Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spotify Says They’re Not Demoting Songs in Search

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Peter Kafka, writing for Recode, reports that Spotify denies that they are demoting songs in search that have been exclusives on other streaming platforms:

Spotify doesn’t like it when big-name acts take their music to Apple or Tidal first.

But it’s not punishing them when they do, by making their stuff harder to find in the music service’s search results, the company says.

That accusation, sourced to anonymous sources in a Bloomberg report out today, is “unequivocally false,” says a Spotify rep.

Good.

2. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Maybe (probably) I use Spotify uniquely, but how much do people use search? Like, I know what I'm looking for when I use it. They can't demote a band when they are uniquely named, right? So when I search Bayside, Bayside will pop up. It won't be hidden. Unless I'm completely off base here.

Removing artists from playlists though would be egregious. That's straight up reaching in to their pockets. I understand that their playlists are curated by the service and so they can put whoever they want on it, but to think that could even be a possibility is just shameful. Only Spotify, internally, could truly know though. The rest could be written off to coincidence until it became so obvious. It's no surprise they're denying these allegations and hopefully that is the truth. I would consider ditching them if they engage in dirt like that. Screw that.

I wish this industry could work together to create the best outcomes for all involved. From the labels to the services to artists to the consumers, there's a middle ground we can reach where each get a fair deal/rate/price. I just feel like this industry gets in its own way and everyone loses because of it.