Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Republic of Wolves – “Northern Orthodox” (Song Premiere)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Republic of Wolves have been teasing new music over the past week and today we’re excited to bring you a brand new song from the band called “Northern Orthodox.” You can stream that below. The band has described their new music as trying to revisit a darker and heavier sound and explore that side of their influences. Mason described the song by saying:

“Northern Orthodox” is the eighth chapter of a story that will hopefully be told in full on our upcoming full-length album. It’s also our first song whose musical composition was inspired entirely by a dream.

The song was mixed by Dan Gluszak (ex-Envy On The Coast, Heavy English).

2. Me likee. The singer gives off some awesome Pedro the Lion-vibes

3. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Love this!

4. SayHello

Regular

This is ridiculously good.

5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I remember dismissing No Matter How Narrow, for no specific reason. I'm 4 songs deep and wow- I was missing out. Pretty solid record.

6. Kmil

Trusted

Man, this is so good, surpassed my expectations

7. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Didn't like their last album and bummed the better singer left. This isn't bad but it sounds like the singer has been listening to a lot of Dikembe.

8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Did not know the singer left, that sucks. Who took over? Was it an existing member?

9. atlastitsok

Regular

They used to have Greg delarocca and mason maggio both doing vocal- Greg focuses on his band American gospel now I believe

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Gotcha so it's just Mason now?

11. Kyle1130

I like it alot. I've loved all of their CDs for real. This one sounds heavier which is cool with me.

12. inagreendase

This seems like kind of a roundabout way to say their heavy Brand New influence is back.

13. atlastitsok

Regular

As far as I know he's the only one singing now. Billy Dupree put out an album of his own a few years back (under the year fifteen) but I don't think he's been featured on any trow songs

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  14. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

As much as I loved NMHN, this is a cool song. I've never been as much into their heavier material tho. This kinda sounds like it draws some influence from METN, some southern rock vibes in here, as well as the obvious brand new influence. I'm sure this album is gonna be great

15. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

These guys have yet to disappoint. Their whole body of work is fantastic and I'm excited to hear more.

AngryMan and iam1bearcat like this.
  16. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Siiiiick

17. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

The song is awesome, I really need a new TROW album in my life.

AngryMan and fenway89 like this.
  18. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Who even needs Brand New at this point!?

19. iam1bearcat

i'm writing a book, leave me alone.

such a fantastic band.

interesting that they're revisiting a "darker sound" when they specifically went the opposite direction on No Matter How Narrow because Varuna wore them out with how heavy / dark / intricate it was.

20. Saephon

Regular

I thought this band was on the verge of breaking up for some reason. And I kind of stopped paying attention as their material got "softer", but this is absolutely a return to what made me love them in the first place. I loved His Old Branches and Varuna, so this is probably going to be another winner in my book.

21. SoundInTheSignals

@Bake_Wear / soundinthesignals.com

Solid song. This band deserves to be bigger with the amount of great music they've written over the years.

AngryMan likes this.
  22. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

These guys have stood the test of time.

AngryMan likes this.
  23. AngryMan

Regular

Maybe they'll tour this record now that they're (I think) done with school? They're ready to blow up.

fenway89 likes this.
  24. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

It's really good! I didn't get into all of their songs in the past, I liked Varuna as this is the record that I gave another chance like not too long ago, but maybe I should give them some more shots.

25. jco3 Sep 6, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 6, 2016)
    jco3

Regular

Really cool song. Enjoy this and the production a lot.

The beginning gave me a bit of a Metallica's "Welcome Home" - Which also reminds me of Paradise Lost.