Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Halsey: Hey Buzzfeed, ‘Sorry I’m Not Gay Enough for You’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Hilary Hughes, writing at MTV, details Halsey’s tweet storm this weekend over a Buzzfeed article:

The more popular she becomes, the straighter she presents, so BuzzFeed says — and she has a big problem with that. She has since deleted her tweets, but went in before doing so: “tiresome analysis of my 1 year in the public eye and the ignorance of 8+ years of sexual discovery to determine if I’m truly queer. [And it] is part of a mentality so engrained in the erasure of bisexual ‘credibility’ even within the lgbt community.”

2. transrebel59

Regular

I love her music and support her in this situation. But it's really made me uncomfortable that she made out with a 15 year old on stage.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I like how MTV says how Halsey was "pissed" then shows that she gave a well thought-out, diplomatic response.

4. Turkeylegz

Trusted

That's pretty alarming. I don't like that one bit.

5. I'm not a Halsey fan, but there is 100% a stigma towards bisexuality even within the LGBTQ+ community, so this was really powerful to read.

I never heard about her making out with a minor onstage, but if true, that's pretty gross

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  6. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

It's mentioned in the buzzfeed article that's being discussed. I read it after the MTV one.

Here's a tweet about it

The buzzfeed post is really bad. And the way it ends is a massive contradiction to the way the rest of the piece is written. It's really uncomfortable to read.

Turkeylegz and Aaron Mook like this.
  7. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

that buzzfeed article was strange - seemed like it addressed that she wasn't queer enough but then said that she doesn't have to necessarily fight heteronormativity.

despite all of that, her kissing an underage girl is extremely alarming and disgusting.

8. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

Buzzfeed itself is a pretty bad joke.

FreshPot and Schooner like this.
  9. Will Montei

a bad joke that i enjoy indulging in

10. Schooner

Trusted

I used to enjoy the odd Buzzfeed quiz a few years ago. But my god that site got bad quick

11. dorfmac Sep 19, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 19, 2016)
    dorfmac

Trusted

Sounds like a classic frat bro explanation - "I asked her if she was single, she didn't say no and kissed me back, so it must be cool!" And not knowing someone's age doesn't absolve anyone of their responsibility. And even if she did ask, this is someone on stage in front of an entire crowd - not a situation where it would be easy to say no thanks. If this happened at a pop-punk show, everyone would be talking about how the whole genre is infected and needs to die. Regardless of the perpetrator, it definitely seems like a bad or predatory thing.

I had no idea about any of this before, or even who this person was outside of knowing it was the name of a pop artist, and felt bad when I read the article. I'm not sure how to put this in the right words, but hearing about this stage event happening, in a way, lessened the sympathy the article imparted.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  12. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

True, I didn't think of it that way.

13. jellyfishfossil

Regular

I've always been confused why gay people are expected to "act gay"? What exactly is "acting gay"?

Who you're attracted to doesn't determine your social abilities. I know gay people who are more masculine than me, who can nerd out over things more than me, who can preach to a youth group better than me, etc. so I'm clueless as to where this expected stereotype comes from.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  14. _unproductive

Regular

erasure of bisexuality within the LGBTQ community is real.. i can't even tell you how uncomfortable it makes me to be at a gay bar and being seen as an intruder... most of the time I just get the good old "you're just gay but too afraid to say you are gay"

15. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Fuck erasure.

16. dorfmac

Trusted