Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mutemath Announce ‘Changes’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Mutemath will release Changes, a reimagined version of the last album, Vitals, on September 23rd. Pre-orders are now up and a stream of the title track can be found on Spotify.

2. Will Montei

Wasn't as big into Vitals as I was Odd Soul, but I enjoyed "Changes." I'm interested in seeing how they transform the album.

Side Note: I feel like these guys' musicality is underrated. I've seen them live several times and they put on such a wild, creative set. It's very clear they've actually been trained and treat music as a craft.

coleslawed and carlosonthedrums like this.
  3. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

From the first time I saw them live, they immediately became one of my favorite live acts of all time. The level of thought they put into everything supplementary to the music is unbelievable. I know it's a little stupid to say it because any exposure is great, but I always get a bit upset when i see them opening up for other bands because they deserve to always headline. Also, I would never wanna go on after MuteMath.

Will Montei and DallasSF like this.
  4. I've never gotten into Mutemath, any suggestions on where to start?

5. jco3

Regular

With mutemath, try starting from the beginning then move on from there. So, maybe try starting with their Reset EP from 2004 then go chronologically from there.

DejaMoi likes this.
  6. Will Montei

I have a buddy who saw them with Twenty-One Pilots. Said that Twenty-One Pilots was far and away the better act, and the Mutemath was pretty lame. Sounded strange to me.

7. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Get a new buddy.

This song was good. Very excited to see how these verisons of these songs sound as well as how the new track listing does. I adore Vitals and is my favorite of theirs. Can't wait for this then.

Will Montei likes this.
  8. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

"Vitals" is great so definitely looking forward to these remixes. Heard a clip of the 'Light Up' remix on Twitter earlier and it was sweet.

9. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Yeahhhh your buddy is probably wrong. It's pretty much unanimous from anyone who has seen Mutemath live that they are phenomenal. That's not to say that Twenty-One Pilots weren't great, but to say Mutemath was boring shows poor judgement. Haha.

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

While I heard that MM were very well received by the fans on that tour, I wouldn't be surprised if most people who attended those shows liked TOP better simply due to their familiarity with them. But MuteMath is one of those rare bands where you can bring someone who's never seen them to a show and feel 99% confident they'll come away a fan, so I too find it really off that someone would write them off as being lame. Darren King alone is worth the price of admission haha.

coleslawed likes this.
  11. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

I love Mutemath and saw them four times with TOP this summer, and I have to say, their sound mixing was surprisingly poor (2 out of the 4 shows I went to, the mix was very muddy and hard to make out) and I think for only playing 7 songs, their setlist was a little weak. I had seen Mutemath twice prior to this summer as well.

12. thebig100

I think their more recent shows haven't been as energetic as they used to be. I saw them once in 2007 and again in 2009 and they were absolutely incredible. But more recently I saw them in 2015 at the Double Door, and again at Lolla, which are as opposite as you can get as far as venue sizes, and I was underwhelmed both times.

13. Lucas27

Trusted

When MuteMath opened for TOP I thought they were awesome. But my friends (including two who love MuteMath) all thought they were weak. I don't know why it bugged me but it did. I thought they were objectively great in every respect.

14. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Agree with you on your last point. They seem to fall into the tragic category of being so much better live than they are on record.

15. polyfilla

who can never be sure

Can't stop spinning the new track. Vitals was one of my favorites of 2015 - stoked to hear it reimagined.

Side note: Paul remixed TOP's "Stressed Out" and it's....quite good.

16. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Darren King's remixes are usually quality, too. I'm not too into remixes, but I'll always check out his.