Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Announces iPhone 7 and AirPods

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Apple has announced the iPhone 7. It does not contain a headphone jack, instead including lightning headphones in the box, and an adapter for your old headphones. The adapter is also available separately for $9. Apple has also announced their new wireless headphone solution, dubbed “AirPods.” Those will be available in October and cost $159.

The pitch was actually pretty simple: wireless is better. The devil will be in the details of implementation, but they touted a simple pairing method that looks impressive. If I had to guess, I’d say that as battery life in wireless headphones improves, and as they become more popular and costs drop, wireless will be ubiquitous. Being a 90’s kid will be talking about how you used to have a wire running from your phone to your head all the time. It’s going to be an interesting transition to watch.

2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Okay, my immediate reaction was kind of bummed. I love my Bose Bluetooth headphones and the battery life is incredible, I get 10 hours or something like that and I just listened to them ALL Day and I'm over 50 percent. Here's my issue I listen to music in the car all of the time but if its as simple as slapping an adaptor on my AUX cable in the car then I am down

3. devenstonow

Noobie

This is fairly problematic IMO. The Techcrunch article on it is pretty apt IMO
    Courage.

There's a reason 3.5mm is still so omnipresent. This is a powermove by Apple to shut down peripherals without their permission. It costs 4$ per device to sell something that officially has Apple's "permission" (ie. using the lightning port and MAYBE Bluetooth-not sure on that one). Square (and other devices) get around it by using the headphone jack. I have no idea if there will be some sort of "verification gate" at the lightning converter; I'd assume there will be and this damages that.

4. noKings

Regular

If they could charge wirelessly, that'd be the best. Have a charger sitting around your house or charge wirelessly while you charge your phone. That probably isn't possible, but maybe that's the future?

Yooooo stereo speakers too.

5. heymattrick

Sending my love

Good that they're including both the lightning headphones AND the adapter in the box.

Those AirPods are nuts...I'm not really interested, I think they look weird and I would for sure lose them. But cool that they don't require BT pairing. Apple earbuds are one of the only earbuds I've ever worn that don't constantly fall out of my ear, but I still don't think I would have success with the AirPods.

I love my wireless Beats for listening to music but I'm on the phone a lot of work so I need the Apple earbuds with the microphone.

6. jorbjorb

7 rings

that would suck to have to carry the adapter around. Kinda forces you to use the lightning headphones i guess.

7. heymattrick

Sending my love

I would just keep it attached to the end of my 3.5mm headphones all the time.

8. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I like the idea of the airpods but that shape doesn't seem to sit in my ear very well. I still like the old ones

9. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Same, like, it's not the most PG explanation ha, but my earholes are kinda small for the apple earbuds.

10. Schooner

Trusted

I was totally against the no 3.5jack. But damn if they haven't solved it immediately but including the adapted and lighting headphones. I have no dramas now. Unless of course the adapter is loose in its connection and always falls out of the headphones like my electronic drum ones.

If only the old iPhone charger to lighting charger hole came with an adapter a few years ago. That was a pain buying new ones that didn't work

Those airpods are mighty expensive!

Chris Prindle likes this.
  11. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I feel like airpods are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I have never, in my entire life, said, 'oh man, I would love it if these headphones needed to be charged. This wire is just such a burden!' Even if they work perfectly, I'm not sure how they're in any way better than what we already have.

Oh well. The world keeps turning I suppose.

12. Jason Tate Sep 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 7, 2016)
    There's an adapter in the box. All the peripherals will still work. From Square:
    I reached out to Square spokeswoman Semonti Stephens, who said the Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter (like the one Apple is including in the iPhone 7 box when it ships Sept. 16) will work with Square’s reader. But it’s unclear how many people will actually need to use an adapter. The Venn diagram of business owners that don’t support chip cards—which Square accepts with a separate, wireless card reader that doesn’t use the headphone jack—and iPhone 7 buyers is probably pretty small.

13. Ever used wireless headphones? The moment you don't have a cord running to your pocket and making your head literally attached to your leg is a light bulb moment.

14. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I never have.

I've also never thought it was a big deal. I'm listening to headphones right now - the cord is like 4 feet long. I'm not tall enough for that to be any sort of issue. Maybe if I was taller I'd see it differently? I dunno. It's just literally never been a thought that crossed my mind.

15. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I usually get annoyed with apple "forcing" things but it was pretty easy to get me on board with this. Dual charging and listening would still be problematic though? That aside, I think the airpods look really cool and like Jason said, I had no problem whatsoever with a cord, but wireless is quite nifty.

16. stahlneckr

Newbie Supporter

As long as you don't need to charge.

17. aniafc

Trusted

Yep. When I worked my last food job, I was like crouching and cleaning out the bottom of this fryer (it had oil in it at the time), and my headphones were in. I went to stand up and wouldn't you know that my knee catches my headphones, yanks them out of my ear, and dropping into the oil. Super bummed that day.

I see your point in that you like older technology, but to say they're a solution to a problem that doesn't exist is a little silly.

18. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I get the cord to my headphones stuck on something (usually a door knob or handle) at least a few times a week. Not too long ago I actually ripped the cord right out of one my Earpods (the ear part stayed in my ear, surprisingly enough).

But to be fair, the AirPods aren't really a solution to wired headphones, they're a (proposed) solution to shitty wireless headphones. Wireless headphones have been around for a few decades; I remember having some that used IR back in the 90's and as soon as Bluetooth became a thing there were wireless headphones everywhere. But Bluetooth is a terrible technology for audio, it has connectivity issues constantly and the sound quality isn't that great. If these work as advertised, and the sound quality is good enough, that would be fantastic.

19. Schooner

Trusted

Yeah my Bluetooth headphones are amazing at the gym. Having no cord to hit with my hand off the treadmill or restrict my distance on it is great. I do love wired ones for on the go when I don't need to worry about "are my Bluetooth ones charged?!?!"

I can't work out if the airbuds are connected to each other like normal Bluetooth ones? My picture isn't great. Cause if they're separate entities I will loose them from each other by day2

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. Schooner

Trusted

I did the same. Ripped mine out of the bud on my knee bending over last week. Bud stayed in ear

21. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I don't even like older technology. I've just never had an issue with the cord. Apparently other people have - good to know.

I will say that I'll forget to plug these things in 40 times before it becomes a habit. And there will absolutely be a trip where I remember the headphones and not the charger, because I'm an idiot. So that'll be fun.

Schooner and aniafc like this.
  22. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

The issue I have with the wireless airpods is that its another thing that always needs to be charged. Really two things if you count the case. It seems like more of a pain in the ass than a convenience to me.

Schooner likes this.
  23. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

I'm sure it won't take way too long for other companies like JBL or Bose to come out with wireless sport earphones(like they already make fairly well) that work like the airpods do; so for me when I go running I'm sure those air pods would jiggle right out.

24. transrebel59

Regular

Can somebody try to sell me on Apple products? I've never really understood it.

25. aniafc

Trusted

Lmao it's going to happen to all of us. Growing pains