Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

How YouTube Hits Drive Revenue for James Corden

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Leo Barraclough, writing for Variety, on the revenue that “Carpool Karaoke” creates:

Digital is central to how the show is funded, primarily through brand integrations. For example, the “Carpool Karaoke” segment with Selena Gomez included a visit to a McDonald’s drive-thru, which was the result of a deal with the fast-food outlet. “That was an integration and it was incredibly profitable for the show,” Winston said, adding that it also generated 45 million views on YouTube. “We made sure it was incredibly subtle so our viewers would not for a second think that this was a sponsored bit. James and I debated it for many hours.”

The emphasis is mine. I really like Corden and his bit, but I really hate deceptive advertising. I’m actually surprised this isn’t a violation of some kind

2. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

I still find it odd how big Corden appears to be over in the States as he isn't particularly liked over here as he is subtle as a brick and a bit dumb.

Schooner likes this.
  3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Well, you guys had him for a long time or the point of overexposure. We've had him for a couple of years and until last year, he was fairly low-key.

4. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

He really isn't big over here. He just found a popular bit that's fading rather quickly.

5. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I do like James Cordon I think he's great at what he does but I have to admit the constant Carpool Karaoke will get old fast. I prefer it when things aren't over done.

6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I've never been a fan of what I've seen from him. He talks over ppl all the time. Craig Ferguson was great because he just talked to his guests and somehow made every single person that came through seem interesting and funny. But I guess that's not as profitable as singing in a car lol

7. MattNCheeze

Trusted

There was an early episode on StartUp where they got in trouble for "deceptive advertising", very intersting

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Craig is the best, remember his leave Britney alone monologue

Kingjohn_654 and Kiana like this.
  9. Kiana

Yes! I liked that he could get real and serious when he needed to be. He was so great! The only US talk show I ever bothered with

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  10. SayHello

Regular

I'm not that uneasy about it. It's no different than product placement in a tv show or movie. However, the deceptive online articles-sham-thing is completely abhorrent.

To a different topic, I dislike whatever that dude's name is and he isn't funny. The only reason the show has continued on is because of the success of that one bit. Ferguson, on the other hand, is the man.

11. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I mean, I don't care way or the other about him, but that's simply not true. He also has a successful "Celebrity Rap Battle" segment. And he continues on because he's in the late late spot, where ratings don't matter and he's created a super popular, something no other super late talk show has done.

12. Behind the Barricade

I think Jimmy Fallon's late late show is probably one of the most popular of all time rivaling Conan.

13. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

This happens in movies and television shows all of the time. Not sure why this is different.

goation likes this.
  14. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

conan? the conan who couldn't even keep the tonight show?
    you mean letterman right?

15. Behind the Barricade

I wasn't talking about the Tonight Show or the Late Show. I'm talking about the Late Late shows (the ones that start around 12:30am).

16. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

How sad that our popular culture is created to later be cannibalized for the purposes of selling a McMuffin. I guess it has always been that way, they just dropped the pretense.

17. Schooner

Trusted

Yeah. Not too sure how different to the Survivors getting Mountain Dew or calling home on a sprint phone given to them by Jeff Probst etc

supernovagirl likes this.
  18. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I somehow find Carpool Karaoke even less entertaining than lip sync battles

I wouldn't call either comedy though

Schooner likes this.
  19. Kiana

The only Carpook Karaoke I liked was One Direction's and that's cause Harry was singing like a jackass and then his voice cracked like it deserved

mercury likes this.