Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Samsung Recalls Galaxy Note 7

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ina Fried, writing for Recode, on Samsung’s recall of the Galaxy Note 7:

Samsung said Friday that it will replace all of the Galaxy Note 7 “phablets” it has sold amid reports that some batteries on the phones have exploded.

In what could be the biggest smartphone recall ever, Samsung said it will replace all devices in the coming weeks. The company said it has confirmed an issue with the battery cells used in the phone and has halted sales globally.

Ouch.

2. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Read this earlier and I couldn't believe it such a massive blow that's going to cost them loads.

Happy to be an Apple fanboy right now

3. Tylar

What a disaster

4. Hunter Norman

Regular

Sucks. I love mine and haven't had any issues, but this is my 6th Samsung phone. I hate to see this happen after being such an anticipated device.

5. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

Ouch indeed.

6. Makes me laugh especially after seeing a bunch of tech companies praise the phone. Happy to be an apple fanboy

7. Hunter Norman

Regular

I mean, the phone is phenomenal and, as usual, ahead of the game in a lot of ways. The battery, as a component, and it's resources had some issues and it's obviously causing some insurmountable damage for the company, which sucks, but at least they are making good on it with a quick recall process. The phone itself is very praiseworthy. This, too, is coming from someone whose daily life operates on a samsung phone alongside a work iPhone, and all of my daily work is done 50/50 on Apple and non-Apple products.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  8. zporter92

Regular

How does an issue like that make it through the entire development process?

9. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

My guess is they were busy supeing everything up, took longer with that than they expected and had a smaller than usual window of time to test the devices so they didn't try the kind of strenuous tests a device would need to go through to simulate long term charging habits.

Ironically I switched to an iPhone after my Galaxy S6's battery shit the bed before it was even a year old. I think the fast charge-- which works really well normally by the way -- puts too much strain on the battery for long term use.

10. jeff.dart

Regular

i don't know about that. the battery i use on my s5 (which uses fast charge) is good 27 months out now. i think their software is just wasteful and cluttered.

11. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

They use different batteries and fast charge is different for the S5 and S6 (though not by much). The S5 essentially had a stronger battery.

12. Schooner

Trusted

Gee what are all those people that abuse iPhones on any article on them gonna do now?

13. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

And Samsung fans were laughing at Apple when the iPhone 6 Plus was bending... I prefer slightly bending phones than exploding batteries.

Schooner, aniafc and Contender like this.
  14. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I don't know. I used a Galaxy S-something for a year and it was a pile of shit. Music wouldn't play, battery sucked, messages wouldn't come through. I felt like the whole "you can customize everything" was more annoying than cool.

I finally lost it and Sprint credited us for the phones ($900) and sent us two new iPhones. Best decision I ever made.

15. jeff.dart

Regular

Definitely heard the battery life was pretty shit on the s6, and yeah you're right it uses quick charge 2.0, but I think a lot of phones do that too. Not sure why it had such problems

16. transrebel59

Regular

Will continue to hate on Apple since I don't have a Samsung phone.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  17. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

My s6 edge plus has been the best phone I've had. Too bad. Good they are fixing the issue.

Also proudly being a fanboy of anything makes me gag a little

Turkeylegz and slimfenix182 like this.
  18. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Not only are Samsung batteries terrible at longevity in general, they also try to kill you apparently.

I've never had an issue with HTC and they continue to be my preferential android device brand.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  19. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I loved my HTCs. Their low end phones are abysmal though and their reputation suffers because of it.

Raj710 and InfiniteArms like this.
  20. Raj710

Ill never understand why people on android just dont use Nexus.

21. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Why was this article even posted? The pro Apple agenda on this site sometimes smdh

22. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I was actually just about to switch to that, glad I didn't pull the trigger yet haha. Definitely gonna wait.

23. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I don't think posting a link to a product recall is inherently "pro Apple," especially for a device with such a large user base. Seems more like an FYI, to me.

Carmensaopaulo, Robk and sean_rugy like this.
  24. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Fwiw I was joking. I use to have an S3 and I can agree that Samsung phones are battery hogs bloated with useless Samsung apps and frivolous features. It was only a matter of time before exploding batteries were added to the list of features.

25. ZeoVGM Sep 3, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 25, 2016)
    ZeoVGM

Regular

Pretty terrible thing to let slip through testing. Though it does seem like an incredibly tiny issue that impacted an insanely small number of phones. They're handling it really well considering this could have been a much bigger disaster if they let it go on.

So it sucks but the Note7 is fucking amazing. Best phone I've ever owned. Definitely swapping it out for a new one next week. I honestly couldn't imagine owning a non-Note at this point, especially with how stagnant and boring the competition has become.

Also, really weird to see Apple fanboys in here admitting to literally "laughing" at this. Yes, it's hilarious that some people might own a phone that could explode and hurt them. Very funny.

fearlessdrummer and theagentcoma like this.