Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A GIF of Aly Raisman’s Floor Routine Got Someone Banned From Twitter

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jim Weber, writing on LinkedIn:

I had read that the IOC was banning the press from using GIFs but I didn’t see how that applied to me. Sure, I didn’t have the rights to any footage at the Olympics — just like countless blogs and users don’t have rights to the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and NCAA footage that they create GIFs out of and profit from every day.

But I figured the worst thing that would happen is the GIF would be deleted from my account, as Twitter often does in these situations.

Boy was I wrong.

2. ah yes posting a gif from the dumb olympics gets you permanently suspended from twitter but tweeting racist hate filled tweets and harassing women won't make twitter bat an eye - got it.

3. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

/thread

4. Muzick

Good. I personally don't have any sympathy for people crying, "well, everyone else was doing it...."

5. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

So he's surprised that, even though he admits to not having the rights to the footage and that anyone that knows anything realizes that the IOC is one of the strictest entities in terms of copyrights, he got banned? When he posted multiple copyrighted GIFs? And he's upset social media companies can shut down your account at their whim? Come on man, get a grip.

6. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Drew said it best, no need to repeat how backwards this looks for twitter. I also find it hilarious that the IOC & NFL don't see the positives of people posting gifs/vines. NBA lets that stuff go wild on social media and the league has benefited from it.

coleslawed, Raku and Carmensaopaulo like this.
  7. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Jason Tate likes this.