Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

I’d Get to the Top of the Mountain if It Would Just Stop Fucking Growing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Dia Frampton, writing on Medium:

It has been five years since my last album came out. A lot can happen in a half a decade. Trust me.

I don’t even know where to begin, or what exactly I’m trying to say. But I do know that I want to at least say: I’m still here.

A year shy of thirty, I feel like I might as well be fifty when it comes to women in the music industry. If we’re not in our teens or early twenties, we’re pushed aside and put on the shelf.

I’ve tried to reach “success” all my life, but now, I really don’t know exactly what “success” means.

2. Thursdaysox

We know it from the silence

Nice article, but I don't really have too much sympathy. She has had a far better run than millions of other musicians with the same passion, I personally am jealous honestly.

Serenity Now likes this.
  3. somethingliketj

And that's why you always leave a note.

This article really hit home. I've always said the only thing harder than chasing a dream is giving up on one.

4. miseryindex

yeah i mean, i get what she is saying. but no one thinks the music industry is easy or has longevity. i could think of much worse things than being recognized. it just means you had an impact on their life & should make you feel accomplished in some capacity at least. i don't think many bands meg&dia ever toured with are still around even. & honestly, i didn't really like cocoon very much.

Serenity Now likes this.
  5. Thursdaysox

Exactly, she got to live the dream, even if it wasn't for as long as she would have liked.

6. heavyd

The music industry is a rough one. I appreciate her being honest and sharing her story/struggle. I think it would be okay to dive into different things now that she knows how difficult it is to try to pay her bills with only music. We live in a time where you can make music relatively cheap. Continue to make music, but pursue other things as well. There are countless opportunities available.

7. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

No one asked for your fucking sympathy though. That's not what this is about, and to reduce it down to a request for sympathy is patronizing and awful.

NL, Luroda, AshlandATeam and 10 others like this.
  8. Thursdaysox

Lol you got me.

9. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

Damn, this hit me hard.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  10. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

The whole "she's lucky she even got there" seems really bitter. I wouldn't call it luck over working hard, and when you work hard and it doesn't pan out, that's frustrating. This didn't come off as a sob story to me at all, but more someone talking about their feelings. God forbid she have feelings and speak about them.

Contender, Penguin, RJ Knorr and 6 others like this.
  11. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

i still remember finding out about Meg & Dia from my best friend in high school. Something Real/"Monster" and Here, Here, & Here we're so important during those days. i'm always wishing for the best for Dia, she deserves it.

and y'all are some messed up people. in no way is she trying to write a "sob story," or asking for any sympathy, she's sharing how hard it is for her trying to make a living doing what she loves (and bearing her heart in admitting she feels like she's failed sometimes)
    saying she should be "happy for what she got" is just straight up unnecessary

mercury and mattylikesfilms like this.
  12. mattylikesfilms Aug 31, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 31, 2016)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

This really hit me hard too. Wow. I moved to LA in 2009 to study Cinematography and chase the dream. It was a great time and I did a lot of cool shit (shot Kendick Lamar for section 80 at his place in Compton with Schoolboy and Ab) all the way till a year ago (last big video I shot was Young Jeezy's Holy Ghost).

One day, it finally hit me that I wanted more than the freelance life and that I had to close the door on my dreams of being a DP. Heartbreaking stuff. Being 29 as well and reading this article really hit me hard. I truly wish her the best of luck.

You gotta always chase the dream when you can or you'll live in regret and that's far worse than failure.

Oh and I don't get comments talking about how they "don't feel sorry for her". I did not read the article as a sob story or begging for attention. It was an honest write up and while a little sad to read, a great read none the less.

13. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

Being "successful" by any definition of the word is not at all synonymous with never having any hardships/regrets/frustrations. It's disappointing that people still feel the need to police "successful" people (especially women) for daring to have negative things to say about their experiences.

Such a great read. The bit about the advice she gave her sister hit hard... I never got that talk from anyone, and subsequently got talked out of my dreams. That kind of thing can make a huge difference.

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

That was a good write up. Also, she's not asking for sympathy, but it is really interesting to me that when a users favorite band breaks up for basically the same reasons she's got in her write up, sympathy is an overflowing river, but here it's like she doesn't deserve it? From the article, it seems like she's put in just as much time on the road as your favorite DIY band, maybe more if one considers the age she's been doing it from, and that in and of itself deserves some respect imo. I don't know her music but I hope things go well for her

AndrewSoup and mattylikesfilms like this.
  15. :clap::clap::clap:

16. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Good article by Dia. She has one of my favorite female voices (along with Jessica Leplon from the Morning Of). Dia's voice on Chicago and the cover of Mean. Fantastic stuff. I will definitely check this new album out, and I hope it does well for her.

17. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I could be misinterpreting her message - most of it was so obviously heartfelt and sincere, and the part where she chose to support her sister was beautiful. But I can't help to think that she seems more focused on the fact that she didn't make it "big" instead of just being able to make music and get it out there for others to be able to listen to, relate to, and ultimately fall in love with. I'm certainly no musician though, so my input in this situation carries very little weight because I'm just not knowledgeable enough in this business / career choice.

I can't say I know much about her solo work, but the albums she did with her sister were absolutely phenomenal (Something Real being my favorite). I've been meaning to check out her solo work though due to the couple tracks she's done recently for the show We Bare Bears which have all been beautiful. And from her explanation of her upcoming album, with all the emotion and work she's putting into it, I can't wait to hear it.

Thursdaysox likes this.
  18. jorbjorb

7 rings

just listened to her album. she's got a cool voice.

19. lolfpcmlol

Regular

Maybe i'm missing something, but what was the point of this article?

Serenity Now likes this.
  20. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

That was an intense article. It was inspiring and painful to read.

21. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Damn. My heart goes out to Dia. I always rooted for her and Meg & Dia to succeed.

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

I put M&D in the same "I can't believe they didn't end up ruling the world" camp as Acceptance. They should've broken through in a big way, and the fact that Warner fumbled so hard on HH&H is still galling to me. Much love to Dia for her honesty and tenacity.

Luroda, Jason Tate and St. Nate like this.
  23. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Part of the reason why I wanted M&D to succeed was because they were half Asian with cool Asian tans like me.

24. Penguin

just let me cry a little bit longer Prestigious

I haven't kept up with We Bare Bears in a while, but hearing this is making me put it on right now! It's such a great show and it's really exciting that they've worked with Dia.

25. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Dia fan since back in the day. Will support whatever she does.

Michael Schmidt likes this.