Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Facebook Fires Trending Topics Staff; Decision Immediately Backfires

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Facebook got rid of the human curators for their “trending news” section and then, predictably, had the algorithm shit the bed and surface a fake story:

Facebook cut its Trending Topics team on Friday in favor of employing algorithms to surface news stories on the social networking platform.

Then on Sunday a fake story about Megyn Kelly getting fired by Fox for being a secret liberal showed up among the Trending Topics after getting hundreds of thousands of likes.

The company didn’t take the story down until Monday morning.

2. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

So that's why the trending news on Facebook started to suck so bad. Good job Facebook!

3. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

Nailed it.

4. SoundInTheSignals

@Bake_Wear / soundinthesignals.com

I guess occasionally John Henry wins.

Essie likes this.
  5. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I noticed it changed recently. Hmmmm

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

I got so excited and shared this and then was embarrassed. Yup. Hate FOX News so much but part of me thinks Megyn is very intelligent. And not a total wacko.

7. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

So that's why the little humanized blurbs disappeared from the sidebar (though I think if you hover they're still in the tooltip... I guess they're computer-generated now?). Huh.

8. heymattrick

Sending my love

I was wondering why the summaries disappeared, and why the stories got even more irrelevant and outlandish...

Carmensaopaulo and Eric Wilson like this.
  9. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

I saw that story on Sunday I believe and immediately looked it up. Not one mention outside of that website I've never heard of. The only thing close were people drumming up the O'Reilly vs Kelly "pick one or the other, Fox News" story.

10. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

this is pretty concerning considering how important facebook is as a consolidator of news and information

supernovagirl likes this.
  11. heymattrick

Sending my love

Just saw that G Eazy did some cocaine off someone's boobs after his VMA performance the other night. Thanks Facebook trending topics.

12. Behind the Barricade

I've personally never tried it but what's with everyone's obsession with coke?

13. lolfpcmlol

Regular

Only one way to find out....

Carmensaopaulo and AndrewSoup like this.
  14. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

The trending topics are terrible now, I'll probably just stop even looking at them. I liked the way it was before.

15. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Facebook is awful. It's banning the most random things, not giving support to those who actually have been harassed. And is obviously fucking up the news. It's gotten worse than Twitter. Shame.

16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This is also why the McDonalds McChicken was trending. And it wasn't trending for a good reason...(NSFW if you want to look it up)

17. omgrawr

That loneliness is not a function of solitude.

Fake news for conservatives seems to be a key content type for Facebook so this seems appropriate.

18. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Likewise.

19. Will Montei

Man, I loved the old trending topics, too. I feel much less informed these days.

bd007h likes this.
  20. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

With the way these articles are quickly spread with no fact checking on part of those sharing, why did a huge corporation like Facebook not predict this as a result of their decision? I noticed the quality dip in FB's trending topics a while ago and completely stopped using it since (which means now I don't use Facebook at all). I hope other users do the same so Facebook will either hire back humans or go under. You know, either or.

21. RiseAgainst379

Regular

Never done it myself, but I asked a friend the same exact question once. His response verbatim was "it's like you're the Mayor of Awesomeville, and you built that shit up with your own hands."

I have a past with addiction, so I stayed far away after that.

22. Behind the Barricade

I've heard "It makes you feel like you're Superman". As tempting as it sounds, I know most of these drugs kill your wallet and eventually you.

23. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

FB is such a baffling company.