Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Geoff Rickly Defends G.L.O.S.S.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

mercury likes this.
  2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

good, interesting, nuanced response

3. entity13

Dumb move for G.L.O.S.S. Never heard of them until they made a fuss about not signing to Epitaph, and never will hear of them again. I mean right on for staying a gutter punk and never making any money. Could have had a cool opportunity to travel around and see places you might not ever go....because why....oh your too punk.....LOL

Davjs likes this.
  4. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

if that's true, then you probably haven't been paying attention

5. aniafc

Trusted

It's not that they declined the deal, it's that they made all of the details so public and were basically trying to brag about how they declined it and how that should make them more cool.

devenstonow and I Am Mick like this.
  6. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I don't think cool was the point. They had ethical concerns with signing on with a major label, and I think the "details" they included in the post was important to their point. I don't know where you're reading into this that it was about being cool. I know I'm not in a position to and nor would I want to turn down a $50k record deal, but if it's not something they feel comfortable with, they have the right to talk about it, if not at least because it encourages discussion on the ethics of signing with a major label.

7. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I don't think the post by Sadie was really that bad. Didn't really say anything negative about Epitaph. Though isn't staying unsigned example enough? Don't really see making it public as necessary but I guess their fans will be happy (assuming they also prefer the band to stay independent)

8. Was it really "so public" or bragging? Wasn't it on a private Instagram feed?

9. WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

Uhhhh.....yeah....it's called sticking to your ideals. Something you apparently know nothing about.

10. WetwithSharp Sep 13, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 14, 2016)
    WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

I mean, whether they accepted or declined the deal you might've heard about it either way. Sooooo, you just have an issue because of the particular choice they made.

Plus being open about it might give other bands in similar situations strength to do the same. If that happens then...who know,s maybe in the future(like GLOSS mentioned), "What I’m trying to say is that we don’t have to jump into their world, we can create a new one."

11. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

also a public post on one of the member's personal facebook pages. was shared around a ton
    not agreeing with the other poster, just stating facts, hah

12. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

He's right about the humble brag part, but I mean w/e floats ur boat, if someone offered me 50k to put out a record I'd sure as shit tell people about it lol

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  13. aniafc

Trusted

I thought it was public? I don't know, I could be wrong. But, it just struck me as a litte bit of bragging about them getting the offer and declining it.

They have the right to make that choice, of course, and I don't think they made the /wrong/ choice (that's not for me to decide). It just came off weird to me, is all.

14. jba

No, it was private. Sadie deleted her Instagram because she got a ton of new followers and unwanted attention from the screenshots that were posted. My friend talked to her about it yesterday.

15. The obsession over "is this punk or not" is stupid as fuck and telling of how shitty this culture is. The band didn't want to sign to Epitaph records, and like it said it Sadie's PRIVATE post, she only responded because people started asking. I wish people would fixate more on the fact that Sadie's post was a call to start a new culture that works on the terms of independent bands like GLOSS and not for corporate interest, and not fixate on whether or not that post rings in line with some ancient ethos that basically translates to how little you care about something.

Owlex likes this.
  16. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Being on a major label is probably a pretty huge commitment, and you're committed to do a lot of stuff that doesn't appeal to a lot of people, so turning it down isn't anything crazy if that's not your cup of tea

17. devenstonow

Noobie

FWIW Brett G retweeted Geoff's post.

coleslawed likes this.
  18. _unproductive

Regular

good response from Geoff

also: completely forgot about the Daitro bs with Thursday

19. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

it was a private post, that someone else shared publicly.

20. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

Geoff summed up my thoughts on this matter perfectly.

21. Raj710

Jesus Christ a 50k record deal? Split between what I'm assuming is 4-5 people? No wonder they turned it down.

Is that really the norm for record contracts these days?

22. WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

Exactly! This is what I was trying to say. Instead people are totally focusing on the wrong aspect of it.....rather than the *why* they did it.

23. aniafc

Trusted

They also had a 50/50 profit share on the table.

24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

fine statement. :heart: G.L.O.S.S.