Hills!'

The drunk guys drunk friend slaps him on the arm, and says 'Dude... they played that one already'.

My girls laughed, and thought these guys 'MADE the show'. I just loved seeing them.

No. Title Length
    1. "Tired of Sex" 3:01
    2. "Getchoo" 2:52
    3. "No Other One" 3:01
    4. "Why Bother?" 2:08
    5. "Across the Sea" 4:32
    6. "The Good Life" 4:17
    7. "El Scorcho" 4:03
    8. "Pink Triangle" 3:58
    9. "Falling for You" 3:47
    10. "Butterfly" 2:53

Favorites in order:

Pink Triangle, the good life, el scorcho. Gotta listen again. Its been a while.

20. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

21. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

This album is great. One of the albums that got me into emo. The crazy part is the b sides to this album are as good, if not better than a lot of the album tracks.

22. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Blue and Green did it for me, Those just 'did it'.

Photograph has a sentimental story:

Theres an elementary school teacher in my town. His first year, he was green... he was new. This was his first 'job', and he had my oldest daughter. He was very tech savvy, and at the end of the year, he made a DVD with snippets of songs, and pictures, videos, etc... of the whole year - very classy. very wwell done. He was a big big weezer fanatic, so of course - the end song of the DVD?

Photograph.

2 years later, my middle daughter got him as a teacher.... and 3 years later, my youngest daughter had him. They all got DVDs at the end of the year, and we all know his favorite band.

Final part: I may have it wrong, but he was in a band called Beezer that did cover songs of Weezer dressed in bee outfits. :)

23. Schmohawk

Eat Snickers, leave garbage.

Geez. I remember the day this came out back in '96. I was really looking forward to it, and headed over to the music store to pick up the CD, and while I remember there being very little buzz for this album leading up to its release ("El Scorcho" was just relegated to barely any radio play and very minor late night MTV rotation), I was shocked when it looked like not one copy had been sold at all on its release day. The next day when I was showing some friends the CD, not one had any idea a new Weezer album was even out, and these were all people who loved the Blue Album. I just figured for whatever reason, it wasn't landing, the record label wasn't gonna push it, and Weezer's major success would likely end with one album.

If you had told me back then the unusual path this record would take to becoming a beloved modern classic, I never would've believed it, but I'm sure glad it did. It certainly deserves it.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  24. AshlandATeam

Trusted

In the pre-Internet days (at least where I lived), I totally missed that this came out. The Blue album is what made me realize I love music - I was 10 when it came out, and stole my brother's cassette tape of it before buying the cd later on.

It was 1998 before I knew a second Weezer album was out. And when I saw it there for like $18.99 or whatever in a Sam Goody while I was on a road trip with the school band, I spent all the lunch money my parents had given me for the trip. I was hungry, but I didn't care at all - listening to a new (to me) Weezer album I didn't know existed was just the best thing ever.

It's almost embarrassing how well I related to the angsty teenage 'why don't girls like me' lyrics of this for the entirety of high school and most of college. And I can't listen to this the same way as an adult (especially 'Across the Sea' and 'Butterfly,' which are downright creepy). But it perfectly captures the negative feelings I had as a teenager, and it's like looking in a mirror of my youth every time I listen to it.

This will never not be an important record for me. Glad it went platinum!

25. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Describe Weezer.... is it 'Nerd Rock'?