Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Early Reviews for AirPods Seem Pretty Impressive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Early reviews for the new Apple AirPods seem to be pretty good. Here’s Susie Ochs, from Macworld:

Not only did I dance, I headbanged. I shook my head side to side, I tossed my hair, I jogged in place, and I looked silly doing all of it. The AirPods stayed put, and they stayed loud. The music (more Sia, naturally) sounded full and lush and I couldn’t hear a single word anyone around me was saying, as if I was completely sealed off in a bubble of rock and roll. Pretty impressive.

My dream has always been to walk around and talk to my computer like Ender, so I’m probably going to give these a shot.1 For those interested in being able to charge your phone and listen to audio with a cord at the same time, it looks like Belkin has released a $40 “audio + charge” dongle, and Apple’s own dock comes with a 3.5mm headphone jack on it. I charge my iPhone in an Elevation dock so I’ve never really charged my phone and listened via headphones with a cord anyway, but, it does look like there’s a couple solutions here.

1. I’ll write something up about what I think, in October, on how they work for music and podcast listening.

2. I'm very impressed by the technology in these things - I just think they will look really stupid on me in public

3. keremyihbis

This is me now.

"Solutions" implies "problems". So apple releases a product with problems from the get go and everyone is fine with it. I'll probably still buy it because I've had an android for 2 years and I hate it. I do prefer apple. But apple clearly doesn't care about their customers.

4. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

Do the AirPods have a microphone built in?

5. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

the "problem" was battery life in the phone, and they "solved" it by removing the headphone jack.

fenway89 likes this.
  6. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

FB_IMG_1473426695684.jpg

7. keremyihbis

This is me now.

And apparently adding a bigger problem for some people.

8. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I believe each pod has a microphone for Siri and phone calls.

heymattrick likes this.
  9. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I never charge and listen at the same time. I don't understand that complaint.

10. Michael Schmidt

I think some people are stuck or choosing a certain way to go about things, and have been less interested in updating the way they do things. The easiest solution is to get in the habit of regularly charging your phone at night or at work. If you do that and get some type of Bluetooth functionality in your car (if you drive) you really should not be too upset or impacted by this change.

11. jellyfishfossil

Regular

I keep reading comments on Facebook about how Apple is screwing over fans and how a switch to Samsung is easy now. lol

People truly do not spend time looking into what capabilities the new iPhone and it's accessories still have. I also feel like i'm one of the few who listens to my music through Bluetooth in my car as it charges via USB.

dylan likes this.
  12. Michael Schmidt

I do the same thing, but most days I don't need to charge in the car because I am at work all day and not on my phone. My heavy phone using is at home, so most days I can charge overnight and do music/podcasts via Bluetooth. Even taking a phone call or two plus some texts, snaps, browsing at lunch, and you are still good on battery when you get home.

13. Apple is doing whatever they can to make fans feel better about the removal of the headphone jack. They're shipping headphones that work with it and a dongle. I don't see the problem. It would be one of they didn't include those things, but they are. So I don't understand it

fenway89 likes this.
  14. Michael Schmidt

Fear of change brother. That's kind of what it boils down to. I'm with you.

rxbandit89 and Christian Romero like this.
  15. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Wait, so does the new iphone NOT come with these? They come with the normal ones and an adapter?

16. schackbr

Regular

i can't buy these. only because i will lose them in less than 8 hours.

17. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

Yeah, looks like it doesn't come with airpods.

I don't really dislike these but like many Apple products I can't really justify that price point for what I'd be getting from it. Most I'd be willing to spend on these would be like $60-70 haha. Oh well

18. HalfHearted

Regular

From what I read yesterday, the airpods are an additional $140.00.

19. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

I think I have maybe two or three times in the 4+ years I've had an iPhone. I can find an alternative!

theredline likes this.
  20. Michael Schmidt

You get the phone, the normal earpods with a lighting chord, and lightning to 3.5mm converter, the lightning USB cable, and the USB power adapter for the wall. The AirPods are a separate product available at the end of next month.

21. Solutions implies stop gap. Technology moves forward, you make adjustments in the small period between adoption and wide use. It's been how it's been forever. I remember when computers didn't have USB drives and people carried around binders of floppy discs.

22. heymattrick likes this.
  23. remember when people were complaining about the computers not having disc drives and then people realized they don't really use disc drives anymore

24. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

HalfHearted likes this.