Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Relient K on Your Favorite Band Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. DearCory

Regular

The House of Heroes podcast was KILLER. The Relient K one is really awkward. The YFB people did great, but Matt and Matt were just very odd with their answers throughout. They talk about all the members coming and going, but never once mention Dave (who is back with them, playing on the tour and did some drums on AFF). And the thing about Hoopes's daughter is just weird AF. Like why would you even think to bring it up? She's in elementary school... either it was an accident or there's more to it than just wetting herself, and why would you bring it up for the "world" to hear in such a manner.

3. Will Montei

Maybe I'm awkward, but I didn't find this interview particularly awkward.

4. DearCory

Regular

The last few answers didn't come off as odd to you?

5. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Will be checking this out.

6. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

I dunno, I think the Matts are just weird guys. I feel like they YFB guys don't ask the best questions, or like they start gushing too much to get a really good answer.

7. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

They're always a little awkward, just kinda their style I think. Not mentioning Dave at all while go in depth about their past members was really weird though.

8. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

I think they didn't mention Dave because they were referring to what the band has been on paper, and Dave likely wasn't part of their LLC, although it still is odd.

9. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Literally every other person they mentioned, the other drummers, John and Jon, etc. also wasn't part of the LLC though.

10. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

You're not wrong - it was pretty strange when they described the band as "just Matt and I" around the time of Mmhmm/Brian leaving given Dave's contributions and importance to that album.

11. latortuga

Regular

I couldn't even get through this interview. I'm a huge Relient K fan since the early days and was so excited to listen to this but the hosts were just terrible. The reason it sounds like "Matt and Matt are awkward" is because the hosts don't set them up! "So when you were working on X, were you feeling like this specific scenario that I dreamt up in my head?" "Well no, no we weren't". That isn't Matt being awkward, it's the host not knowing how to ask an open-ended question that will elicit a thoughtful response and then shutting up. Hosts interrupting each other, interrupting the guests? GTFO

I know this is a relatively new podcast but it's 2016, I don't expect every podcast to have the production quality of Radiolab but I do expect some kind of structure. Walking into an interview with the plan of "let's just gush over them and hopefully it will be good" doesn't even REMOTELY cut it.

chhholly123 and Will Montei like this.
  12. Will Montei

Pretty perfect summary of the scenario. It's interesting to compare the responses in this interview versus the interview on Chorus. Big difference in quality.

latortuga likes this.
  13. Besides the somewhat terrible Skype audio I enjoyed this podcasts very much! Relient K is my favorite band after all. :-)